ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 112
« First < 51112131415 161718192565 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach is the best GM in the NFL
staylor26 11:51 AM 07-14-2020
I don’t think it’s even debatable at this point
[Reply]
lcarus 09:27 PM 09-28-2021
Veach was laser focused and hellbent on revamping the offensive line and protecting our half billion dollar QB. I'm very pleased with the results. Next year we can fill in some of the other holes.
[Reply]
Direckshun 09:45 PM 09-28-2021
He’s done a really sturdy job given the cap he’ll we’ve been in. The Mahomes contract alone was maybe the most brilliant contract I’ve ever seen.

That said, we’re paying for the 2018 draft right now. Our depth along the D is poor, and the big money contracts given out on D are starting to sour: Hitchens’ was never good, and now Frank’s is an albatross. He’ll be able to finally manage those this offseason.

But goddamn, he has maybe his toughest offseason ahead of him. He’s probably going to have to let Badger and Ward walk, and completely rebuild our secondary. He’s going to have to completely retool the DE. He’s going to have to find that tertiary threat at WR, extend Hill and Brown.

With almost no cap space, that’s a tall order. I don’t know if he has it in him. But he’s shown that while his roster management is merely adequate, when he hyper-focuses on a specific weakness of the roster, he obliterates it.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:04 PM 09-28-2021
Originally Posted by lcarus:
Veach was laser focused and hellbent on revamping the offensive line and protecting our half billion dollar QB. I'm very pleased with the results. Next year we can fill in some of the other holes.
The defense loses in embarrassing fashion. So he fires sutton.

In one offseason he transitions from Suttons 3-4 to spags 4-3. The defense struggles mid season. So he goes out and gets Pennel and suggs. We win the super bowl.

This offseason he adds 5 new OL after a super bowl embarrassment. Which wasn't even his fault given we played all backups.

The WRs struggle so he gets Josh Gordon.

Is anyone actually worried that veach isn't going go work his ass off to fix any problems we have? The guy has been a goddamn magician. He may not always get it right the first time. But he is quick to find his mistakes and try like hell to fix it.
[Reply]
JPH83 02:59 AM 09-29-2021
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:

In one offseason he transitions from Suttons 3-4 to spags 4-3. The defense struggles mid season. So he goes out and gets Pennel and suggs. We win the super bowl.

This offseason he adds 5 new OL after a super bowl embarrassment. Which wasn't even his fault given we played all backups.

Is anyone actually worried that veach isn't going go work his ass off to fix any problems we have? The guy has been a goddamn magician. He may not always get it right the first time. But he is quick to find his mistakes and try like hell to fix it.
I think you're right to say a strength of his is decisiveness - he doesn't sit around and wait, and he seems to recognise his mistakes, think that's a big plus. The big issue for me this year is his work on the DL. It's been a mess so far. Pretty sure it'll improve and I'm interested to see what he does.

Aside from that, I don't think he's been stellar in the draft. But there are a lot of players he's brought in that have shown they can contribute, we just need to get consistency - Gay, Thornhill, Sneed etc. That's as much on the coaching staff and players as it is him.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 04:24 AM 09-29-2021
He needs to be proactive in get a few pieces on defense. A DE, Corner and LB are areas he should be looking at.
[Reply]
tredadda 06:53 AM 09-29-2021
Originally Posted by JPH83:
I think you're right to say a strength of his is decisiveness - he doesn't sit around and wait, and he seems to recognise his mistakes, think that's a big plus. The big issue for me this year is his work on the DL. It's been a mess so far. Pretty sure it'll improve and I'm interested to see what he does.

Aside from that, I don't think he's been stellar in the draft. But there are a lot of players he's brought in that have shown they can contribute, we just need to get consistency - Gay, Thornhill, Sneed etc. That's as much on the coaching staff and players as it is him.
Is that really on Veach though? Clark is non existent, but we can't get out of his contract until this off season. I don't believe anyone thought when we traded for him he would be this bad in year 3. Reed was viewed as an under the radar signing that has yet to pan out like we thought he would. Jones is the 2nd or 3rd best DT in the league that the coaches have playing DE for some weird reason. Nnadi is viewed as a solid run stopper who isn't playing like it at the moment. It's easy to blame Veach for the Dline, but he has addressed it. If the players were performing up to their talent level, we would have one of the top lines in the NFL.
[Reply]
tredadda 06:56 AM 09-29-2021
Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger:
He needs to be proactive in get a few pieces on defense. A DE, Corner and LB are areas he should be looking at.
He has in this regards with Gay and Bolton. Bolton looks solid so far and if Gay could somehow rid himself of Watkins disease he looks like he can be a stud as well. I do think we need another one to replace Neiman though, so hopefully he addresses that this offseason.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:08 AM 09-29-2021

Agreed. But his haul is better than it looks.... he's been effective in the draft given where he's drafted. And given that he mortgaged several first rounders to chase a super bowl. After the first draft, it's not even like his mistakes are egregious. Mecole, CEH, thornhill are at least role players at worst.

