ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Media Center>Bohemian Rhapsody Spin Off Thread - Incredible Voices
Pants 09:36 PM 12-03-2018
I always loved Queen growing up and their Greatest Hits CD (you know the one) was a staple for me. I watched the movie a couple of weeks ago and saw someone mention the depravity of Freddie in the Bohemian Rhapsody thread. That piqued my curiosity and I had to find out more.

So I finally decided to go on a Freddie Mercury tear. Among other things, I ended up watching a video on Youtube by Polyphonic, attempting to explain the things that made his voice so legendary.

That got me thinking about which voice would be the GOAT for me. I kept thinking about the times my mind was blown or voices that made me want to cry or gave me goosebumps. I remembered being dumbfounded the first time I heard the crazy Mongolian Khoomei stuff. You know, shit like that.

I still don't know my personal "greatest voice of all time," but GODDAMN, does this Lizzie Higgins lady singing this song come close:

If you feel like it, share your GOATs. What voice/song stirs that something "ancient" up in you and makes you all kinds of weird emotional? :-)
[Reply]
Rasputin 11:32 AM 12-04-2018

[Reply]
htismaqe 12:33 PM 12-04-2018
One of my favorite songs as far as vocals go...

[Reply]
htismaqe 12:35 PM 12-04-2018
I also have to say that seeing the Bohemian Rhapsody movie changed my mind on Rami Malek as an actor. Good movie, GREAT acting.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 01:58 PM 12-04-2018
Tops on my list has got to be Bob Marley! His voice always brings me to chills and goosebumps.

A few others I’d have to add to the list also

Chris Robinson from the Black Crowes dude can sing his ass off!

Myles Kennedy has a killer rock voice and he has many levels to it!

[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:03 PM 12-04-2018
Another great vocal performance, that often get overlooked in the general amazeballs genius surrounding him, is Sir Paul on Don't Let Me Down.

Such emotion and passion. Rumor is he destroyed his cords on this take.

To appreciate it, compare it to covers, or even studio sessions where they try it as ensemble harmony.
[Reply]
Shag 02:24 PM 12-04-2018
Live tracks are where it's at for me - really gives you a good idea of true vocal talent...

Chris Stapleton has long been a favorite of mine, from back when he was fronting the Steeldrivers. Tons of great tracks, but this one is amazing:

Totally different genre, but Pavaratti's high B (2:36) in Nessun Dorma is chill-inducing:

Brandi Carlile has an amazing voice:

[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 04:48 PM 12-04-2018
One that many may not agree with, Sammy Hagar.

[Reply]
Rivaldo 05:57 PM 12-04-2018
Hagar! I can dig it.

[Reply]
Rivaldo 05:58 PM 12-04-2018
Oh I don't like wat I been told. I'm feelin'.
[Reply]
Rivaldo 06:03 PM 12-04-2018
Not words, but the vocal parts at the end of this track are unreal. Try to sing 'em. Legit, it's fun.

They sing in unison till 8:50, when they then do complimentary different parts.
That would be tough. Always thought harmonizing vocally would be difficult. lol

Ho! Hiya hiya hiya hiya...Ohhh ohhh ohhh... Ha ha heeeeeeeeeeeee

those 2 cats, pictured on the still frame of the video right above.
[Reply]
Rivaldo 06:36 PM 12-04-2018
Pat is from Lee's Summit. One of the greatest Jazz musicians ever

and the greatest rock band, King's X, formed in Springfield MO

dayum, we r good
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 07:35 PM 12-04-2018
Floor Jansen

Nobody has mentioned Bruce Dickinson yet?

[Reply]
Dayze 09:07 PM 12-04-2018
Granted, always loved Cantrell and Staley’s harmonizing, but Layne could absolutely rip.

Particularly 3:20 Onwards

[Reply]
Pants 10:40 PM 12-04-2018
Originally Posted by GloucesterChief:
Floor Jansen

Nobody has mentioned Bruce Dickinson yet?

OMG. I'm not a huge fan of that genre, but that Storytime song is just so epic. Unbelievable.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:40 PM 12-04-2018
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
One that many may not agree with, Sammy Hagar.
I absolutely cannot stand Sammy Hagar, Montrose, his solo stuff, or his stuff with Van Halen. Don't ask me why but he's like one of my least favorite rock and rollers on earth.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up