ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 639 of 3903
« First < 139539589629635636637638639 64064164264364968973911391639 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
tk13 08:25 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Perhaps but that doesn't change the numbers as they are now. You would expect things to get better as more people get house arrested.
You're having a hard time with the math on this. This thing has an up to 2 week incubation period. Even in most cases the average time for symptoms to show up is 5 days. That means there are people who could have caught it last weekend or the week before and don't know it yet.
[Reply]
Monticore 08:25 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by oaklandhater:
Russia be lying

https://qz.com/1822523/russia-report...-in-pneumonia/
That too
[Reply]
petegz28 08:27 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
You're having a hard time with the math on this. This thing has an up to 2 week incubation period. Even in most cases the average time for symptoms to show up is 5 days. That means there are people who could have caught it last weekend and don't know it yet.
Again, that doesn't change the numbers as they are now. We went from a 2.5% death rate down to a 1.25%. I am not arguing, in fact I am saying we will see the number of cases go up but that does not discount the numbers that have accumulated to this point.
[Reply]
wazu 08:27 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I've also seen where they drink cow piss as a cure.
Well, their recovery rate looks pretty good so far, so...
[Reply]
tk13 08:32 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Again, that doesn't change the numbers as they are now. We went from a 2.5% death rate down to a 1.25%. I am not arguing, in fact I am saying we will see the number of cases go up but that does not discount the numbers that have accumulated to this point.
I'm not arguing the death rate. I think it's going to keep going down from that as we test more widely.

I'm saying the number of cases is probably going to keep going up for the foreseeable future. I think in a week and a half we'll know how much this has exploded considering by then we'll have been in this shutdown mode a couple weeks. Will we be Italy? I don't know. I think the countries who've put the hammer down on this and slowed it down have probably been more aggressive than us though.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:35 PM 03-22-2020
I'm not arguing the death rate. I think it's going to keep going down from that as we test more widely.

I'm saying the number of cases is probably going to keep going up for the foreseeable future. I think in a week and a half we'll know how much this has exploded considering by then we'll have been in this shutdown mode a couple weeks. Will we be Italy? I don't know. I think the countries who've put the hammer down on this and slowed it down have probably been more aggressive than us though.
That may be. We may surpass Italy in total cases but I think the overall outcome will be much better in this country.
[Reply]
loochy 08:35 PM 03-22-2020
We've only really been "shut down" a week. We'll probably have a better idea of where we actually sit in another week and a half or so. I am hopeful this week should help. But on the flip side you certainly are going to have a lot of spring break travelers coming home.

I figure there will be a good 6 weeks of shutdown to see an impact. 2 weeks of incubation, 2 weeks of the sickness running it's course, then 2 weeks of healing. I think that will be the first iteration to see if it's been effective. Even if it's not a full shutdown, I don't see how it wouldn't have some sort of positive impact.
[Reply]
O.city 08:37 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
while it is early once more are tested the mortality rate will dip even lower. I know this is a non political thread and I will not take it there HOWEVER if the government and effectively communicate this the panic which is part of the problem will also dip. If you look at WA they've almost stabilized this. I'm to the belief social distancing and lockdowns does work, I think we have an amazing emergency response in this country, our ER doctors, nurse, etc are great. The government should call in the national guard and FEMA to states to seperate the sick from our hospitals, retirement homes, etc to help stop the spread and save the very sick. Time is key here if we can do that going into the warmer months it will help stop some of this and it gives us more time to find medicine to help combat it as well.

I was pretty worried about our healthcare system becoming overwhelmed however everything I've read has been pretty encouraging. The next few weeks will be crucial. Other than testing I think we've made up for lost time.

This is my uneducated opinion but what I've read its possible this thing has mutated. Despite what the media has said that's not always a bad thing if you look at SARS it mutated as well and become less dangerous. If you combine that with everything i've said we are in a good place compared to places like Italy, Spain, and France.
There’s some evidence of mutation in Singapore

You been reading science journals bro?
[Reply]
TLO 08:38 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
There’s some evidence of mutation in Singapore

You been reading science journals bro?
Mutation in a good way/or a bad way?
[Reply]
O.city 08:39 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by loochy:
I figure there will be a good 6 weeks of shutdown to see an impact. 2 weeks of incubation, 2 weeks of the sickness running it's course, then 2 weeks of healing. I think that will be the first iteration to see if it's been effective. Even if it's not a full shutdown, I don't see how it wouldn't have some sort of positive impact.
It’ll peak mid April I’m guessing
[Reply]
O.city 08:40 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Mutation in a good way/or a bad way?
Good if it mutates to a less viral state. Usually that’s what viruses end up doing. If they’re too deadly they kill the host before they spread. Which isn’t ideal.
[Reply]
stumppy 08:42 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:

This is my uneducated opinion but what I've read its possible this thing has mutated. Despite what the media has said that's not always a bad thing if you look at SARS it mutated as well and become less dangerous. If you combine that with everything i've said we are in a good place compared to places like Italy, Spain, and France.
I read that too, just can't remember where. Maybe we can all catch a break and this shit get's tweeked for the better.
[Reply]
Three7s 08:44 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Good if it mutates to a less viral state. Usually that’s what viruses end up doing. If they’re too deadly they kill the host before they spread. Which isn’t ideal.
That's what I'm waiting for. It will probably mutate into something much more severe, but less contagious as you just described.
[Reply]
petegz28 08:46 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
I read that too, just can't remember where. Maybe we can all catch a break and this shit get's tweeked for the better.
I have heard several doctors state as the virus mutates or "adapts" to humans it will become less deadly. As it adapts to live on humans our bodies become better at adapting to it as well and can fight it better is basically what they said.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 08:46 PM 03-22-2020
Originally Posted by oaklandhater:
can you think of a worse state to get hit with mass cases ?

You can’t think of a reason those numbers may not reflect reality of growth? This is a perfect example of you not thinking but filtering everything through the lens of looking for fear, which you said helps you.
[Reply]
Page 639 of 3903
« First < 139539589629635636637638639 64064164264364968973911391639 > Last »
Up