ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 13
« First < 678910 111213 >
Media Center>The Greatest Live Albums ever recorded. Who ya got?
scho63 05:09 AM 04-23-2020
I realize that bands like the Beatles had no real "live" albums and it started around the late 70's - early 80's.

So who has the greatest LIVE albums?

I'll start with the (3) that made the most impact on me:

1. Kiss ALIVE!
2. Frampton Comes Alive!
3. Ted Nugent Double Live Gonzo!

Maybe it was the "exclamation points" that did it for me! :-)

What live stuff rocked your world? :-)

EDIT: Bootlegs prior to real LIVE albums don't count. Having someone steal Hendrix before he ever made his own live album doesn't count.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 04:44 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Ha! You've had the same exact experience as me! I tune down 1/2 a step as well.

The Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats are the closest I've found to the Fender Nickel Flatwounds, so I guess I'll just stick with them.

Thanks!
Those Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats are cheap enough; I'm going to get a set to try out, I've never used them before.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:49 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Those Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats are cheap enough; I'm going to get a set to try out, I've never used them before.
I've got a set on my '53 reissue P Bass, which looks like a Tele bass but has a contoured back. As I mentioned earlier, I'm rolling off the top end a bit more than with the nickel flats but in a mix, I can't tell any difference in tone.

Good luck!
[Reply]
rabblerouser 04:54 PM 05-13-2020
I've got a set on my '53 reissue P Bass, which looks like a Tele bass but has a contoured back. As I mentioned earlier, I'm rolling off the top end a bit more than with the nickel flats but in a mix, I can't tell any difference in tone.

Good luck!
I'm going to put them on my VM TB P-bass, which is like a 70s Tele bass but is also a contoured back and it has that mudbucker in that is absolutely muddy - which is why I'm putting a 3 way switch on it to split the coil (it's a $400 bass, so I don't mind hacking on it and modding it out. My '62 is bone stock, except for the strap locks).

Thanks for the tip!
[Reply]
rabblerouser 05:00 PM 05-13-2020
Originally Posted by Stryker:

KISS Alive II
The only part of that one that is live may actually be Peter's drums.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this, as edited and overdubbed as it is :

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:08 PM 05-13-2020
I'm going to put them on my VM TB P-bass, which is like a 70s Tele bass but is also a contoured back and it has that mudbucker in that is absolutely muddy - which is why I'm putting a 3 way switch on it to split the coil (it's a $400 bass, so I don't mind hacking on it and modding it out. My '62 is bone stock, except for the strap locks).

Thanks for the tip!
I just hope that you like them! If the bass is a bit muddy, they may end up working out perfectly. :-)
[Reply]
rabblerouser 06:13 PM 05-13-2020
I just hope that you like them! If the bass is a bit muddy, they may end up working out perfectly. :-)
It's muddy and the pickup's output is HOT, HOT, HOT!

Sounds like they would be a match.
[Reply]
scho63 08:43 AM 05-14-2020
Originally Posted by penchief:
Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out, is a rock and roll gem.
Just listed to this over a couple of days. Really awesome! :-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:18 AM 05-14-2020
Originally Posted by backinblack:
Cheap Trick Live at Budokan
Yuuuuup. Figured that one had to have been named by now.

Queen did a couple of good live albums as well. Live Killers is probably the best one though Live at Wembley is amazing in its own right and Live at the Rainbow has some earlier stuff that you don't hear played very often that they put some interesting spins on - Seven Seas of Rhye gets overlooked in their catalogue but they absolutely kill it on that album.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 10:33 AM 05-14-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Yuuuuup. Figured that one had to have been named by now.

Queen did a couple of good live albums as well. Live Killers is probably the best one though Live at Wembley is amazing in its own right and Live at the Rainbow has some earlier stuff that you don't hear played very often that they put some interesting spins on - Seven Seas of Rhye gets overlooked in their catalogue but they absolutely kill it on that album.
King Biscuit Flower Hour broadcast a Queen concert live some time around 1979 or 1980 that was freaking unbelievable. I was a young teenager at the time but I remember thinking it was better than any live album that Queen had produced up until that time.

Brian May's playing that night was nothing short of amazing. Brighton Rock blew my mind.
[Reply]
scho63 11:01 AM 05-14-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Queen did a couple of good live albums as well. Live Killers is probably the best one though Live at Wembley is amazing in its own right and Live at the Rainbow has some earlier stuff that you don't hear played very often.
I completely forgot about Queen- I loved them growing up.

I'm going to look this one up! Thanks....:-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:17 AM 05-14-2020
King Biscuit Flower Hour broadcast a Queen concert live some time around 1979 or 1980 that was freaking unbelievable. I was a young teenager at the time but I remember thinking it was better than any live album that Queen had produced up until that time.

