ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 52 of 56
« First < 2424849505152 53545556 >
Media Center>Soprano's Season 6 discussion.........
Kylo Ren 02:35 PM 02-02-2006
My wife and I are excited about the upcoming season of Sopranos. We've been waiting for about 2 years for this next season. This show is addictive.

Originally, I missed the first few episodes of season one. I've never seen them. But HBO has been showing all of the Sopranos episodes in order lately. I started watching every episode, starting with season one, episode one about a month and a half ago. It's been great. I watch it every weekday night at 7pm. I'm picking up allot of stuff that I missed the first time around. Also, seeing the entire series from the beginning, in order, episode after episode is really making things more clear. There were some things that I was foggy about. There's such a long offseason between seasons that you can forget important details sometimes. The timing will be just right. I should finish the final episode just prior to March when the new season starts. I can't wait.

Discuss.......

After reading another Soprano's thread, the topic of SPOILERS came up. So I thought there should be some RULES about spoilers for this thread.

I would say that one should read and post at your own risk. We will bump this thread to the top after each episode and have a discussion of that episode. I don't know how you can have a discussion without revealing spoilers. I don't even know why they'd be considered spoilers if the episode has already aired and most of America has seen it. So, if you want to post a "spoiler warning" in your post, that's fine. But if you don't, no one should complain. If you haven't see the current episode, you should not read this thread until you have.

With that said, if you have some inside information about an upcoming episode that would be a spoiler, you SHOULD NOT post that on this thread. I can't imagine that happening, because the Soprano's producers gaurd their secrets like Fort Knox. But, if you know something about an upcoming episode, keep it to yourself until after the episode airs. This is really common sense stuff, but I thought it should be spelled out just to keep arguments to a minimum.
[Reply]
SLAG 09:05 PM 06-11-2007
From the Horses mouth so to speak

'Sopranos' creator: 'We did what we had to do'
by Alan Sepinwall, Mon, 8:50 PM

What do you do when your TV world ends? You go to dinner, then keep quiet. Sunday night, "Sopranos" creator David Chase took his wife out for dinner in France, where he's fled to avoid "all the Monday morning quarterbacking" about the show's finale. After this exclusive interview with the Star-Ledger, agreed to well before the season began, he intends to go into radio silence, letting the work -- especially the controversial final scene -- speak for itself.

"No one was trying to be audacious, honest to god," Chase said. "We did what we thought we had to do. No one was trying to blow people's minds, or thinking, 'Wow, this'll (tick) them off.' People get the impression that you're trying to (mess) with them and it's not true. You're trying to entertain them."

Read the full story in Tuesday's Star-Ledger.
[Reply]
SLAG 09:38 PM 06-11-2007
Also from the HBO board.. I think this is the right answer

Originally Posted by :
orget 'brilliance', forget 'genius', forget labels at all. But, do look at what Chase did, and what he intimated he was going to do all along. Last nights episode had nothing to do with ending the current subplots. It had everything to do with ending the series. To understand that, you have to remember how we came into it. We went out, just as we came in. He knew three years ago exactly how he was going to end it, and stated so. If the show had gone on another 5 years, and all the current sub-plots were resolved, there would be new chracters and dilemnas, much as many things are different now than they were 5 years ago.

No, you don't choose your own ending. No, Tony was not whacked. We saw what we saw. Another slice of his life. We went out, the same way we came in. If you really want to understand, read this carefully and think.

A prior poster mentioned that David Chase had stated that if you watched the first episode of the series, the ending would make perfect sense. I think this is true.

Check out Sopranoland, and the recap of the opening. If you have the very first episode, watch it. Basically, "Our first glimpse of Tony Soprano shows him sitting in a room, staring quizzically at a statue of a nude woman. We quickly discover he is waiting for his first appointment with a psychiatrist, Dr. Jennifer Melfi, because he collapsed at his son's birthday party, possibly due to a panic attack. In a flashback we are introduced to the members of Tony's family. Carmela, his wife, doesn't understand her husband's obsession with the ducks that are living in their swimming pool. Anthony Junior, his son, has just turned 13 and his daughter, Meadow, doesn't get along well with her mom, plus Carmela doesn't really like Hunter, Meadow's best friend." etc etc etc. http://www.sopranoland.com/episodes/.../1-01-tony.jpg
We were ushered directly into Tony Sopranos life with a POP, a direct CUT to Tony, sitting there in silence. The first person we see. There was no grandiose beginning like "once upon a time" "When I was a kid" "In the begginning" "Call me Ishmael," etc. No sweeping montages or camera pans. We were just there, suddenly thrust into Tonys life, thrown directly into the flow of all it. We were not privy to all of the things, mundane or dramatic, that had come prior in his life. One by one we were introduced to the people in his life as he went about his daily business, moment by moment. The scenes always jumped around, as Tony went here, and Tony went there. That certainly was nothing new to the last episode. We saw the current crises, and the intense times, and the mundane moments as well. For eight years we were allowed to ride the waves in the river of his life. Old characters died, new characters arrived. Crises came, crises went. Joy came, joy went. It was life. Tony Sopranos life and we were welcomed to watch. And we were thrust in at one point in this life, just as good as any other point would have been. In the last episode, and over the last few episodes of the series, we saw Tony interacting with people, and one by one we saw these people ourselves for the last time, until, finally, we see Tony in another simple, mundane circumstance. In the end, a new 'character' is shown to us, a diner we ourselves have never seen but doesn't necessarily mean wasn't already known to Tony and his family, clearly he had been there before and loved the onion rings. To me, that illustrated just how much we didn’t know about his universe at all. And the last thing we see, is Tony, and then CUT, we are instantly pulled out of his life again. We do not know, nor are we supposed to know exactly what happens after that, any more than we knew or could know what happened in Tonys life before we were allowed in. We aren't there anymore. Yes, there are many unresolved issues in Tonys life, just like each one of our lives has issues still unresolved, or sub-plots still playing out. Just like Tony had before we met him. David Chase created a life, and a universe to entertain us. That universe had a whole history we never saw, and that universe continues after we are gone. We never had a real theatrical beggining, we were just 'there'. And we were never promised a 'theatrical' ending. We are just gone. We were happy to be a fly on the wall for eight years. In the end, the show stayed true to itself and began exactly as it ended. Cut in to Tony in the waiting room. Cut out from Tony in the Diner. For us, the End. "And the movie goes on, and on, and on..." Perhaps someday we will be brought back into the flow of Tonys life, maybe not.

