ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 110 of 361
« First < 1060100106107108109110 111112113114120160210 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Sully 08:47 AM 02-07-2018
I just gotta thank you all for the updates on all this. It is so cool. Watching all the videos. I actually just showed the summary one DaFace posted earlier to my class.
[Reply]
Donger 08:56 AM 02-07-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:
In case anyone's feeling REALLY into this, they re-cut the video from today to get the right video in there for the boosters. (The live video had the same video on both sides for quite a while.) They also cut in the footage of the fairing deploy that cut out during the live feed.

Okay, that was one of the coolest things that I have ever seen. Wow.
[Reply]
Chitownchiefsfan 08:58 AM 02-07-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I haven't dug into it much, but my guess it's just stupid people talking about polluting space or whatever. That or they're saying it was a waste of a mission that should have had some science on it. :-)

I read his comment as "people who don't know how the industry works don't realize that space is big and that this isn't cluttering anything up."
Basically this. Some highlights.

- why doesn't he use the money to help fight poverty rather than a vanity project to send a car in space.

- isn't space trash already a huge problem

- look at what our tax dollars are being wasted on (it's not)

I stopped reading at that point really.
[Reply]
Chitownchiefsfan 09:01 AM 02-07-2018
Though my fiancé made me laugh because when I told her the core crashed into the ocean she went "what about the fishies." she was joking. Mostly.
[Reply]
MagicHef 12:48 PM 02-07-2018
Musk said that SpaceX would now be focusing on developing the BFR. I hadn't even heard of the BFR until I googled it. Holy shit.
[Reply]
sd4chiefs 01:00 PM 02-07-2018
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
Musk said that SpaceX would now be focusing on developing the BFR. I hadn't even heard of the BFR until I googled it. Holy shit.
Is BFR short for Big F_cking Rocket?
[Reply]
MagicHef 01:03 PM 02-07-2018
Originally Posted by sd4chiefs:
Is BFR short for Big fucking Rocket?
Yes. Estimated payload to be five times Falcon Heavy's.

[Reply]
Bewbies 01:19 PM 02-07-2018
I hope there's a day where we ride these things for international flights. Anywhere on earth in like 20 minutes.
[Reply]
eDave 01:33 PM 02-07-2018
Originally Posted by Bewbies:
I hope there's a day where we ride these things for international flights. Anywhere on earth in like 20 minutes.
Musk has proposed just such an idea:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/29/1...point-to-point
[Reply]
emaw82 01:50 PM 02-07-2018
Originally Posted by MagicHef:
Yes. Estimated payload to be five times Falcon Heavy's.

Here is a good read on the BFR and estimated time lines for future plans:

https://waitbutwhy.com/2016/09/space...ull-story.html
[Reply]
MagicHef 02:07 PM 02-07-2018
Originally Posted by emaw82:

https://waitbutwhy.com/2016/09/space...ull-story.html
Whoa, I read his enormous Musk series, but somehow missed this one. Thanks!
[Reply]
Donger 02:26 PM 02-07-2018
Originally Posted by eDave:
Musk has proposed just such an idea:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/29/1...point-to-point
I was just about to mention the G-loading and then read the article. I haven't seen figures on the Gs pulled on ascent and descent, but I'd guess somewhere close to 8. That might kill some people and make most lose consciousness without a G suit and training.
[Reply]
MagicHef 02:57 PM 02-07-2018
Originally Posted by Donger:
I was just about to mention the G-loading and then read the article. I haven't seen figures on the Gs pulled on ascent and descent, but I'd guess somewhere close to 8. That might kill some people and make most lose consciousness without a G suit and training.
The article uses the G forces for ballistic missiles, which have a conspicuous lack of humans on them. Assuming the flight design would be the same for human flight seems... dumb.
[Reply]
Chitownchiefsfan 03:03 PM 02-07-2018
Originally Posted by emaw82:

l[/url]
I tried to reply with the arch "stop. My penis can only get so erect" but apparently I cant post pictures yet.
[Reply]
Easy 6 06:05 PM 02-07-2018
Havent paid as much attention to this as I should, but gotta say I was just so impressed watching the two boosters come down and land... getting a tubular shape that really only seems good for going up, with no real control surfaces, to stabilize midair and smoothly land in an upright position is nothing short of mind boggling

It almost doesnt even look real, its like CGI... AMAZING technological advance
[Reply]
Page 110 of 361
« First < 1060100106107108109110 111112113114120160210 > Last »
Up