Brian May's playing that night was nothing short of amazing. Brighton Rock blew my mind.
Yeah, when I started this post it was essentially centered around that Brighton Rock track because that was the song I remembered from the album. I first thought it was on Live at the Rainbow but I checked the discography and it isn't. So i went hunting and found Live Killers. Went through the track list and realized I had it turned around in my head and Killers was the one that floored me.

It isn't often you hear a live version of a song that you NEVER hear on the radio and that's what you come away with years later. That's how damn good that rendition is.

There's another song that I just can't think of right now where they take one of their real early releases and speed it up - wish I could remember it and I may try to find it later. In either event, it makes the song go from forgettable to outstanding with what appears to be little more than a signature change. Gives it almost a swing feel. Bummed out I can't remember it at the moment.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 02:26 PM 05-14-2020
I have the 1962 Fender AVRI P-bass, 2012 reissue, a Squier 50's CV P-bass with a Lollar pickup and Gotoh tuners, and 2 Bass VIs. I also have a Squier TB P-bass with Gotoh Vintage reverse tuners that I'm in the process of splitting the coils on the 'mudbucker' pickup it came with. Oh, and I have a 70's Kay copy of a Gibson EB-0 that i upgraded the tuners on...

My amps are the real deal - SVT-VR, Mid 70s V4-B (Magnovox era with white rocker switches), and a 50w '68 Bassman with the blackface mod.

Cabs: mid 90s Ampeg 810e, mid 70s V4 412 (upgraded with Eminence Deltalite IIs), and a late 60s Showman 212.

I also have a 50w Bassman 10 from the mid 70s that I need to put new speakers in.

Need to retube and bias the 68 Bassman, too.

Been busy restringing and getting stuff ready to (hopefully) play shows soon. Flatwound bass strings have gotten EXPENSIVE over the past 2 years. Last time I bought strings before the quarantine, D'Addario Chrome Flats were like $25. They're $40 now, so I switched to Fenders.

Been restringing my guitars with the new "Burley Slinkys" by Ernie Ball.
My best "Vintage" amp is an ACC 360/361. Still plays like the day I bought it in '70. The only time I have really got into flat wounds were with my Pastorius Fretless. Other than that, I am a DR Strings (round wound) kind of guy.. :-)

When I first bought my 4001 - Ric was dead set against using round wounds. Worked well for me!

That VR is a keeper - as is the V4-B - I briefly had a Fender bassman, but traded it back in the day for a used Corvair. Loved that stupid car, but yeah, it was junk.... :-)
[Reply]
rabblerouser 12:03 AM 07-14-2020
Ha! You've had the same exact experience as me! I tune down 1/2 a step as well.

The Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats are the closest I've found to the Fender Nickel Flatwounds, so I guess I'll just stick with them.

Thanks!
Hey Dane,

What you know about Pyramid Gold Nickel Flats?

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/pyr-bass-long.html

Just got a new J bass (been a P guy all my life, but this thing fell in my lap), and I'm going to put these things on it.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 12:05 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
My best "Vintage" amp is an ACC 360/361. Still plays like the day I bought it in '70. The only time I have really got into flat wounds were with my Pastorius Fretless. Other than that, I am a DR Strings (round wound) kind of guy.. :-)

When I first bought my 4001 - Ric was dead set against using round wounds. Worked well for me!

That VR is a keeper - as is the V4-B - I briefly had a Fender bassman, but traded it back in the day for a used Corvair. Loved that stupid car, but yeah, it was junk.... :-)
I'd LOVE to have an Acoustic 360/361 - those things are classic! With the bass fuzz built in! Awesome rig. I have an Acoustic b200 combo for a practice rig...it's pretty awesome for what it is.

Yes, I'll never part with my Ampegs, when I get old and can't lift them I'll set them up at home and leave them.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 02:22 PM 07-14-2020
I'd LOVE to have an Acoustic 360/361 - those things are classic! With the bass fuzz built in! Awesome rig. I have an Acoustic b200 combo for a practice rig...it's pretty awesome for what it is.

Yes, I'll never part with my Ampegs, when I get old and can't lift them I'll set them up at home and leave them.

There was dude up in PA (I think) that brought the 360/361 back - looked and sounded (actually) better than the original. Russ Alee, the granddad of ACC, was instrumental in the "re-birth" of the Amp - they also had another version which had a single 15 in it. 360/361 Mini.

Unfortunately, Guitar Center had bought the rights to the brand and brought the Chinese version of Acoustic back and they threatened law suits if they didn't stop production immediately. Down the tubes it went. As I understand it Flea - from RHCP bought 5 of them and they are now on Ebay after their last tour.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Acoustic-36...MAAOSwEj5eQjT~

Damned shame really - but I have been a Fender and Ampeg guy all my life - but the 360/361 has always been in a class by itself. Unfortunately, I can no longer heft the ACC or the Ampeg SVTs.......but I still love looking at them! :-)
[Reply]
Page 10 of 13
« First < 678910 111213 >
Up