ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 33 of 57
« First < 232930313233 3435363743 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
lewdog 11:06 AM 03-11-2017
We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:49 AM 06-14-2020
Originally Posted by cabletech94:
i planted a thornless blackberry bush (shrub) 3 years ago this spring/summer. last year i had a really good yield. had berries out the wazoo. this year it appears that i have at least twice the amount of berries as of today. also have a ton of new shoot going in several directions.
this started as on small bareroot plant the size of a coffee can. it appears to be around 20 feet long, 3 feet in depth now. i don't know if you're looking at that, but ive literally done nothing except water it early in the spring. and pick berries in summer.

also, i do a ton of salsa. ive got roma tomatoes everywhere in the garden. i plant in straw bales. yup, straw bales. if you have time to look at pictures and testemonials (sp?) look up on FB straw bale miracle garden site.
Definitely want to do some green chiles, been looking on the New Mexico State University website for seeds but feel I'm late to the party for the year.

Love the idea of a berry bush but am leery of the bird shit. Have a utility line that runs right above my paver walkway to a detached garage. Fucking grackles up there shitting down a new Jackson Pollock painting everyday and I don't even have any bushes in the ground in my yard. Hate to encourage them.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:52 AM 06-14-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Definitely want to do some green chiles, been looking on the New Mexico State University website for seeds but feel I'm late to the party for the year.

Love the idea of a berry bush but am leery of the bird shit. Have a utility line that runs right above my paver walkway to a detached garage. Fucking grackles up there shitting down a new Jackson Pollock painting everyday and I don't even have any bushes in the ground in my yard. Hate to encourage them.
BB gun, fool.
[Reply]
KCUnited 09:58 AM 06-14-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
BB gun, fool.
I've got about 1.5' between the 2 properties to either side of me and some multi stories looming above. I miss and its someones window. Learning the effectiveness of m-80s over here.
[Reply]
cabletech94 10:05 AM 06-14-2020

Love the idea of a berry bush but am leery of the bird shit. Have a utility line that runs right above my paver walkway to a detached garage. ****ing grackles up there shitting down a new Jackson Pollock painting everyday and I don't even have any bushes in the ground in my yard. Hate to encourage them.
scarecrow? make it fun!! also, could you get a a chili plant and put it in a 5 gallon bucket on your deck or something like that? you won't get a whole lot, but some are better than none? (and yes, the season to plant is pretty much past, but IF you could find a plant you could give it a try).
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:18 PM 06-14-2020
I've got about 1.5' between the 2 properties to either side of me and some multi stories looming above. I miss and its someones window. Learning the effectiveness of m-80s over here.
Blame it on the neighbor kids :-)
[Reply]
srvy 08:12 PM 06-14-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Do yourself a favor and find someone that knows something about trees before you plant anything.

A lot of conniferous trees drop their needs and create a super acidic environment and you can’t grow shit for grass or whatever. Another example is there are a lot of maple trees around (including one in my yard :-) ) but it turns out they don’t handle high pH environments very well and get iron chlorosis really bad which really shortens their (including mine :-) ) lifespan.
Yeppers, I worked in Branson Roark Valley Road in the spring. The smell of rootbeer everywhere redbuds and dogwoods in bloom. After work, I took a shovel and dug up sassafrass dogwood and redbuds. we headed home for the weekend and transplanted in my yard. The bitches were going great guns till next spring. They were dead as a hammer couldn't handle clay soil. I guess they were used to rocky limestone sandy soil.
[Reply]
srvy 08:19 PM 06-14-2020
My brother's business he uses Benjamin Moore almost exclusively. He got me a discount on BM clear deck stain sealer waterproofer and their deck wash. I put it down on My moms deck and that stuff is over 10 years water still beads up. Can get it in colors too.

[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:35 PM 06-14-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
My brother's business he uses Benjamin Moore almost exclusively. He got me a discount on BM clear deck stain sealer waterproofer and their deck wash. I put it down on My moms deck and that stuff is over 10 years water still beads up. Can get it in colors too.

Spray on or brush on?
[Reply]
srvy 08:45 PM 06-14-2020
My brother had me spray it on with a pump pressure sprayer worked great. its water-based and he had me thin it with water so it would spray good.
[Reply]
srvy 08:53 PM 06-14-2020
Also Moms deck is fairly shaded with a lot of trees. So it's not sun-beaten to badly. It tends to get moss in areas but hasn't since sealed with BM. My brother said clients have had similar results with full sun decks.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 12:15 PM 06-19-2020
Hit it one more time with the power washer. Still have a little white/sealant left.

Is the next step cleaner, sealant or the clear stain?

[Reply]
dlphg9 01:23 PM 06-19-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
Hit it one more time with the power washer. Still have a little white/sealant left.

Is the next step cleaner, sealant or the clear stain?
Seal, stain, clean.

Don't do that lol. That seems like a terrible order to do it in.
[Reply]
neech 01:33 PM 06-19-2020
I use the TWP Cedartone and its time to get it power washed and stained again, I do it every three years so it looks good.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 08:28 PM 06-20-2020
Really good poop that is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by neech:
I use the TWP Cedartone and its time to get it power washed and stained again, I do it every three years so it looks good.

[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:15 PM 07-20-2020
Update. I got a Deck sander and sanded the deck, my daughter sanded the railings and spindles. We put on a stain. I wanted more of a clear but my wife liked this. color. We took a voted. I got outvoted 1 to 1.

Still like it. New furniture and umbrella this week.

But it is supposed to rain in a few hours. Good thing It is supposed to be water resistant in 4. It will be at least 8 before it rains.

Thanks for the help all.
[Reply]
Page 33 of 57
« First < 232930313233 3435363743 > Last »
Up