ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1190 of 3903
« First < 19069010901140118011861187118811891190 119111921193119412001240129016902190 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
SAUTO 10:43 AM 04-07-2020
[QUOTE=Marcellus;14892088]This really isn't true though. You give me shit about being wrong about things and post stuff like this. There is no evidence that has happened anywhere outside of a nursing home.[/

A study by disease modelers at the University of Texas at Austin states that "Given the low testing rates throughout the country, we assume that 1 in 10 cases are tested and reported. If a county has detected only 1 case of COVID-19, there is a 51%
chance that there is already a growing outbreak underway" [source]
[source]
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:44 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Yea I get it, cruise ships obviously. And obviously your scenario is possible in certain conditions like the party you referenced and I was incorrect.

it's cool. That is why I am worried about opening up to soon again, it just takes 1 or a handful. Gotta get a vaccine asap.
[Reply]
petegz28 10:46 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
You actually just made the same point I have. Totals mean virtually nothing. Percentage of population means everything.
Gonna have to disagree, Bob. Both have meaning. In fact, you literally can't have one without the other so.....
[Reply]
Donger 10:47 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Gonna have to disagree, Bob. Both have meaning. In fact, you literally can't have one without the other so.....
It doesn't really matter if you disagree. The original poster said that per capita testing numbers are "retarded." They are clearly not. In fact, it's the most important metric.
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:49 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
it's cool. That is why I am worried about opening up to soon again, it just takes 1 or a handful. Gotta get a vaccine asap.
Well at least the dialogue got me to researching patient 31.

For pure intrigue read this story on it. I don't believe the conspiracy floated in it but it's rather interesting. It makes you wonder how so many people did get infected.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/...065953841.html
[Reply]
Donger 10:51 AM 04-07-2020
More than 1,300 New York City fire department personnel who either tested positive or were suspected of being exposed to Covid-19 have returned to work, the FDNY said on Twitter today.

“FDNY members are responding to a record number of medical calls, and they continue to meet this unprecedented challenge head on,” said Fire Commissioner Daniel A. Nigro in a tweet posted by the department.
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:51 AM 04-07-2020
or like this. And when I heard about that biogen conference I told my employer I wasn't going to the IT conference that I had scheduled in March. **** that.

Originally Posted by :
It was an old-fashioned Southern funeral.

There was a repast table crammed with casseroles, Brunswick stew, fried chicken and key lime cake. Andrew Jerome Mitchell, a retired janitor, was one of 10 siblings. They told stories, debated for the umpteenth time how he got the nickname Doorface.

People wiped tears away, and embraced, and blew their noses, and belted out hymns. They laughed, remembering. It was a big gathering, with upward of 200 mourners overflowing the memorial chapel, so people had to stand outside.

Dorothy Johnson has gone over the scene in her mind over the last month, asking herself who it was who brought the virus to her brother’s funeral.
“We don’t know who the person was,” she said. “It would help me to know.”

During the weeks that followed, illnesses linked to the coronavirus have torn through her hometown, Albany, Ga., with about two dozen relatives falling ill, including six of her siblings. Ms. Johnson herself was released from an isolation ward to the news that her daughter, Tonya, was in grave condition, her heart rate dropping.

Like the Biogen conference in Boston and a 40th birthday party in Westport, Conn., the funeral of Andrew Jerome Mitchell on Feb. 29 will be recorded as what epidemiologists call a “super-spreading event,” in which a small number of people propagate a huge number of infections.

With a population of only 90,000, Dougherty County has registered 24 deaths, far more than any other county in the state, with six more possible coronavirus deaths under investigation, according to Michael L. Fowler, the local coroner. Ninety percent of the people who died were African-American, he said.

[Reply]
petegz28 10:53 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
It doesn't really matter if you disagree. The original poster said that per capita testing numbers are "retarded." They are clearly not. In fact, it's the most important metric.
Theoretically they might be. But there is a practical side to things that unfortunately have to be considered whether you like it or not. Specifically the logistical problems of testing en masse in a country our size.

In other words, it's a hell of a lot easier to test 50% of 1,000 than it is 50% of 5,000,000.
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:54 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:

A study by disease modelers at the University of Texas at Austin states that "Given the low testing rates throughout the country, we assume that 1 in 10 cases are tested and reported. If a county has detected only 1 case of COVID-19, there is a 51%
chance that there is already a growing outbreak underway" [source]
[source]

And if that assumption is true wouldn't the mortality rate be 1/10th of what we know? It seems like these numbers get used both ways all the time. More cases/higher mortality rate etc...
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 10:54 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by jerryaldini:
Sure, but now that we are seeing the plateau there, we can see it's well below what was anticipated. Social distancing has mitigated the impact considerably, as can be seen in curve flattening occurring since the measures were put in place.

I'm so impressed by the willingness of most Americans to comply to protect the vulnerable. It is also getting us out the other side sooner than half measures would have. In my state the projected peak and culmination has advanced by three weeks. About two weeks after we started distancing the growth rate declined precipitously.
Good luck trying to do a similar draconian (only word to use) lockdown again in the fall.

Football, Thanksgiving, Christmas?
[Reply]
Donger 10:56 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Theoretically they might be. But there is a practical side to things that unfortunately have to be considered whether you like it or not. Specifically the logistical problems of testing en masse in a country our size.

In other words, it's a hell of a lot easier to test 50% of 1,000 than it is 50% of 5,000,000.
It's not a theory. Having tested a greater percentage of one's population is a vastly more important metric than total tests performed. I'm well-aware that our population is much greater than Iceland's or Germany's.
[Reply]
burt 10:56 AM 04-07-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
Good luck trying to do a similar draconian (only word to use)
:-):-):-)

again in the fall.

This thread is golden...... destined for the Hall
[Reply]
petegz28 10:57 AM 04-07-2020
And if that assumption is true wouldn't the mortality rate be 1/10th of what we know? It seems like these numbers get used both ways all the time. More cases/higher mortality rate etc...
Exactly but I sense yet another "but" as to why those numbers aren't right either. People are cherry picking to suit their argument.
[Reply]
SAUTO 10:57 AM 04-07-2020
Well you’d think that but then there’s this...

An estimated additional 180 - 195 deaths per day occurring at home in New York City due to COVID-19 are not being counted in the official figures. "Early on in this crisis we were able to swab people who died at home, and thus got a coronavirus reading. But those days are long gone. We simply don't have the testing capacity for the large numbers dying at home. Now only those few who had a test confirmation *before* dying are marked as victims of coronavirus on their death certificate. This almost certainly means we are undercounting the total number of victims of this pandemic," said Mark Levine, Chair of New York City Council health committee
[Reply]
Monticore 10:57 AM 04-07-2020
Good luck trying to do a similar draconian (only word to use) lockdown again in the fall.

Football would suck , but the other 2 I could live without .
[Reply]
Page 1190 of 3903
« First < 19069010901140118011861187118811891190 119111921193119412001240129016902190 > Last »
Up