ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Nzoner's Game Room>2019 Kickoff and Punt Returns for TD's-League stats
scho63 05:26 AM 12-15-2019
While killing some time tonight at work, I went to ESPN to look at all the team stats, mainly Chief's defensive improvements. There are many. But the stat that really jumped out at me was the incredibly low amount of kickoff and punt returns for touchdowns league wide in 2019.

Before you look, try and guess how many TOTAL COMBINED TDs for both KO and Punt returns. :-) I think you'll be shocked.

Additionally, NO TEAM ONE TEAM so far in 2019 has BOTH a PUNT and KO return for a TD plus one team NOW has TWO in one category.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/...downs/dir/desc

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/...downs/dir/desc

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dj56dt58 08:19 AM 12-15-2019
Punting can still be an exciting play..you can block the punt or the returner could fumble it and a great punt flips field position. Kickoffs are boring and pointless anymore
[Reply]
Sofa King 08:24 AM 12-15-2019
Guess how many flags on these plays though?

14,798. Or a flag on about 98% of those plays.
[Reply]
Naptown Chief 08:30 AM 12-15-2019
Originally Posted by Sofa King:

It feels like there's 14,798 flags on each kick/punt return
[Reply]
Why Not? 08:35 AM 12-15-2019
The league/officials have totally killed the excitement of the return game. Even on a big return, it’s hard to get fired up in the moment because you have to scan your TV for the yellow flag notification. Kinda sucks. My 8 year old retuned the opening kick for a TD in his first flag football playoff game, so there’s that.
[Reply]
SupDock 08:38 AM 12-15-2019
At this point, I would be fine with starting at the 25 and getting rid of the kickoff unless it's an onsides attempt.
At this point it's just a commercial break
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 08:55 AM 12-15-2019
Originally Posted by Sofa King:

This issue blows my mind. At this point isn't it better to just not take a penalty and fair catch the ball/very small return. Feels like it's a net loss at times for a game.

Edit: Just checked, we have 156 special teams penalty yards and 175 punt return yards. Now certainly some of those special teams penalty yards are from kick returns but still that's pretty incredible.
[Reply]
scho63 10:26 AM 12-15-2019
Originally Posted by SupDock:
At this point, I would be fine with starting at the 25 and getting rid of the kickoff unless it's an onsides attempt.
At this point it's just a commercial break
It almost feels like the NFL moved the kickoff up 5 yards as a middle ground before they went to no kickoffs and just start at the 25.

Sure feels like that.
[Reply]
notorious 10:27 AM 12-15-2019
Originally Posted by Why Not?:
The league/officials have totally killed the excitement of the return game. Even on a big return, it’s hard to get fired up in the moment because you have to scan your TV for the yellow flag notification. Kinda sucks. My 8 year old retuned the opening kick for a TD in his first flag football playoff game, so there’s that.
The players need to stop blocking in the back.

It's obvious and stupid every time it happens.
[Reply]
scho63 07:05 PM 12-22-2019
Punt return today for TD from Indy
[Reply]
kevrunner 10:51 PM 12-22-2019
Originally Posted by scho63:
Punt return today for TD from Indy
The same guy had 2 punt returns for touchdowns today.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:25 AM 12-23-2019
I’m still trying to figure out how Hardman is a Pro Bowler.
[Reply]
scho63 08:54 AM 12-28-2019
Originally Posted by kevrunner:
The same guy had 2 punt returns for touchdowns today.
Sure as shit he did! :-)

Another ironic stat here: just ONE of the 12 teams are in the playoffs.

[Reply]
Rasputin 04:23 PM 12-29-2019
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
I’m still trying to figure out how Hardman is a Pro Bowler.
Good question but he earned it today however he won't get to be playing in the Pro Bowl since he will be Super Bowl bound.

[Reply]
el borracho 04:29 PM 12-29-2019
Thompson seems to like contact. I know it was penalized, but he blew up a player on one of Kelce's long receptions recently and he puts his guy on the ground on this return. I hope we see more of him in the playoffs. Maybe more involved in the passing game, like we used to use Kimble Anders.
[Reply]
Up