ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 17
< 123 456713 > Last »
Media Center>Spinoff: Bands you regret seeing live
Mephistopheles Janx 08:09 AM 08-02-2020
In 2015 I had the distinct displeasure of seeing Blues Traveler at Red Rocks for 4th of July. I'd loved Blues Traveler since I was a teenager and the song Hook came out. I loved the album Four. I loved their sister band the Spin Doctors.

Hanson was the opening act. They were garbage just as one might anticipate.

Guster was the middle act and they were FANTASTIC.

Then Blues Traveler hit the stage and I was ready to be 14 again. Instead, the dude forgot a shit ton of lyrics, was constantly out of breath, and to make matters worse... he brought out Rome from "Sublime with Rome" (an abomination before God and man) and STARTED DOING SUBLIME COVERS.

Fuck John Popper and fuck Rome.
[Reply]
Bowser 06:55 PM 08-02-2020
All I'm learning from this thread is to never meet your heroes. And that Dokken sucks it long and hard (huge George Lynch and Lynch Mob fan, though).
[Reply]
Frazod 07:02 PM 08-02-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
All I'm learning from this thread is to never meet your heroes. And that Dokken sucks it long and hard (huge George Lynch and Lynch Mob fan, though).
It's always a crap shoot when you go see the old 70s/80s bands. Some, like Pat Benatar, haven't lost a beat. Some, like Eddie Money a couple of years ago, clearly had been beat to shit by all the years of hard living, but he poured everything he had into that performance, which made it okay. I'm very happy I was able to see him before he passed.

And then sometimes you get a piece of shit like Don Dokken.

From now on I'll be checking YouTube to see what these performers sound like now, and base my concert choices on that, not what they sounded like decades ago.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 08:53 PM 08-02-2020
Dokken toured with all 4 original members in 2016

However, bassist Jeff Pilson has been fulltime bassist with Foreigner for several years, so if Foreigner is touring, Don will bring a different backup band

Steve Walsh retired from Kansas in 2014, current lineup are Phil Ehart (original drummer) Rich Williams (original guitarist) Billy Greer (bassist since '85) David Ragsdale (violin '91-'97 and 2006 to present) Ronnie Platt (singer since 2014) Zak Rizvi (2nd guitar since 2017) and Tom Brislin (keyboards since 2018)

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:55 PM 08-02-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
Dokken toured with all 4 original members in 2016
The concert footage from Dokken's 2016 DVD was heavily edited from several "rehearsal" shows and the vocals, as weak as they are, were tuned and edited as well.

Mick's retired since then and Don should do the same.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:00 PM 08-02-2020
Originally Posted by Bowser:
I met George backstage at Sandstone when Dokken opened for Judas Priest, somewhere around 1987ish? He was pretty cool but Jeff was super cool.

I ran into George's guitar tech at Andy Brauer's old shop in the Valley in 1992 while scouting places to live (I moved in January 1993) and a week after I returned to KC, Lynch Mob played at the Lone Star, so I had a few beers with him and George, which again, was pretty cool.

George and I have a bunch of mutual friends (Dave Friedman, Reinhold Bogner, Rob Dantonio - all awesome amp designers) and while I haven't seen him in years, everyone says he's still the same laid back dude.

FYI, one of George's daughters just had a baby with Richie Faulker, the guitarist that replaced KK Downing in Judas Priest.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 09:04 PM 08-02-2020
Originally Posted by DeepPurple:
Aren't you in the St. Pete's area? My parents lived there from 1993-1998 and when visiting in 1994, Robby Steinhardt, the original violinist, had a Kansas Tribute band that played one of the local bars quite frequently.

I was never a big Kansas fan but they freakin' rocked.
[Reply]
Iowanian 09:41 PM 08-02-2020
Willi neslson was atrocious. Wish I'd not seen that.
[Reply]
srvy 12:10 AM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by chefsos:
I saw Marshall Tucker Band at a bar in 2002 or so. The girl I was with saw them a year or two before and said they were pretty bad, but we were hoping it was an anomaly.

It wasn't. Specifically, the lead singer's voice was just shot to hell and IN THE MIDDLE of Heard it in a Love Song (the one I really wanted to hear) he passed off the vocals to another band member, while blaming the sound system.

So, whenever I hear their music now I can't un-remember that night and it's disappointing.
Seeing as Tommy died in 1980 and Toy in 1993 of the founding Caldwell brothers you really weren't seeing the MTB.
[Reply]
srvy 12:29 AM 08-03-2020
Stephen Stills solo late 70s early 80s I believe it was at Memorial Hall. CSN had completely split up and I had been a big fan of his. What I didnt know he was in a bad way drinking heavy and whatever else. He was 30 or more minutes late the opening act was horible and had to resort to playing songs over that had been played. When he appeared he was drunk on his ass and had a chair with a table next to it with a fifth of jack Black and a Beer on table. He sat down to his acoustic set and his voice was broken as hell and was missing choords. The crowd was already restless there were no applause to speak of after his song would finish. Then he started getting beligerant with the crowd cussing and sluring his speech. Finally he brought out his band who basically did his show while Stephan drunk sang his way through the minimum contractual time and they walked off to boo's. It was just sad, I guess it got so bad Crosby and Nash and Neil tried to intervene. Neil took him under his wing got him sober and they cut an album and toured a little as the Stills Young Band if I am remembering right. As far as I know Stills remains sober today but boy was that evening sad.
[Reply]
srvy 12:37 AM 08-03-2020
Any you oldsters like me remember a local KC folk singer named Danny Cox? He opened for acts in KC when they couldnt get anyone else he was that bad. He opened for Logins and Messina at Municpal it was horrible they never even lowered the lights for the guy and tryed to boo him off stage. Was the strangest concert as the Loggins and Messina came on and Blew everyone away with one of my top 5 concerts I ever saw.

PS: If I remember right the opening act was supposed to be Nitty Gritty Dirt Band which was a very good band to see and would have fit better with L&M than a folk singer.
[Reply]
cdcox 01:09 AM 08-03-2020
Paul Simon about 3 years ago. Really disappointing.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 01:20 AM 08-03-2020
Winger, fuck that guy! :-). “Dodges punch from Dane”
[Reply]
eDave 01:49 AM 08-03-2020
Not sure about regret but I saw The Verve 2008, imagining a lifetime show since I am such a fan. But it wasn't anything stellar at all and not tight.
I heard Winger ate 5 whole chickens/day.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:02 AM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
Willi neslson was atrocious. Wish I'd not seen that.
He's been pretty bad for a long time. When he sings, he seems to quickly speak, not sing, each line of a song, then pause while the music catches up with a lost look on his face. He never exactly had a melodic singing voice anyway, but at least when he could carry a tune it was passable.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:09 AM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
Not sure about regret but I saw The Verve 2008, imagining a lifetime show since I am such a fan. But it wasn't anything stellar at all and not tight.
I heard Winger ate 5 whole chickens/day.
I saw Winger about four or five years ago. Wasn't terrible, wasn't great. But he at least put forth a good amount of effort.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 17
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up