ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3588 of 3903
« First < 2588308834883538357835843585358635873588 3589359035913592359836383688 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 06:52 AM 07-28-2021
It’s just not smart.

They’ve got a big study going on in our area that the infectious disease guys are running at the hospital with vaccination spread and such. Last I heard it was damn near negligible the amount, even with some breakthrough infections occurring . And we’re the “delta epicenter”.

Just stupid.

Everyone should talk to their doctor about vaccination. Most should get it. It’s sad when people get sick and die, especially from something preventable.

But at this point it’s just not attainable to keep back and forth
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 07:02 AM 07-28-2021

ONE. DAY. APART. pic.twitter.com/VjeZJTunEk

— Marina Medvin ���� (@MarinaMedvin) July 27, 2021

[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 07:06 AM 07-28-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Unvaccinated people ruining it for everyone else.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 07:18 AM 07-28-2021
Christ, it was a nice month without a mask at work. Back on again. Thanks fuckface anti-vaccers.
[Reply]
O.city 07:30 AM 07-28-2021
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03841-4

Strong T cell (both 4 and 8 CD cells) with mRNA vaccination. There's your long term protection.
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:09 AM 07-28-2021
I have long thought that our genes are playing a big role in who gets sick and who doesn't so this confirms quite a bit in regards to that. Interesting that blood type might play a role as well which many have suspected to be the case.

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2021/0...-and-severity/

Originally Posted by :
More Genetic Clues to COVID-19 Susceptibility and Severity

Many factors influence our risk of illness from SARS-CoV-2, the coronavirus responsible for COVID-19. That includes being careful to limit our possible exposures to the virus, as well as whether we have acquired immunity from a vaccine or an earlier infection. But once a person is infected, a host of other biological factors, including age and pre-existing medical conditions, will influence one’s risk of becoming severely ill.

While earlier studies have tied COVID-19 severity to genetic variations in a person’s antiviral defenses and blood type, we still have a lot to learn about how a person’s genetic makeup influences COVID-19 susceptibility and severity. So, I was pleased to see the recent findings of an impressive global effort to map the genetic underpinnings of SARS-CoV-2 infection and COVID-19 severity, which involved analyzing the genomes of many thousands of people with COVID-19 around the globe.

This comprehensive search led to the identification of 13 regions of the human genome that appear to play a role in COVID-19 infection or severity. Though more research is needed to sort out these leads, they represent potentially high-quality clues to the pathways that this virus uses to cause illness, and help to explain why some people are more likely to become infected with SARS-CoV-2 or to develop severe disease.

The international effort, known as The COVID-19 Host Genetics Initiative, is led by Andrea Ganna, Institute for Molecular Medicine Finland, Helsinki, and colleagues in the United States and around the world. Teasing out those important genetic influences is no easy task. It requires vast amounts of data, so Ganna reached out to the scientific community via Twitter to announce a new COVID-19 gene-hunting effort and ask for help. Thousands of researchers around the world answered his call. The new study, published in the journal Nature, includes data collected through the initiative as of January 2021, and represents nearly 50,000 COVID-19 patients and another 2 million uninfected controls [1].

In search of common gene variants that may influence who becomes infected with SARS-CoV-2 and how sick they will become, Ganna’s international team turned to genome-wide association studies (GWAS). As part of this, the team analyzed patient genome data for millions of so-called single-nucleotide polymorphisms, or SNPs. While these single “letter” nucleotide substitutions found all across the genome are generally of no health significance, they can point the way to the locations of gene variants that turn up more often in association with particular traits or conditions—in this case, COVID-19 susceptibility or severity. To find them, the researchers compared SNPs in people with COVID-19 to those in about 2 million healthy blood donors from the same population groups. They also looked for variants that turned up significantly more often in people who became severely ill.

