ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Media Center>Star Trek: Lower Decks
Mephistopheles Janx 09:48 PM 07-27-2020
This feels like it may be more STTNG with a splash of Orville... but animated. I will definitely be giving this a look.

[Reply]
KC_Connection 11:03 AM 08-12-2020
ST Voyager is prestige level television compared to ST Discovery. I watched the first season of that for the first time a few months back (after pushing it back for years) and was so annoyed with it that I didn't bother to watch S2 (which I know has Spock and Pike). It actually had potential too if they didn't make some of the idiotic choices they made with the characters at the end of the season.
[Reply]
Jamie 11:41 AM 08-12-2020
The fact that they abandoned the whole "scarcity of resources" subplot was the first thing that annoyed me about Voyager. Or second, the first thing was that they were more concerned about replicating a cup of coffee than having enough antimatter (I was 12 and had read the Star Trek TNG Technical Manual).
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 11:50 AM 08-12-2020
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
ST Voyager is prestige level television compared to ST Discovery. I watched the first season of that for the first time a few months back (after pushing it back for years) and was so annoyed with it that I didn't bother to watch S2 (which I know has Spock and Pike). It actually had potential too if they didn't make some of the idiotic choices they made with the characters at the end of the season.
I haven't watched Discovery. Don't know that I will.
[Reply]
Frazod 12:03 PM 08-12-2020
Season 2 of Discovery is tolerable because of Pike, Spock, Number One and the Enterprise. I've probably said this a dozen times. I'm totally looking forward to the new Pike-centered show. As for Discovery, I doubt if I'll even watch it, unless I hear really, really good things about it from people I trust first. It's amazing what an unlikable cast they've assembled. I don't care if any of them live or die, and in the case of Stamets, I'm actually rooting for death. Worst character in Star Trek history. He sucks so bad he makes Neelix look like Data.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:40 PM 08-12-2020
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
I haven't watched Discovery. Don't know that I will.
I wouldn't. It will just annoy you. The decisions made concerning Jason Isaacs' character (Captain Lorca) and what he was reduced to at the end of the season just completely ruined the entire thing for me (among other issues).
[Reply]
Frazod 12:57 PM 08-12-2020
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
I wouldn't. It will just annoy you. The decisions made concerning Jason Isaacs' character (Captain Lorca) and what he was reduced to at the end of the season just completely ruined the entire thing for me (among other issues).
Agreed. Lorca was the only one I actually liked.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:18 PM 08-12-2020
This is one of those things on a streaming service that I'll never pay for.

But I guess I'm the only person who actually thinks this is a fun idea?
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 02:13 PM 08-12-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
This is one of those things on a streaming service that I'll never pay for.

But I guess I'm the only person who actually thinks this is a fun idea?
I thoroughly enjoyed the episode. I too, though, refuse to pay for these bullshit streaming services for specific content.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:25 PM 08-12-2020
I thoroughly enjoyed the episode. I too, though, refuse to pay for these bullshit streaming services for specific content.
I mean Clerks built an entire bit on the poor contractors that got blown up while installing toilets on the death star. Robot Chicken and Family Guy have both done something similar w/ storm troopers that were just there to get their equivalent of a GI bill while working in the radio room or something and got blown up.

It's not completely unique, but it's always good to pump for a few laughs here and there. And when they start plumbing the dynamic between the 'normies' and the 'heroes' of the traditional Star Trek stories for humor, there's gonna be some good stuff there.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 11:47 PM 08-15-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I mean Clerks built an entire bit on the poor contractors that got blown up while installing toilets on the death star. Robot Chicken and Family Guy have both done something similar w/ storm troopers that were just there to get their equivalent of a GI bill while working in the radio room or something and got blown up.

It's not completely unique, but it's always good to pump for a few laughs here and there. And when they start plumbing the dynamic between the 'normies' and the 'heroes' of the traditional Star Trek stories for humor, there's gonna be some good stuff there.
Completely with you on Robot Chicken/Family Guy's spoofs on Star Wars. I think what I'm into here is that this is actual Star Trek. This isn't a spoof or a bit. Whatever happens in this show is CANNON.

https://comicbook.com/startrek/news/...-mike-mcmahan/

What a strange way for Star Trek to continue the Prime timeline... but I'm actually enjoying it.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 10:47 PM 08-21-2020
Perhaps the most important man in Starfleet History... Chief Miles O'Brien

[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 06:33 PM 08-29-2020
So... I'm just gonna keep talking to myself in this thread.

This last episode was by far the best and the most "Trek" of the season so far. I can't believe that no one else is in this thread talking about this show. This feels like a show that could run for 4-5 seasons without getting stale.
[Reply]
bowener 07:26 AM 09-01-2020
So... I'm just gonna keep talking to myself in this thread.

This last episode was by far the best and the most "Trek" of the season so far. I can't believe that no one else is in this thread talking about this show. This feels like a show that could run for 4-5 seasons without getting stale.
It is clear to me, especially after the most recent episode, that the writers of the show understand and love Star Trek. They seemingly mocked my own concerns, and a lot of other people I assume, when they made it seem like all the officers were going to get pissed at Rutherford for changing his mind over and over. Instead, they kept it Trek and everyone was super supportive of his choice to find his place on the ship.
[Reply]
BigRichard 09:55 AM 09-01-2020
I might check it out. I love Star Trek and I love good funny cartoons as well.
[Reply]
keg in kc 03:19 PM 09-01-2020
Yeah, it's been way, way better than I expected, especially after the abortion that was Picard.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up