ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 20 of 1203
« First < 101617181920 2122232430701205201020 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:28 PM 10-14-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Indian is delicious, I'd start with the mild stuff. Find a reputable buffet.

It's not that the spicy stuff is off-putting, but the mild stuff is so different and wonderful and you wouldn't know it from the spicy stuff.

There really isn't another cuisine like it. It's a lot like casseroles or pot luck, in that the food is slow cooked in sauce, which makes it perfect for buffet or cafeteria style fast food, just spoon a ladleful over rice. And the sauces rely on complex spice mixes.

Good advice. I always suggest chicken tikka masala as the entry point to Indian cuisine. If you like that, go further. If you don't, just give up.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:35 PM 10-14-2015
I need to clarify. I was a little short on my spicy/mild distinction.

Spicy curry is AWESOME, but it's still at it's base spicy food. It's not as distinct from, spicy Thai, Mexican, Creole, Jamaican, Korean, etc., as mild Indian food is from all other cuisines.

Spicy is spicy, by and large.

I advise to start with mild Indian, not because I don't like spicy. I love it. But the mild stuff shows you how distinctive Indian cuisine can be.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:46 PM 10-14-2015
I need to clarify. I was a little short on my spicy/mild distinction.

Spicy curry is AWESOME, but it's still at it's base spicy food. It's not as distinct from, spicy Thai, Mexican, Creole, Jamaican, Korean, etc., as mild Indian food is from all other cuisines.

Spicy is spicy, by and large.

I advise to start with mild Indian, not because I don't like spicy. I love it. But the mild stuff shows you how distinctive Indian cuisine can be.

Also good to define spicy. All Indian food is spicy in that it's full of spice, way more than American cuisine. Not all is spicy hot.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:54 PM 10-14-2015
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Also good to define spicy. All Indian food is spicy in that it's full of spice, way more than American cuisine. Not all is spicy hot.
Yeah, but that's the common American understanding of the term.

Spicy curry uses the same cayenne that kung pao or larb or chili does.

Describing the mix of spices in mild Indian is a much more complex matter. Explain cardamom to someone who's never tasted it, or try explaining star anise to someone who doesn't like black licorice whips. So I just recommended he try it himself at a reputable buffet.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 07:00 PM 10-14-2015
Yeah, but that's the common American understanding of the term.

Spicy curry uses the same cayenne that kung pao or larb or chili does.

Describing the mix of spices in mild Indian is a much more complex matter. Explain cardamom to someone who's never tasted it, or try explaining star anise to someone who doesn't like black licorice whips. So I just recommended he try it himself at a reputable buffet.

I've personally never had luck at buffets. I know many that have, but not me.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:04 PM 10-14-2015
I've personally never had luck at buffets. I know many that have, but not me.
If you are in StL, I can't recommend House of India enough

Buffet and a Mango Lassi.

http://www.hoistl.com/galleries/lunch-buffet-gallery/
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 07:07 PM 10-14-2015
If you are in StL, I can't recommend House of India enough

Buffet and a Mango Lassi.

http://www.hoistl.com/galleries/lunch-buffet-gallery/

Will try to remember if/when I ever make it back to STL. :-)
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 02:22 PM 10-15-2015
Grilling up some chuck eye steaks with hobo packs of onion, carrots, and potatoes.
[Reply]
Stewie 02:38 PM 10-15-2015
Homemade chicken and noodle soup. This is the first cool day that I've had time to make it.
[Reply]
Dunit35 03:13 PM 10-15-2015
Cowboy steak with baked potato and a veggie.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 04:51 PM 10-16-2015
I'm going to do a little cross-thread posting for ideas. I just bought a 12-pound pork belly, most of which is going to get cured and turned into bacon, some of which will get given away as little Christmas gifts for people at work, probably.

But I'm going to save 2-3 pounds to actually cook with. I've never made pork belly as a dish, so open to some ideas. Anyone?
[Reply]
Buzz 06:57 PM 10-16-2015
The wife made chili and I was craving a chili dog...
Attached: tn.jpg (85.9 KB) x.jpg (94.4 KB) y.jpg (74.3 KB) 
[Reply]
scho63 07:27 PM 10-16-2015
Originally Posted by Stop, Chiefs:
Chicken tikka masala, lamb rogan josh, tandoori chicken, samosa, sambar and naan.

That lamb looks especially good. We have a lot of Indian restaurants with buffets around here. I haven't been to one in about three weeks and your photo has convinced me it's time again!

I love most everything Indian, including curried goat. I'm 50-50% on most Vindaloo dishes as their extreme heat tends to overpower the food, like Lamb Vindaloo.
:-) .
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 07:33 PM 10-16-2015
Originally Posted by Stewie:
Homemade chicken and noodle soup. This is the first cool day that I've had time to make it.
Same here. No dumplings. What kind of noodles did you use? Chicken, boneless or bone-in?

You put any veggies in? Personally I pass on any veggies beyond some onion. I make it pretty simple, chicken, noodles, broth form chicken, salt, pepper and some bouillon.
[Reply]
Squalor2 11:35 PM 10-16-2015
I'm going to do a little cross-thread posting for ideas. I just bought a 12-pound pork belly, most of which is going to get cured and turned into bacon, some of which will get given away as little Christmas gifts for people at work, probably.

But I'm going to save 2-3 pounds to actually cook with. I've never made pork belly as a dish, so open to some ideas. Anyone?
\
the cut of meat you call is a bit suspicious you may have a belly or a bacon. if the rind is skinny and makes little lard then you have the part closest to the cock. the better cut is is close to the chest.
[Reply]
Page 20 of 1203
« First < 101617181920 2122232430701205201020 > Last »
Up