ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 18 of 19
« First < 81415161718 19 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Do you own an Electric car or plan to buy one
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:14 PM 02-17-2021
I plan to get one in the future, what are your plans?

If so what are your pluses or minuses ?
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:17 AM 01-06-2022
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
They did what? Is it an electric only tailgate?
Yeah. It blows. Your boy here put a pronghorn box on.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 09:47 AM 01-06-2022
Originally Posted by TimBone:
That's the big question for me. I don't care about the sheek look.

And I think most folks arguing every point against the truck are likely doing it out of instinct against electric vehicles.

Still, show me the range while towing and some consistency, and Im way in on this.
I'm a hot rod lover to the bone, but the winds of change are blowing. When EV becomes truly practical ill gladly jump on board. But one of my current goals is to finish my old two stroke quadracer 250 build and take my kid out west to glamis. If i have to stop 6 times to charge between tulsa and socal its not going to work for me lol. I regularly pull a trailer to Dallas/KC/Arkansas/little sahara Oklahoma. A 400 mile towing range would work for me there, but idk about cross country vacations.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:47 AM 01-06-2022
Originally Posted by RedRaider56:
Oh I understand completely. I'm always cleaning oak leaves and junk out of the bed rails on my Avalanche.
While I might not be a construction guy doing "real work" with my Avalanche, I will tell you it has hauled plenty of roofing material, sheetrock, lumber etc over its lifetime.
Not many complaints on it either, except at 280,000 miles, I finally need to be looking for a new truck.
Notorious pulls trailers more than me. Most of the summer I pull a tiny little trailer with a 4 wheeler on it, but most of the time if hauling needs to be done I use a semi. He'd be a good litmus test of towing.

My rig hauls around like 1000ish lb of tools everywhere then beat all that shit down horribad ass country roads, worse field trails, and periodically bouncing through fields.

Most of the roads in my part of the world have a gyp base which is a white super calcarious soft rock. The ones that are dirt only have enough clay in them that the dust that is kicked up by me (and everyone else) is incredibly fine. Shit straight up gets everywhere. It needs to be determined how this will affect the electric motors. That dry ass dust can create static. Sticks in whatever lube they're using.

Mud is an entirely different animal but it needs to be legitimately tested for also.

Big thing is it will stress the suspension as I'm guessing it weighs more than ICE. Plus the shit I haul around over washboards, rough roads, potholes, etc.

Fact is this, while in a similar shape to my wagon probably has 0 comparable parts to mine other than the cab.
[Reply]
stevieray 09:58 AM 01-06-2022
Originally Posted by kstater:
Have you priced new trucks lately?
Ya, it's a complete and total ripoff.
[Reply]
Lzen 10:11 AM 01-06-2022
Originally Posted by Realbaddog:
I have had a 2016 Tesla Model S for 3 years now, and have no concerns running AC, radio, headlights, etc. even in 90 degree + temps. I don't see more than a 1% drop in the battery. Now, in really cold weather (like today) when running the heater at 72, I'm seeing around a 5% drop....... note that keeping the battery temp optimal in extreme hot/cold is really the big pull on the battery.

My range on my car is 274 miles on a full charge, (but never charge it to 100% unless taking a trip, always charge at 80%) My longest trip was to Moab UT. and back (Olathe, KS) in the Summer of 2019. Other than stopping to charge, ( the car maps out for you to the SuperChargers) I had no issues. Average speed was 75, average temp was 90+ except in the high mountains. I was so impressed and so was my wife, I ended up buying another used 2018 Tesla Model X for her (after her repeated requests). So now we own 2....... Both were purchased used....... (no way I could afford a new S or X)

range anxiety is a real thing, until you have your electric car for a few weeks/months or take a trip........ just plan ahead and you are golden. Have only replaced the tires on my S, and windshield wipers and fluid...........been great so far.
How much did you pay for your car and your wife's car?

How many stops did you have to make on your trip?

How long did it take to charge at those stops?
[Reply]
Dunerdr 10:28 AM 01-06-2022
Unrealated but semi related i guess. The Dodge rams have the etorque where the electric motor adds extra hp when needed like a weird semi hybrid. I'd be far more interested in a hybrid truck than full electric just for recharging and long trip reasons.
[Reply]
meleknistra 02:33 PM 01-07-2022
We are looking at Nissan Leaf as a spare family car to run the errands etc. Still want to check with advance auto parts phone number (or just contact their customer service here) if it is a good idea and how easy or difficult it is to find parts and accessories for this car in our nearest store.
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:42 PM 01-07-2022
Originally Posted by mac459:
Here is some new EV news that’s awesome

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/am...r-next-energy/
Thats fairly incredible.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:47 PM 01-07-2022
Originally Posted by meleknistra:
We are looking at Nissan Leaf as a spare family car to run the errands etc
Let me know if you have any questions. My wife has driven a 2018 Leaf for nearly four years now. I wouldn't want to take a cross-country trip in one, but they're great to just run around town with.
[Reply]
DaFace 02:50 PM 01-07-2022
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Thats fairly incredible.
I think something that gets lost in lots of conversations about EVs is just how quickly the technology is moving. Gas cars essentially have a 100-year head start in terms of tech development. The EVs of 2030 will be wildly more capable of those we have today, which is why there's so much momentum behind them right now.

If an EV isn't for you yet based on range, charging speeds, and infrastructure, that's perfectly understandable. But keep an eye on them. Every year brings better options.
[Reply]
Donger 03:18 PM 01-07-2022
https://www.npr.org/2022/01/04/10702...uild-its-seats

Mercedes-Benz has unveiled a new futuristic and sustainable electric concept car — one that could one day take drivers from New York City to Detroit on just a single charge.

The car, which the German automaker has dubbed the VISION EQXX, can travel roughly 1,000 kilometers, or about 620 miles, on a single charge based on computer simulated testing. By comparison, the first Nissan Leaf electric vehicle could go 74 miles on a single charge; many electric cars today can go about 300 miles or more on one charge.
[Reply]
ILChief 03:18 PM 01-07-2022
I may get an F150 lightning like five years
[Reply]
notorious 03:25 PM 01-07-2022
There will be breakthroughs in tech that will make us laugh about our concerns the next 10 years.
[Reply]
frozenchief 12:18 PM 01-13-2022
Is this just Tesla or EVs in general? Makes me not want an EV:

https://electrek.co/2022/01/12/tesla...failing-badly/
[Reply]
DaFace 12:22 PM 01-13-2022
Originally Posted by frozenchief:
Is this just Tesla or EVs in general? Makes me not want an EV:

https://electrek.co/2022/01/12/tesla...failing-badly/
All EVs will use an alternate heat system of some sort - heat pumps being the most common. When you don't have an engine that produces heat through energy loss, you have to generate it another way.

I haven't heard of major issues, though. Even articles like these don't really quantify the issue beyond the fact that some people have had it happen and complained about it online.
[Reply]
Page 18 of 19
« First < 81415161718 19 >
Up