ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 66 of 361
« First < 16566263646566 6768697076116166 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Space Exploration megathread
DaFace 09:40 AM 06-01-2014
Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

Spoiler!

How to Watch a Live Launch
Spoiler!

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:55 AM 04-09-2017
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Na, they're still plenty active. Apparently just not on their web site.
I totally missed this from them...

[Reply]
Donger 12:14 PM 04-09-2017
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I totally missed this from them...

I mean, sure, It's neat as a space geek. But it really doesn't hold a candle to what SpaceX has done.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 04:40 PM 04-09-2017
Originally Posted by Donger:
I mean, sure, It's neat as a space geek. But it really doesn't hold a candle to what SpaceX has done.
While I agree they're behind SpaceX (SpaceX is functional and making deliveries into space), Blue Origin seems to have the focus on manned flight.

I just appreciate what both are doing.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:58 PM 04-09-2017
While I agree they're behind SpaceX (SpaceX is functional and making deliveries into space), Blue Origin seems to have the focus on manned flight.

I just appreciate what both are doing.
Blue Origin is probably 5+ years away from being to a point that they could reasonably be competing with SpaceX, but the advantage that they have is an enormous pile of money coming in every year through Bezos. Musk is super rich, no doubt, but he has to make his projects generate revenue. Bezos barely has a reason to care.

I wouldn't say Bezos is at Musk's level of out-of-the box thinking or altruism, but he's got more money to throw at everything, which can make a difference.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:32 PM 04-09-2017
Blue Origin is probably 5+ years away from being to a point that they could reasonably be competing with SpaceX, but the advantage that they have is an enormous pile of money coming in every year through Bezos. Musk is super rich, no doubt, but he has to make his projects generate revenue. Bezos barely has a reason to care.

I wouldn't say Bezos is at Musk's level of out-of-the box thinking or altruism, but he's got more money to throw at everything, which can make a difference.
Does SpaceX have a projected plan for manned flight. I sure hope so. If they do, that could cover all the bases.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
[Reply]
DaFace 09:29 AM 04-10-2017
Does SpaceX have a projected plan for manned flight. I sure hope so. If they do, that could cover all the bases.

Not sure if I'm missing what you're asking. Like for tourists?

Obviously the whole point of SpaceX is sending people to Mars, and they hope to be sending people to ISS next year.
[Reply]
Donger 09:33 AM 04-10-2017
I can't wait to see Falcon Heavy fly. Last I heard, they are still planning on a launch this summer.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:42 AM 04-10-2017
I can't wait to see Falcon Heavy fly. Last I heard, they are still planning on a launch this summer.
It'll be a sight to see for sure. They're getting close...

Formerly the Leaning Tower of Thaicom-8 (1023) - we believe - now preparing to be a side booster for Falcon Heavy: https://t.co/TrSZCo5Oz2 pic.twitter.com/eeh5xlkzCJ

— Chris B - NSF (@NASASpaceflight) April 9, 2017

[Reply]
Donger 10:18 AM 04-10-2017
It'll be a sight to see for sure. They're getting close...

I don't understand the Leaning Tower of Thaicom-8 reference. That isn't a used rocket, right? Surely they wouldn't try the first launch of Heavy with used hardware.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 12:05 PM 04-10-2017
Not sure if I'm missing what you're asking. Like for tourists?

Obviously the whole point of SpaceX is sending people to Mars, and they hope to be sending people to ISS next year.
More the latter. I know the Mars thing, but keeping people alive and some other technical details need to get worked out before they strap anybody into that rocket.

So the ISS thing will be super exciting when it happens.
[Reply]
DaFace 12:33 PM 04-10-2017
I don't understand the Leaning Tower of Thaicom-8 reference. That isn't a used rocket, right? Surely they wouldn't try the first launch of Heavy with used hardware.
Actually they are indeed flying used hardware for the first launch (both side boosters - the center core will be new). The center cores are apparently having to be manufactured differently (they had hoped that the Heavy would be nothing but 3 F9's strapped together), so it can't be used until they recover an actual FH core.

As for the launch, Elon has described it as a "high risk" mission, so I'm guessing they're confident enough in the used cores that they don't think they will be the cause of a failure. And if they're worried about it making it in the first place, better to dump two previously-flown boosters than a new one.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 12:34 PM 04-10-2017
Actually they are indeed flying used hardware for the first launch (both side boosters - the center core will be new). The center cores are apparently having to be manufactured differently (they had hoped that the Heavy would be nothing but 3 F9's strapped together), so it can't be used until they recover an actual FH core.

As for the launch, Elon has described it as a "high risk" mission, so I'm guessing they're confident enough in the used cores that they don't think they will be the cause of a failure. And if they're worried about it making it in the first place, better to dump two previously-flown boosters than a new one.
I get the logic.

[Reply]
Donger 12:39 PM 04-10-2017

Alrighty then. I read that he is talking about trying to recover the second stage too. He is ambitious.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:19 PM 04-26-2017
I don't think I'll wake up at 5am (Mountain) on Sunday for it, but...

Static fire test complete. Targeting Falcon 9 launch of NROL-76 on Sunday, April 30. pic.twitter.com/mk0dQGj17o

— SpaceX (@SpaceX) April 25, 2017

[Reply]
Pants 12:04 AM 04-27-2017
You guys, I know this is super old news and is basically the convention at this point, but the vertical landing is just SO scifi. I can't believe it's actually happening. One of the few stupid things that were seen as futuristic back in the 50's and on has actually come to fruition.
[Reply]
Page 66 of 361
« First < 16566263646566 6768697076116166 > Last »
Up