There was no snub, no slap in the face. In fact, there was reassurance for fans who were there from the start, who remembered how we came into Tony's life.

Personally, I am grateful to the the producers, cast and crew for providing such great entertainment and creating that universe. I remember the feeling I had when CUT, I was thrust into Tonys universe for the first time..."Hmmmmmm, what is this?" Look at the picture of that opening scene and see what you remember feeling. And now, for me, the measure of the love I really had come to have for that universe was felt by the shock/anger/awe that suddenly... I wasn't in it anymore.

[Reply]
eazyb81 08:36 AM 06-12-2007
And if that is true, then it provides further ammo to the critics that say David Chase is a selfish jerk that couldn't nut up and give the fans a real ending. The Sopranos was a television series, albeit a fantastic one, but still just a television series; Chase didn't create a new universe or galaxy. Give the fans a true ending to a show they've lived and died with for 8+ years.

If this is what Chase truly envisioned, then to me he just comes off a pompous tool, and IMO if we never get closure then it will cloud the greatness of the series forever.
[Reply]
eazyb81 08:37 AM 06-12-2007
Here is a great Sopranos article that discusses many of the rumors that have been posted on here:

http://testpattern.msnbc.msn.com/arc...11/222698.aspx
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:49 AM 06-12-2007
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
The more I think of it, the more I'm convinced that this ending was the best possible.
It was a fu#@ing Meadowpark.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 09:01 AM 06-12-2007
Originally Posted by eazyb81:
And if that is true, then it provides further ammo to the critics that say David Chase is a selfish jerk that couldn't nut up and give the fans a real ending. The Sopranos was a television series, albeit a fantastic one, but still just a television series; Chase didn't create a new universe or galaxy. Give the fans a true ending to a show they've lived and died with for 8+ years.

If this is what Chase truly envisioned, then to me he just comes off a pompous tool, and IMO if we never get closure then it will cloud the greatness of the series forever.
Im fairly certain he left it open ended for a reason: The potential millions a movie series could make in a few years.
[Reply]
Chiefnj 09:08 AM 06-12-2007
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Im fairly certain he left it open ended for a reason: The potential millions a movie series could make in a few years.
The only talk of a movie would be a Godfather part 2 type movie. No need not to resolve everything now. Plus, they ended lots of the story lines and characters.

The ending sucked, much like the show for the past 2 seasons.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 09:26 AM 06-12-2007
Personally, I think the only way a Sopranos movie is done is if it is a prequel.....

The days of Johhny and Junior, Tony and Janice's childhood, etc.
[Reply]
eazyb81 09:29 AM 06-12-2007
How would a movie tie up the loose ends of a finale? Everyone will be a few years older and it won't make much sense. A prequel would work, as would a movie that is simply set a few years from now, but I don't see how a movie would help finish season 6.
[Reply]
Boyceofsummer 05:21 PM 06-12-2007
I liked the ending. A metaphor for the potential MOB whack job. By the bullet. Whether it be by lead or trans fat. The shit will kill ya.

I wish the closing scene would have been the cat licking his balls.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:07 PM 06-12-2007
Originally Posted by eazyb81:
How would a movie tie up the loose ends of a finale? Everyone will be a few years older and it won't make much sense. A prequel would work, as would a movie that is simply set a few years from now, but I don't see how a movie would help finish season 6.
I don't like a Sopranos movie with the charectors a couple of years older. I'd like the prequel idea ala Godfather 2 style. How Tony's dad and Junior took control of Jersey etc. How Tony made his bones? We hear "wild" stories about Tony's youth. Maybe some big screen time for that side of the story.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 08:54 AM 06-13-2007
Never thought of the cat as being Adrianna...interesting.
[Reply]
Brock 09:03 AM 06-13-2007
Originally Posted by InChiefsHell:
Never thought of the cat as being Adrianna...interesting.
Why would you?
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 09:08 AM 06-13-2007
Originally Posted by Brock:
Why would you?
Somebody mentioned it a few posts back...*edit Warpath on #761.*edit It's just interesting, like one of the many crimes they did coming back to haunt them...the cat was obsessed with Christopher's picture...what was up with that? Either it was Chris himself or Adrianna...

...or it was just a cat. But it's interesting.
[Reply]
Sully 11:25 AM 06-14-2007
Alt Ending remix...

[Reply]
Page 52 of 56
« First < 2424849505152 53545556 >
Up