ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 17
« First < 51112131415 1617 >
Media Center>Spinoff: Bands you regret seeing live
Mephistopheles Janx 08:09 AM 08-02-2020
In 2015 I had the distinct displeasure of seeing Blues Traveler at Red Rocks for 4th of July. I'd loved Blues Traveler since I was a teenager and the song Hook came out. I loved the album Four. I loved their sister band the Spin Doctors.

Hanson was the opening act. They were garbage just as one might anticipate.

Guster was the middle act and they were FANTASTIC.

Then Blues Traveler hit the stage and I was ready to be 14 again. Instead, the dude forgot a shit ton of lyrics, was constantly out of breath, and to make matters worse... he brought out Rome from "Sublime with Rome" (an abomination before God and man) and STARTED DOING SUBLIME COVERS.

Fuck John Popper and fuck Rome.
[Reply]
Pablo 06:14 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
If you get a chance to see Brit Floyd do it. I see them every time I can. I have tix to their next..

Dead Floyd is also great but a smaller production. They mix Floyd and Gratefull Dead. I'm no Dead fan but the two together works reallly well.
Yep. I've seen them a couple of times and definitely will again. Very good show for cheap.
[Reply]
PurpleJesus28 06:36 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
No this show was in Tampa. I remember people yelling Head Like a Hole but Trent wasn’t having it that night I guess.
Ah ok.It sounds like it was the same tour,i just can't remember what other songs NIN played that night.I should probably just google the KC show set list.
[Reply]
PurpleJesus28 06:41 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Vegas_Dave:
Seven Mary Three
Yeah,i've literally only heard that one song that was popular,Cumbersome wasnt it ? I may have unintentionally seen them once at Rockfest,definitely wouldnt go just for them.
[Reply]
patteeu 06:42 PM 08-10-2020
I don't really regret seeing them, but I was pretty disappointed the first time I saw one of my favorite bands, the Jesus and Mary Chain. The lead guitarist spent most of the concert with his back to the crowd with his head down. Both he and his brother, the main vocalist, wore their hair long and down in their faces and there was absolutely no interaction with the crowd at all. And they were obviously loaded. The songs were alright, but I wasn't ready for the low-key presentation.

Years later, I saw the Pixies who don't say much to the crowd during their shows either, but I was prepared for them so I guess it's a matter of expectations.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 09:00 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by patteeu:
I don't really regret seeing them, but I was pretty disappointed the first time I saw one of my favorite bands, the Jesus and Mary Chain. The lead guitarist spent most of the concert with his back to the crowd with his head down. Both he and his brother, the main vocalist, wore their hair long and down in their faces and there was absolutely no interaction with the crowd at all. And they were obviously loaded. The songs were alright, but I wasn't ready for the low-key presentation.

Years later, I saw the Pixies who don't say much to the crowd during their shows either, but I was prepared for them so I guess it's a matter of expectations.
I had a similar experience with REM. I saw them early in their rise to fame about 1985 at Savannah Civic Center. The lighting was purple and it stayed purple, no other colors, no spotlights, no bright lights, just a dim color of purple over the whole stage. The backdrop was a light projected on the wheels of an upside down bicycle spinning slowly around. There was only 1200 people at the show at an 8,000 seat arena, I was able to get directly in front of Michael Stipe, maybe 8' away and he was up about 5' higher. If not for that, I couldn't tell you what he was doing. Stipe still had his hair but it was dyed white, but it did make it so I could see where he was. It was kind of like this.

I just remembered, the opening band was the Minutemen, they got that name because every song was no longer than a minute. A week after seeing them perform, the lead singer guitarist was killed when he fell asleep driving their van to a show. The only part of their show I remember is the singer was a big fat guy jumping around on stage and just when the song got going, it was over.

[Reply]
Halfcan 09:59 PM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Jimmy Crespo and Rick Dufay played on Rock In A Hard Place and the subsequent tours until they all reunited for Done With Mirrors in 1985.
:-)

Yes, you are right. I blended the two tours together.

Rock in a Hard Place- was indeed the show I was refferring to with Crespo. Things are fuzzy from that time. We literally saw Everyone that came through town. That album was panned by critics, but I thought it had a few bright spots.

As you stated, Done with Mirrors- was the follow up. I think it was not well received either, but thanks to the "Music Club" I got it free and went to the show. I really don't remember much at all about it except the band kind of lacked energy and just stumbled through the songs.

Between the two- I like RIaHP better. The band was tighter and a lot bettter chemistry. Now they just dub Crespo as a "Perry Fill in" but he co-wrote a lot of that album. IMO his guitar work was equal to or better- but hey I was just a teenage rocker- what did I know? :-)
[Reply]
DJJasonp 08:53 AM 08-11-2020
Originally Posted by patteeu:

I dragged my wife to a Jesus and Mary chain show (she wasnt a fan) where the opening act was so awful, she became so irritated and wanted to leave.

I guess I may not have missed much, since we left before they came on since the horrible opening act kept dragging on and on.
[Reply]
DeepPurple 09:08 AM 08-11-2020
The Aeromyth tribute band I posted above, when they played in Vegas Jimmy Crespo was in the band.

[Reply]
patteeu 04:42 PM 08-11-2020
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
I dragged my wife to a Jesus and Mary chain show (she wasnt a fan) where the opening act was so awful, she became so irritated and wanted to leave.

I guess I may not have missed much, since we left before they came on since the horrible opening act kept dragging on and on.
Yeah, you probably didn't miss much. I saw them a second time ~10 years later in Denver (the first was in St. Louis) and the show was a little better, but William Reid had left the band after the two brothers got in a fight on stage at the previous show. They've reunited a few times since then, but that was pretty much the end. I guess they had issues.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 09:17 PM 08-16-2020
Smash mouth at Sturgis!
[Reply]
KurtCobain 04:28 PM 08-17-2020
Worst show I've ever seen in my life was Rob zombie at rockfest in 2015. Pathetic.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 05:49 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by KurtCobain:
Worst show I've ever seen in my life was Rob zombie at rockfest in 2015. Pathetic.
I am sad to hear that.
[Reply]
Easy 6 07:08 PM 08-17-2020
Originally Posted by KurtCobain:
So give us some detail, mang

Love a ton of his stuff, that first album is still fresh as the day it was made... but I’ve definitely heard mixed reviews of his live shows
[Reply]
Dayze 07:09 PM 08-17-2020
Motley Crue at crew fest quite a while back.

Just awful

Not as bad a Axl Rose as GNR a few years back at the Midland. Sucked so bad my wife and just hung out in the lobby area and drank beer waiting for the other people we went with /concert to be over.

That was the last time time I paid north of $150 for a ticket to a concert . Probably the last time. Been burned too many times by these bands /hyped concerts.
[Reply]
scho63 02:08 AM 08-18-2020
Originally Posted by Coochie liquor:
Never been a Springsteen fan, but I always heard he doesn’t play his hits and always plays some songs nobody has heard for 20 plus years. Was that the case when you saw him?
No , he plays some hits, some obscure B sides and some covers from other singers.

The great thing about his shows are there isn't a fucking single moment without energy and music and people all dancing and juiced. It's like a 4-5 hour exercise program 60,000 people are all participating in.

I don't know anyone except Mick Jagger who has the energy level of Springsteen.

My friends and I spent our adolescent years chasing him at all the small clubs in Jersey he was "rumored" to be playing a secret event, never to get lucky.

Twice we missed him by days at clubs we went to and he showed up a few days later. That I would have liked to see.
[Reply]
Page 15 of 17
« First < 51112131415 1617 >
Up