ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 13
1 234511 > Last »
Media Center>The Greatest Live Albums ever recorded. Who ya got?
scho63 05:09 AM 04-23-2020
I realize that bands like the Beatles had no real "live" albums and it started around the late 70's - early 80's.

So who has the greatest LIVE albums?

I'll start with the (3) that made the most impact on me:

1. Kiss ALIVE!
2. Frampton Comes Alive!
3. Ted Nugent Double Live Gonzo!

Maybe it was the "exclamation points" that did it for me! :-)

What live stuff rocked your world? :-)

EDIT: Bootlegs prior to real LIVE albums don't count. Having someone steal Hendrix before he ever made his own live album doesn't count.
[Reply]
Frazod 05:41 AM 04-23-2020
Hell Freezes Over, Eagles. I saw them twice on that tour and they were pretty much flawless. I particularly enjoyed their acoustic performances of Walsh's Help Me Through the Night and Henley's Heart of the Matter, which unfortunately didn't make the CD but are on the DVD.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 05:46 AM 04-23-2020
Nirvana. MTV unplugged. Amazing
[Reply]
siberian khatru 05:52 AM 04-23-2020
The Who Live at Leeds
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 06:09 AM 04-23-2020
Iron Maiden Live after Death. It was recorded largely at Los Angeles, but parts were in Hammersmith Odeon in England. It was Iron Maiden at their peak time in the mid-80's. God, I wore that thing out. Still listen to it.

Ozzy Osbourne Tribute - Tribute to Randy Rhodes. Just awesome live shit from Randy. Included the bonus track of Dee out takes.

Metallica - Live Shit Binge and Purge - Recorded in Mexico City. One thing about Metallica live, they speed like crazy. Seems like they are not disciplined with their tempo...and the also don't give a shit. That album was basically the Black Album tour in Mexico City, and is their first and IMO is their best live stuff period.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 06:17 AM 04-23-2020
Ministry: In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up.

[Reply]
Dartgod 06:34 AM 04-23-2020
Deep Purple: Made in Japan

The 20 minute version of Space Truckin' is epic.

[Reply]
Dartgod 06:36 AM 04-23-2020
REO - Live: You Get What You Play For
[Reply]
Ubeja Vontell 07:11 AM 04-23-2020
As good as kt gets...

[Reply]
DeepPurple 07:39 AM 04-23-2020
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Deep Purple: Made in Japan

The 20 minute version of Space Truckin' is epic.
I saw Deep Purple on the '72 tour in Savannah, Georgia. Space Truckin was nice, but Child in Time with Gillan vocals are incredible.

The live album I've actually played the most would be Uriah Heep Live January '73. I was lucky enough to see them in '75 with the vocalist the late David Byron in St. Petersburg, Florida.

My most played live album of the 80's was Peter Gabriel Plays live.

[Reply]
phisherman 07:43 AM 04-23-2020
Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus
Leonard Cohen - Live in London
Iron Maiden - Live After Death
Rush - Exit...Stage Left
[Reply]
penchief 07:49 AM 04-23-2020
Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out, is a rock and roll gem. The two Chuck Berry covers couldn’t groove any more than they do. Stray Cat Blues is simultaneously disturbing and brilliant. And, IMO, it contains the best versions of Jumpin’ Jack Flash, Midnight Rambler, Sympathy For The Devil, Honky Tonk Women, and Street Fighting Man. It’s amazing how tight the band is while sounding grungy, raw, and loose. I would hold it up as the best example of late sixties, early seventies rock and ROLL. This is the Stones at the peak of their powers, IMO.

Jerry Lee Lewis, Live at the Star Club, is indescribable. He literally kicks ass from start to finish. It’s only about 30 minutes long but even I’m exhausted when it’s over. In addition to exhilarating versions of his own songs, he covers Money, Good Golly Miss Molly, Hound Dog, and Long Tall Sally, and OWNS them. This album totally smokes.

A personal favorite of mine that I think is under appreciated is, Rare Earth In Concert. It contains a 23 minute version of Get Ready that totally kicks ass. Covers of What’d I Say and I’m Losing You are really really good. Rare Earth was a great live band.
[Reply]
Why Not? 08:14 AM 04-23-2020
Skynyrd. One More from the Road
[Reply]
backinblack 08:17 AM 04-23-2020
Allman Bros At Fillmore East

Skynyrd One More From the Road

Cheap Trick Live at Budokan
[Reply]
KC_Lee 08:37 AM 04-23-2020
Queensryche Operation Livecrime
[Reply]