ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2270 of 3903
« First < 1270177021702220226022662267226822692270 227122722273227422802320237027703270 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
SupDock 09:16 PM 05-28-2020
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
Always love stories like this.
Me too. Appreciate the share
[Reply]
Bob Dole 09:26 PM 05-28-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Of course we know that the mitigation and social distancing helped to suppress the spread. Otherwise, there would be hundreds of thousands, if not millions more cases across the country. I can't believe that's in question.

That said, are there still questions about the effectiveness of masks, gloves and the near sterilization of items brought into the home? Yes, especially given that the WHO and CDC have found that it's highly unlikely that someone can acquire the virus from a contaminated surface.
How would we know about millions of more cases because TESTING?
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:39 PM 05-28-2020
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Do you trust the WHO completely? Do you believe they are politically unbiased? Or do they have a slant? I believe they are extremely biased in favor of China and therefore cannot be completley trusted.

I'd argue that most people complaining about the WHO have almost no knowledge of their history and wouldn't have been able to speak with any merit as to what they did before two months ago (or their history even now). I'd also argue that those claiming the WHO is in the back pocket of China are digesting their information from a very narrow band of sources, which isn't sufficiently explaining how it operates and what China's push to promote certain leaders in that organization did.

The WHO was the organization that put boots on the ground to eliminate smallpox, a disease that killed 300 million people in the 20th century alone. It's the only virus that has ever been eradicated, and they were as responsible for that success as anyone else.

They also provided the framework for the first international effort to address and tackle AIDS, which was led by an American named Johnathan Mann. Eventually, internal disputes about his role led to him resigning and the office went from 250 people down to four. The leadership vacuum was later assumed by UNAIDS. They are not perfect. The response to Ebola was criticized, but they also performed a number of other public health roles that have saved millions of lives that people have never heard about.

I'm not going to claim that they handled the situation well; they didn't. The reasons behind the decline of the WHO are interesting to read on their own, FWIW. But it's also easy to complain about that stuff three years later when faced with a terrible global pandemic, and it rings hollow when the same people in positions of power complaining about the WHO's actions were praising China's at the beginning of the year. Given that the US is the largest funding source of the WHO, one would expect a little more understanding of the WHO's internal functions at that time. Most bitching about the WHO's screwups is blame-shifting.

There exists a reality wherein China suppressed information and silenced whistleblowers that led to this becoming much worse (they did), the WHO bungled the response by not being sufficiently critical of China and listening to reports from others in Taiwan and southeast Asia (they weren't/didn't) and the US wasted weeks and weeks of forewarning (they did).

If we really believe in the idea of personal responsibility, then we also need to acknowledge our own failure in keeping this in check. It's not like the US didn't have preparedness plans or an outline for adequate stockpiles in place.
[Reply]
jdubya 09:59 PM 05-28-2020
Just came home from a block party and am happy to report folks are living life again. Noticed quite a few neighbors who were clean cut and shaven and they explained they called their barber privately and got haircuts "bandito style". lol. Good for them! Most civilians are out ahead of our "politicians" in getting back to work and that is fucking phenomenal in my opinion. Heard quite a few restaurants are serving business as normal again. WE will decide how we live thank you very much. Tomorrow there is a parade on my street for all graduates with pizza, drinks and all you can eat or drink. Fauci is invited if he wants to come
[Reply]
Donger 07:52 AM 05-29-2020
More than 2 million New Yorkers had been infected with Covid-19 by the end of March – about 10 times the official count, according to a new study.

State data, however, shows only about 189,000 cases by the end of March. That means about 1.8 million cases potentially went undetected.

Why cases may have been undercounted: There are several reasons why those cases were not detected, said study coauthor David Holtgrave, dean of the School of Public Health at the University at Albany.

Some infected people may have had no symptoms, or only mild symptoms, and so never went to the doctor, Holtgrave said. Others might have wanted to get tested but couldn’t find a doctor to test them, given the shortage of tests in February and March.

In the study, researchers drew blood from more than 15,000 New York adults and found that about 14%, or 1 out of 7, had antibodies to the virus, which means they had previously been infected. The researchers extrapolated that number to the entire population.
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 11:49 AM 05-29-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
More than 2 million New Yorkers had been infected with Covid-19 by the end of March – about 10 times the official count, according to a new study.

State data, however, shows only about 189,000 cases by the end of March. That means about 1.8 million cases potentially went undetected.

Why cases may have been undercounted: There are several reasons why those cases were not detected, said study coauthor David Holtgrave, dean of the School of Public Health at the University at Albany.

Some infected people may have had no symptoms, or only mild symptoms, and so never went to the doctor, Holtgrave said. Others might have wanted to get tested but couldn’t find a doctor to test them, given the shortage of tests in February and March.

In the study, researchers drew blood from more than 15,000 New York adults and found that about 14%, or 1 out of 7, had antibodies to the virus, which means they had previously been infected. The researchers extrapolated that number to the entire population.
Wonder what that means for IFR? Shouldn’t be hard but I don’t have the latest figures in front of me.
[Reply]
Donger 11:54 AM 05-29-2020
Originally Posted by Kidd Lex:
Wonder what that means for IFR? Shouldn’t be hard but I don’t have the latest figures in front of me.
1.4%
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 12:17 PM 05-29-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
1.4%
That’s still higher than I expected, but I’d guess that’s due to the nursing home statute that the state of NY followed. I’d like to see what that data means for the IFR as it relates to ages under 70.
[Reply]
AustinChief 01:12 PM 05-29-2020
Gang of monkeys attack lab worker and snatch blood samples of suspected Covid-19 patients in India

https://www.mercurynews.com/gang-of-...ients-in-india

So, what "gang" do they belong to? Bloods?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Donger 01:29 PM 05-29-2020
Originally Posted by AustinChief:
Gang of monkeys attack lab worker and snatch blood samples of suspected Covid-19 patients in India

Cheeks.
[Reply]
sedated 01:56 PM 05-29-2020
Originally Posted by AustinChief:

My first thought was "wow that's a really racist headline", but then saw its literally true.
[Reply]
petegz28 03:42 PM 05-29-2020
550 of the 738 deaths in Mo are people 70+. I would be curious to know how many of those people were in nursing homes or similar.
[Reply]
eDave 03:45 PM 05-29-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
My first thought was "wow that's a really racist headline", but then saw its literally true.
You missed the last sentence.
[Reply]
Monticore 04:10 PM 05-29-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
550 of the 738 deaths in Mo are people 70+. I would be curious to know how many of those people were in nursing homes or similar.
Not curious why or how the 188 under 70 died?
[Reply]
petegz28 04:36 PM 05-29-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Not curious why or how the 188 under 70 died?
Do you have a fucking reading comprehension problem? Did I say I wondered how these people died? No. I said I wondered how many of them were in a nursing home.

If you're going to intentionally be a dick do a better job of it.
[Reply]
Page 2270 of 3903
« First < 1270177021702220226022662267226822692270 227122722273227422802320237027703270 > Last »
Up