Their analyses uncovered a number of gene variants associated with SARS-CoV-2 infection or severe COVID-19 in 13 regions of the human genome, six of which were new. Four of the 13 affect a person’s risk for becoming infected with SARS-CoV-2. The other nine influence a person’s risk for developing severe illness following the infection.

Interestingly, some of these gene variants already were known to have associations with other types of lung or autoimmune diseases. The new findings also help to confirm previous studies suggesting that the gene that determines a person’s blood type may influence a person’s susceptibility to SARS-CoV-2 infection, along with other genes that play a role in immunity. For example, the findings show overlap with variants within a gene called TYK2, which was earlier shown to protect against autoimmune-related diseases. Some of the variants also point to the need for further work to study previously unexplored biological processes that may play potentially important roles in COVID-19.

Two of the new variants associated with disease severity were discovered only by including individuals with East Asian ancestry, highlighting the value of diversity in such analyses to gain a more comprehensive understanding of the biology. One of these newfound variants is close to a gene known as FOXP4, which is especially intriguing because this gene is known to play a role in the airways of the lung.

The researchers continue to look for more underlying clues into the biology of COVID-19. In fact, their latest unpublished analysis has increased the number of COVID-19 patients from about 50,000 to 125,000, making it possible to add another 10 gene variants to the list.

https://pubmed.ncbi.:-).nih.gov/34237774/

[Reply]
O.city 08:15 AM 07-28-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03841-4

Strong T cell (both 4 and 8 CD cells) with mRNA vaccination. There's your long term protection.
This is also whats maddening about the whole "antibodies are waning" hysteria.

No shit. They always do. It's what happens.

Immunological responses are very layered.
[Reply]
O.city 08:40 AM 07-28-2021
The Singapore study showed that while vaccinated people can have some transmission, it's extremely small and the window for it is tiny.

This is all stupid.
[Reply]
wazu 08:43 AM 07-28-2021
The Singapore study showed that while vaccinated people can have some transmission, it's extremely small and the window for it is tiny.

This is all stupid.
Government response: Take measures to de-motivate people from even bothering with the vaccine.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:50 AM 07-28-2021
Originally Posted by wazu:
Government response: Take measures to de-motivate people from even bothering with the vaccine.
I get that take, but I see it more as "Well, people still aren't following our recommendations. Our job is to try and save lives through preventing disease, so there's not much more we can do but recommend people at least wear masks in high-risk areas."

In short, the CDC wouldn't be doing their jobs if they just said, "fuck it, let the dumbasses die."
[Reply]
wazu 08:58 AM 07-28-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I get that take, but I see it more as "Well, people still aren't following our recommendations. Our job is to try and save lives through preventing disease, so there's not much more we can do but recommend people at least wear masks in high-risk areas."

In short, the CDC wouldn't be doing their jobs if they just said, "fuck it, let the dumbasses die."
I’m fine with recommending masks for the unvaccinated. As it is, my 15 year old son is about to start his 2nd year of high school in which seeing faces of other students at school will not be possible. And he’s vaccinated, like many other students. It’s ridiculous.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:00 AM 07-28-2021
Originally Posted by wazu:
I’m fine with recommending masks for the unvaccinated. As it is, my 15 year old son is about to start his 2nd year of high school in which seeing faces of other students at school will not be possible. And he’s vaccinated, like many other students. It’s ridiculous.
That's fair to be irritated about.
[Reply]
TLO 09:03 AM 07-28-2021

This is all stupid.
There's more stuff coming out of Israel this morning. I don't know what to believe anymore
[Reply]
O.city 09:12 AM 07-28-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
There's more stuff coming out of Israel this morning. I don't know what to believe anymore
About what?
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 09:14 AM 07-28-2021
@CNN: JUST IN: Pfizer has shared new data that suggests a third dose of its Covid-19 vaccine "strongly" boosts protection against the Delta variant https://cnn.it/3f1tlaE
[Reply]
Page 3588 of 3903
« First < 2588308834883538357835843585358635873588 3589359035913592359836383688 > Last »
Up