But when you look at his haui

The entire OL
Ward/snead/Fenton/hughes/baker/thornhill
Butkicker
Fingers crossed on Noah gray

While we've been spotty on the front 7 I wouldn't call it a disaster. We've added some decent pieces. Just missing a consistent ppresence. These guys aren't terrible
TNnadi/saunders/wharton
Bolton/gay
[Reply]
Eleazar 07:13 AM 09-29-2021

Right. This isn’t King Carl. He will work aggressively on the problems, but there’s only so much draft capital and only so many free agents each year that are of the required quality.
[Reply]
JPH83 07:13 AM 09-29-2021
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Is that really on Veach though? Clark is non existent, but we can't get out of his contract until this off season. I don't believe anyone thought when we traded for him he would be this bad in year 3. Reed was viewed as an under the radar signing that has yet to pan out like we thought he would. Jones is the 2nd or 3rd best DT in the league that the coaches have playing DE for some weird reason. Nnadi is viewed as a solid run stopper who isn't playing like it at the moment. It's easy to blame Veach for the Dline, but he has addressed it. If the players were performing up to their talent level, we would have one of the top lines in the NFL.
Probably true on Clark re predictions. I agree he's addressed the DL, my point is just that this year he's done a poor job of doing so. Nnadi was a good draft imo, but Reed was a poor signing, a guy that hasn't actually been good for the last couple of years but who people seemed to think was the 17-18 version not the more likely 19-20 version.

But in any case I largely agree with your point and it goes beyond the DL. Nnadi, Wharton and Saunders have all shown enough in patches to believe they are underperforming. Sneed too. That suggests it's not all on Veach - but if they never flash again we might need to reevaluate their value as picks and Veach's draft record. If players don't perform, maybe they're just not that good.
[Reply]
-King- 07:15 AM 09-29-2021
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Isn't it his job to project how good players will be? I understand giving a GM some leeway cause of injury, but bad performance? That makes no sense. L
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 07:19 AM 09-29-2021
One move that’ll work instantly is to play Thornhill and bench Sorensen
[Reply]
JPH83 07:22 AM 09-29-2021
Agreed. But his haul is better than it looks.... he's been effective in the draft given where he's drafted. And given that he mortgaged several first rounders to chase a super bowl. After the first draft, it's not even like his mistakes are egregious. Mecole, CEH, thornhill are at least role players at worst.

But when you look at his haui

The entire OL
Ward/snead/Fenton/hughes/baker/thornhill
Butkicker
Fingers crossed on Noah gray

While we've been spotty on the front 7 I wouldn't call it a disaster. We've added some decent pieces. Just missing a consistent ppresence. These guys aren't terrible
TNnadi/saunders/wharton
Bolton/gay
I think this is all fair, and to be honest given most picks are still early in their careers it's tough to write anyone off, even if you'd like more from them when they're cheap. I do think Mecole and CEH are just bad picks at this point, but that's partly because I don't like a RB in R1, both can still be contributors.

Later rounds are there to swing the bat. If you get a Sneed and a Smith 4-6 you can be forgiven for whiffing on Gray and Kaindoh - if that happens. Early days.
[Reply]
tredadda 08:21 AM 09-29-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
Isn't it his job to project how good players will be? I understand giving a GM some leeway cause of injury, but bad performance? That makes no sense. L
So Veach when trading for Clark should have magically predicted that by year three he was going to be this bad? If he was a descending player when Veach traded for him, that would be one thing. If he was 33 when the trade would happen, then you would be correct. Neither was the case. No way to know or predict outside of using hindsight he would drop off. Most people think Nnadi is good enough that we might not retain him after this season. Jones' performance has only dropped because they are playing him out of position. The Reed signing was highly praised at the time, it's only now........in hindsight........that it is being questioned. No one on the line was predicted to play as poorly as they have and to think the GM is supposed to just look into his crystal ball and see that is foolish and just a way for fans to point the finger at someone besides the underperforming player.
[Reply]
tredadda 08:37 AM 09-29-2021
Probably true on Clark re predictions. I agree he's addressed the DL, my point is just that this year he's done a poor job of doing so. Nnadi was a good draft imo, but Reed was a poor signing, a guy that hasn't actually been good for the last couple of years but who people seemed to think was the 17-18 version not the more likely 19-20 version.

But in any case I largely agree with your point and it goes beyond the DL. Nnadi, Wharton and Saunders have all shown enough in patches to believe they are underperforming. Sneed too. That suggests it's not all on Veach - but if they never flash again we might need to reevaluate their value as picks and Veach's draft record. If players don't perform, maybe they're just not that good.
I disagree with the bolded parts. He hasn't done a poor job on the Dline. They have just terribly underperformed. That is on the coaches and players. I would agree about him doing a poor job on the Dline if our starting four were nothing but UDFAs or over the hill vets looking for one more payday and a possible ring. It's not. There is talent there and if they perform at the level they are supposed to we would be praising his work on the Dline. Outside of Jones we could lose 3/4 of that line at the end of the year.

Reed was almost universally praised as a great under the radar signing. Its only after three games when he has not played well that we are bashing the signing. That's just something this board is almost legendary for though outside a few players. We love the pick or signing until they don't live up to expectations and then we point fingers. Just wait till Creed or Trey has a bad game and watch how many turn on them or the GM for terrible picks.

Veach is not perfect and he has some headscratcher picks (like Speaks and to a point Hardman amongst others), but based off if where he is drafting I would say he has done quite well. He could always do better, but I would rather have him as our GM than 90% of the GMs in the league.
[Reply]
Page 15 of 112
« First < 51112131415 161718192565 > Last »
Up