« First < 36436486526532533534535536 537538539540546586636 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
scho63 10:21 AM 02-28-2021
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Take a look at PIIHB
I have a feeling I would get fucked in the ass with that stock. :-)
[Reply]
scho63 10:22 AM 02-28-2021
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Sounds like a pump and dump.
Exactly right! :-)
[Reply]
scho63 10:23 AM 02-28-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
It sounds like a short-term hold. I'd recommend moving into pharmaceuticals afterward.
May be better to hedge and own the pharmaceuticals FIRST! :-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:26 AM 02-28-2021
FEEL LIKE WITH THE VACCINE NEWS GOOD TIMES ARE AHEAD BOYS
[Reply]
lewdog 01:58 PM 02-28-2021
Originally Posted by DJay23:
More great advice.

I was greedy with CCIV and was left holding the bag. Having just jumped in it was a big chunk of my portfolio and now I'm in the red. Obviously I should have sold. When I should have sold is what I didn't understand.

If I'm reading what you're saying right, I should have set my own number (10%?) and sold then? I know 10% is a nice return on long term investments, did you use that number because it is generally considered good for short term too?

Thanks again.
Just posting because I hope it helps someone.

There's plenty of ways to trade but these rules relate to technical analysis and Mark Minervini's principles. Rule #1, risk management and protect downside risk on all positions.

The key to trading is finding stocks on momentum, getting gains and getting out. This only works with defined rules. This is actually LESS risky then buy a stock on speculation and holding it long term like many people do.

10% profit is just an example, it really depends on how the stock is moving. But I generally sell 50% of my position if it gets to 10% profit. I may then leave the remaining 50% of the position to run, but move my stop loss up to break even. This way I cannot have a losing trade. If the stock continues to move up, I sell another 25% of the original position and continue to assess the stop loss placement. In last week's market, the goal was to get in and out of stocks quicker (3-6%) and run tighter stop losses because trades were having less success with all the volatility.

Tracking your trading data is necessary to determine your success. I put all my trades on a spreadsheet and track various stats (I'll post below). I got stopped out quickly on 4 positions last week and for 5-6% losses on all. That was not well played. Since I know my trading success was limited last week, I will only scale back into trading instead of trying to find all new positions to fill even though my account is currently 60% cash. So I may look to enter 1 or at most 2 positions to start this week, but I will not be finding 4-5 more entries until I see my success to start March. With all my stop losses last week, I am sitting 60% cash in my trading account (I had started the week only 10% cash).

The success of trading is determined by technical analysis, not fundamentals. It is based solely off reading charts. I look for breakouts, cup and handles and bottom reversals for entry. Stop losses are determined by recent lows or the 20/50 day moving averages. It really depends on how much the stock appears to be moving.

Here's where my January Trading ended up and what I track in my spreadsheet. I wasn't even able to meet 50% success in my trades (Batting average) but because my win/loss ratio was very good, my total account value increased 10% in January anyway. If more people understood this simple math, they wouldn't be hanging onto stocks like CCIV and GME for weeks/months at a time. By using technical analysis, I can ALWAYS find more setups I like and enter other trades. By following rules, I don't have the downside risk of seeing my capital disappearing and possibly never coming back with an individual stock.

January Totals (25 total trades closed in the month)
Average Wins 15%- Average days held 17.2
Average Losses 6.33%- Average days held 12.4
Batting average (success of trades) .454
Largest win 37.87%
Largest loss 9.99%

I pay for a stock screener called TC2000. It's $30 a month but saves me hours of time compared to researching charts on my own.

I can enter these conditions into the stock screener and they help locate breakout stocks to find charts for entry. These are the conditions I enter into my screener.
1. Current stock price is above the 50 day, 150, and 200 day moving average
2. 50 day moving average is above both the 150 and 200 MA
3. 150 MA is above the 200 MA
4. The 200 MA is trending up for at least 1 month
5. Volume - Greater than 100,000 2 bars ago
6. Stock price $5 or higher

This will provide me with over 1000 charts currently since this bull market is so extended. To narrow this down further to about 300 charts I will add percentage change in revenue last quarter to 20% or greater. I can also sort by stocks with RSI near 70 or higher.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:18 PM 02-28-2021

I've loaded the boat on ZOM during this correction!
I could maybe see ZOM. It's retraced close back to prior breakout which could be a good entry, above $1.50. If I pulled back to $1.60-65 you could get in and set stop loss at $1.50 for 6.2% risk.

Or better yet it would be nice if it would move sideways and consolidate nicely for a bit. Then you could look for new breakout on momentum up. It's healthy for stocks to move sideways after a breakout as many times this is shaking out the weak hands before a higher move.

[Reply]
DJay23 02:26 PM 02-28-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Just posting because I hope it helps someone.

There's plenty of ways to trade but these rules relate to technical analysis and Mark Minervini's principles. Rule #1, risk management and protect downside risk on all positions.

The key to trading is finding stocks on momentum, getting gains and getting out. This only works with defined rules. This is actually LESS risky then buy a stock on speculation and holding it long term like many people do.

10% profit is just an example, it really depends on how the stock is moving. But I generally sell 50% of my position if it gets to 10% profit. I may then leave the remaining 50% of the position to run, but move my stop loss up to break even. This way I cannot have a losing trade. If the stock continues to move up, I sell another 25% of the original position and continue to assess the stop loss placement. In last week's market, the goal was to get in and out of stocks quicker (3-6%) and run tighter stop losses because trades were having less success with all the volatility.

