ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 57
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread***
lewdog 11:06 AM 03-11-2017
We had a 2014 gardening thread and another planting trees thread. Figured it would be better just to have a general thread to share knowledge about all things yards.

I've learned stuff about growing things here in the desert from people all around the country. Post pictures and share your knowledge!
[Reply]
Buzz 06:37 PM 05-19-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
First of the season!

Got to be better than store bought.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 09:09 AM 05-24-2017
Got 20 Tomatoes planted in my garden area that I bedded in fall and overseeded to cereal rye as a cover crop. Rye got 6 feet tall and I cut it all down with weedwacker. Tomatoes went in with no tillage...so far, other than the damn deer eating 5 plants..i replaced, it looks like a winner way to reduce labor, grow your own weed mulch and build organic matter because Rye has such a huge root system.

And for giggles Im doing ten plants planted into rotting straw bales....deer got 2 of those as well....Electric fence is now up.

Will harvest first Cabbage today...Potatoes look super....Garden could use a week of dry out time.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:25 AM 05-24-2017
Let's keep this party rolling! My pictures from the week. Making Salsa today from the garden. Didn't have picture of the jalapenos but have 30+ on one plant.

Had an extremely strong cane shoot up one of my rose bushes. Once it got to height, it produced 7 roses on one cane. Called a Chicago Peace Rose.

Potted Vincas, which can tolerate the Phoenix summers.

Cherry toms, early girl toms, and Sante Fe grande peppers

Sage in full bloom.

5-6' tall Hibiscus loving the weather and being situated next to the palm trees.

[Reply]
Bob Dole 09:30 AM 05-24-2017
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
They were tearing up Mom's tards and I bought her one of those $20 solar pest spikes. No gophers so far this spring.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 09:34 AM 05-24-2017
This little beast is done and ready to move. Got talked out of putting it on my 16 acres in the middle of nowhere, so looking at a small lot in our downtown historic district. Looking forward to landscaping a tiny yard.
Attached: image.jpg (94.2 KB) 
[Reply]
KChiefs1 02:06 PM 05-26-2017
My latest project:

Really don't know what I'm doing but that's what makes it fun. I'm not sure how to finish it so I'm looking for ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Buzz 06:38 PM 05-27-2017
What length are you guys mowing your grass at, I just jumped from 3" to 3.5", next week going to 4". The heat will be coming soon, I want to choke out any remaining weeds and let the lawn shade itself as much as possible. As a plus, I love the look of the taller grass after edging.

On a side note, just pulled poison ivy out of a bush wearing gloves, still managed to brush some across my arms. Washed them twice, hope I don't break out, I hate that crap.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:55 PM 05-27-2017
Originally Posted by Buzz:
What length are you guys mowing your grass at, I just jumped from 3" to 3.5", next week going to 4". The heat will be coming soon, I want to choke out any remaining weeds and let the lawn shade itself as much as possible. As a plus, I love the look of the taller grass after edging.

On a side note, just pulled poison ivy out of a bush wearing gloves, still managed to brush some across my arms. Washed them twice, hope I don't break out, I hate that crap.
I want to see pictures of the bush wearing gloves ,
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:57 PM 05-27-2017
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
My latest project:

Really don't know what I'm doing but that's what makes it fun. I'm not sure how to finish it so I'm looking for ideas.

Looks like a good place for a commode.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:43 PM 05-27-2017

This seems to work well for me.

[Reply]
lewdog 08:51 PM 05-27-2017
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
My latest project:

Not sure how much sun that spot gets given the fence and the house next door? I like doing something with corner spaces like that though.
[Reply]
eDave 08:54 PM 05-27-2017
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Not sure how much sun that spot gets given the fence and the house next door? I like doing something with corner spaces like that though.
Cactus garden. With a fountain. And cool lighting.

That's a blank palate for a cool space.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:56 PM 05-27-2017
Originally Posted by eDave:
Cactus garden. With a fountain. And cool lighting.

That's a blank palate for a cool space.
Honestly I was thinking something similar with succulents or easy to grow summer flowers that aren't picky. Could make a three tier style if he wanted to put a bit more work and dirt in there.

I think it lacks the sun for garden veggies or roses though.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:58 PM 05-27-2017
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Got 20 Tomatoes planted in my garden area that I bedded in fall and overseeded to cereal rye as a cover crop. Rye got 6 feet tall and I cut it all down with weedwacker. Tomatoes went in with no tillage...so far, other than the damn deer eating 5 plants..i replaced, it looks like a winner way to reduce labor, grow your own weed mulch and build organic matter because Rye has such a huge root system.

And for giggles Im doing ten plants planted into rotting straw bales....deer got 2 of those as well....Electric fence is now up.

Will harvest first Cabbage today...Potatoes look super....Garden could use a week of dry out time.
I tried a cover crop once. I couldn't get anything to beat kochia out of the ground. Mone was a train wreck.

If I were you I'd roundup it at pollination. It should lay down for you. Your cover will last longer and it is less work.

TALL. I live in the desert.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 10:30 AM 05-28-2017
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I tried a cover crop once. I couldn't get anything to beat kochia out of the ground. Mone was a train wreck.

If I were you I'd roundup it at pollination. It should lay down for you. Your cover will last longer and it is less work.

TALL. I live in the desert.

I timed it perfect...problem now is garden is so waterlogged....You will love this...I planted 10 plus acres of Native Grass on April 13. Ive had over 16 inches of rain on it. So you can imagine our clay soils water holding ability with all that gong on.
[Reply]
Page 15 of 57
« First < 51112131415 1617181925 > Last »
Up