ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 9
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Chiefs' Playoff Paths
Rain Man 05:04 PM 12-15-2018
Here are all of our potential outcomes for your viewing pleasure. Scenarios A through M based on the outcomes of various combinations of games. The big numbers are our final seeding.

(Edit: Updated with a new graphic to show changes heading into Sunday on Week 16.)
Attached: Playoff Paths.jpg (76.3 KB) Playoff Paths Week 16.jpg (66.3 KB) Playoff Paths Week 16 After Saturday.jpg (53.9 KB) 
[Reply]
KCJake 06:15 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by Flying High D:
At end of the day it is what it is.
That's what she said
[Reply]
T-post Tom 06:23 PM 12-15-2018
RM, you mad genius. My head hurts.
[Reply]
Over Yonder 12-15-2018, 06:28 PM
This message has been deleted by Over Yonder.
Chief Roundup 06:29 PM 12-15-2018
What a horrible graphic.
[Reply]
Over Yonder 06:30 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by Flying High D:
At end of the day it is what it is.
That is true but I love this time of the year with playoff scenarios. What if Houston does this, what if New England does that, what if a comet hits Pluto during the 2:00 warning of the 49ers game, etc. etc.

I think it is a habit I picked up years ago when the Chiefs stunk and I had to find interest in the playoffs. Not sure :-)
[Reply]
Shiver Me Timbers 06:56 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by 65TPT:

I'm having a little trouble here.
LOLLER
[Reply]
007 07:08 PM 12-15-2018
Just beat Seattle right now.
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:15 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by FAX:
Not following possibilities G and H. They look very similar to me. But they have different seeding results.

I'm probably just confused.

FAX
Originally Posted by PHOG:
I think option H should be NE = 3-0, maybe.
Oh, goodness, you're correct. Edit made. I missed a sign change. I bet this is why some people were confused by the graphic.
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:16 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by Dante84:
So we would prefer Houston lose this game, yes?
Yes, we definitely want Houston to lose.

(Checks score on nfl.com.)

Dammit.
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:31 PM 12-15-2018
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
What a horrible graphic.
You're not looking at it right. You have to unfocus your eyes and then look past it.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:17 PM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:
There must be some weird tiebreakers that the models aren't able to calculate. The NYT gizmo says that Scenario B only goes to the Chargers if they beat the Ravens (so the Chiefs would have the tiebreaker instead of the Chargers). Apparently ESPN says the opposite. I'm not sure what it really comes down to.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ss&event=seed1

Okay, I'm looking into this.

The first tiebreaker is head to head record. Somehow both teams are tied on this, so it's completely irrelevant regardless of the next two weeks.

The second tiebreaker is the record within the division. The Chargers are currently 3-2 and the Chiefs are technically 4-1 because the Chargers cheated.

The third tiebreaker is record against common opponents. The Chiefs are currently 9-1 and the Chargers are 8-2.

The fourth tiebreaker is conference record. The Chiefs are currently 9-2 and the Chargers are 8-2.

So I think there's an error in the ESPN model, which is the one that I was using. If we beat the Seahawks and lose to the Raiders we end up with a 4-2 division record, tied with the Chargers if they beat the Broncos. So we're tied on the second tiebreaker.

In that scenario, we would end up with a 10-2 record against common opponents which would beat the Chargers. The Chargers would need to beat the Broncos to get to 4-2 within the division, AND they'd need to beat the Ravens to just flat out win the division because they gained a game on us.

This also affects Scenario F, so this really helps us. It gives Phillip Rivers another chance to blow it.

Edit made to OP.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 04:25 PM 12-16-2018
I did this the other day. This is cleaner than my chart lol. Very well done Rainman. Not sure how people are confused. You should feel proud.
[Reply]
Mr. Wizard 04:34 PM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Here are all of our potential outcomes for your viewing pleasure. Scenarios A through M based on the outcomes of various combinations of games. The big numbers are our final seeding.
I am sorry but with Elmer Fudd, oops I mean uncle Bob as our DC........

via GIPHY

and Scandrick as a starter and Fuller out, this is how I feel

via GIPHY

[Reply]
petegz28 04:44 PM 12-16-2018
We're headed straight for the #5 seed if LAC beats the Raves on Saturday. I don't think we have the defense to beat Seattle.
[Reply]
scho63 04:51 PM 12-16-2018
I can't do complicated flow charts on the weekend after alcohol. :-)
[Reply]
Trivers 05:19 PM 12-16-2018
Thanks for doing the math and making the graphics!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 9
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up