ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Media Center>PC Maintenance-What Do You Do?
vailpass 12:46 PM 12-06-2018
It's been almost 2 years since we built my sons' rigs. They are all running fine but seems to me I should be doing some sort of tune up or clean out. Should I?

What do you do for periodic maintenance and well-care for your PC?
[Reply]
vailpass 02:14 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Fish:
FYI... never try and defrag an SSD drive. It's 100% unnecessary due to the very different way it stores data. It will also drastically reduce the life span of the drive if you try it.

Defrag got a very undeserved reputation as being a fix all maintenance procedure back in the early Windows days. But it's the equivalent of blowing on the NES cartridge to make it work. 95% of the time it was unnecessary and did nothing to improve actual performance.
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
All of this. Completely unnecessary to defrag modern filesystems and will actually shorten the life of an SSD.
Thank you boys, this I did not know.
[Reply]
Fishpicker 02:16 PM 12-06-2018
endust wipes for electronics is a pretty good product for cleaning monitor screens, touch screens and the backside of the PC. it has the same solution that is used for cleaning eye glasses.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:16 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by listopencil:
But don't stick your hands in there when you spray. If you sneeze you'll pull all of the wiring loose. And then you'll end up paying someone to plug all of that shit back in.
This is a random but much appreciated tale of caution.

Originally Posted by jd1020:
I unplug mine, take both side panels off, and use a leaf blower on it. Canned air takes too much damn time and doesn't do a good enough job, imo.
And this is an awesome Cousin Eddy visual.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:18 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Fishpicker:
endust wipes for electronics is a pretty good product for cleaning monitor screens, touch screens and the backside of the PC. it has the same solution that is used for cleaning eye glasses.
And made in the USA I see. $7 for a 70 count? I'm in. Gracias.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:20 PM 12-06-2018
I unplug mine, take both side panels off, and use a leaf blower on it. Canned air takes too much damn time and doesn't do a good enough job, imo.
I use my air compressor. :-)
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:25 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I use my air compressor. :-)
Just make sure you’ve drained the water.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 02:30 PM 12-06-2018
a good powerwash now and again.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:33 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
a good powerwash now and again.
Back in the day when I did tech support on dialup and Pentium 3's, I had a customer actually submerge their keyboard and mouse in soapy water to "clean" it.
[Reply]
jd1020 02:36 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by vailpass:
It's not as uncommon as you think. I got the idea from a youtuber that I watch named Carey Holzman, he's a computer tech.

You can get a cheap ass electric leaf blower for like $30 and never have to continuously buy $5 cans of compressed air.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:39 PM 12-06-2018
I unplug mine, take both side panels off, and use a leaf blower on it.
Originally Posted by vailpass:
'puter's full
[Reply]
jd1020 02:40 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
'puter's full
:-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:42 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
'puter's full
:-)
[Reply]
vailpass 02:49 PM 12-06-2018
It's not as uncommon as you think. I got the idea from a youtuber that I watch named Carey Holzman, he's a computer tech.

You can get a cheap ass electric leaf blower for like $30 and never have to continuously buy $5 cans of compressed air.
Yeah that does make a lot of sense. I hate canned air getting so cold it loses pressure and starts shooting out liquid.

This thing looks like it might do the job.

https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Airrow...ct_top?ie=UTF8
[Reply]
srvy 07:56 PM 12-06-2018
Shop Vac works good by reversing the hose it becomes a blower. Its a little less powerful than a leaf blower less chance to damage anything. I have done this with a lot of electronics like tv, receivers, guitar amps etc.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:32 PM 12-06-2018
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy:
I don't do shit.
This! Unless your running Windows 95.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up