Tracking your trading data is necessary to determine your success. I put all my trades on a spreadsheet and track various stats (I'll post below). I got stopped out quickly on 4 positions last week and for 5-6% losses on all. That was not well played. Since I know my trading success was limited last week, I will only scale back into trading instead of trying to find all new positions to fill even though my account is currently 60% cash. So I may look to enter 1 or at most 2 positions to start this week, but I will not be finding 4-5 more entries until I see my success to start March. With all my stop losses last week, I am sitting 60% cash in my trading account (I had started the week only 10% cash).

The success of trading is determined by technical analysis, not fundamentals. It is based solely off reading charts. I look for breakouts, cup and handles and bottom reversals for entry. Stop losses are determined by recent lows or the 20/50 day moving averages. It really depends on how much the stock appears to be moving.

Here's where my January Trading ended up and what I track in my spreadsheet. I wasn't even able to meet 50% success in my trades (Batting average) but because my win/loss ratio was very good, my total account value increased 10% in January anyway. If more people understood this simple math, they wouldn't be hanging onto stocks like CCIV and GME for weeks/months at a time. By using technical analysis, I can ALWAYS find more setups I like and enter other trades. By following rules, I don't have the downside risk of seeing my capital disappearing and possibly never coming back with an individual stock.

January Totals (25 total trades closed in the month)
Average Wins 15%- Average days held 17.2
Average Losses 6.33%- Average days held 12.4
Batting average (success of trades) .454
Largest win 37.87%
Largest loss 9.99%

I pay for a stock screener called TC2000. It's $30 a month but saves me hours of time compared to researching charts on my own.

I can enter these conditions into the stock screener and they help locate breakout stocks to find charts for entry. These are the conditions I enter into my screener.
1. Current stock price is above the 50 day, 150, and 200 day moving average
2. 50 day moving average is above both the 150 and 200 MA
3. 150 MA is above the 200 MA
4. The 200 MA is trending up for at least 1 month
5. Volume - Greater than 100,000 2 bars ago
6. Stock price $5 or higher

This will provide me with over 1000 charts currently since this bull market is so extended. To narrow this down further to about 300 charts I will add percentage change in revenue last quarter to 20% or greater. I can also sort by stocks with RSI near 70 or higher.
This is great.

I was looking at this initially as a hobby I could get into. The naiivity/stupidity to think I could just throw money in after watching a few videos has put me behind. I love data collection and analysis so this is right up my alley.

Thank you again for sharing what you know. Obviously you have done this for a while and have some wisdom. I appreciate you sharing it.
[Reply]
eDave 02:29 PM 02-28-2021
This is great.

I was looking at this initially as a hobby I could get into. The naiivity/stupidity to think I could just throw money in after watching a few videos has put me behind. I love data collection and analysis so this is right up my alley.

Thank you again for sharing what you know. Obviously you have done this for a while and have some wisdom. I appreciate you sharing it.
Lot's of dudes trade well here. I suck ass at is so I don't. But I'd listen to what Lewdog says on the matter. The man has his shit together in all aspects of life.

Simmer it slow, like a proper sauce. HR hitters have a rather high strikeout rate. Joe DiMaggio only had 361 HR's. I'll take him over both those bash brother dorks.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:31 PM 02-28-2021
This is great.

Read this book and you'll be on your way.

https://www.amazon.com/Think-Trade-L...s%2C513&sr=8-3

I really enjoy this. It's a hobby for me as well but it's not a hobby in the sense that I am ok losing money at it! This is a hobby that is also about wealth building. It's very enjoyable to learn and determine your own strategy and technique. I've never taken a single business class, but if you give yourself enough time, you can learn anything.

Feel free to message me if you have questions.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:39 PM 02-28-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
Lot's of dudes trade well here. I suck ass at is so I don't. But I'd listen to what Lewdog says on the matter. The man has his shit together in all aspects of life.

Simmer it slow, like a proper sauce. HR hitters have a rather high strikeout rate.
You are the Bitcoin master!

I really only recommend trading if you have your other retirement accounts like 401k/IRAs getting pumped with money though. These should be heavily funded with indexes or mutual funds, starting young and NOT put in individual stocks. Also having an emergency savings fund (3-6 months of expenses).

After that, use trading/individual stock investing to improve wealth building since savings accounts and CDs give you nothing!
[Reply]
eDave 02:42 PM 02-28-2021
Originally Posted by lewdog:
You are the Bitcoin master!

I really only recommend trading if you have your other retirement accounts like 401k/IRAs getting pumped with money though. These should be heavily funded with indexes or mutual funds, starting young and NOT put in individual stocks. Also having an emergency savings fund (3-6 months of expenses).

After that, use trading/individual stock investing to improve wealth building since savings accounts and CDs give you nothing!
Love you too. Bitcoin is easy. I put a dollar in, I won a car. I put a dollar in, I won a car. I put a dollar in, I won a car.

You could use a little more risk in your life though. :-)
[Reply]
lewdog 02:45 PM 02-28-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
Love you too. Bitcoin is easy. I put a dollar in, I won a car. I put a dollar in, I won a car. I put a dollar in, I won a car.

You could use a little more risk in your life though. :-)
Ain't that the truth! I just can't do it though.

Stay well young man.

xoxo
Lewdog
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:03 PM 02-28-2021
Did this thread just turn fucking ghey!
[Reply]
eDave 03:06 PM 02-28-2021
Did this thread just turn fucking ghey!
You are a different thing. Stretching that retirement money is noble af. Mad respect.
[Reply]
lewdog 03:06 PM 02-28-2021
ABEO for you degenerate gamblers!

Also adding LMAT to the list and would look for entry at $50.50 if it moved slightly down. Been moving in consistent base since end of January and made strong move Friday.
[Reply]
Page 536 of 934
« First < 36436486526532533534535536 537538539540546586636 > Last »
Up