Edit:
Matheny fired 07/14/2018

Opening Day Roster
Spoiler!

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:45 AM 12-17-2018
But guys I was depreeeeesed....

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...ml?mode=nowapp

Sounds like someone sulked because he couldn't play his way onto the field to me. But Dexter and his social media savvy internet famous wife concocted themselves a nice little attack-proof narrative built around a hot-button issue to shield him from criticism. 'Depressed' sounds a lot better than 'pouting' and I see no evidence that there's any clinical distinction in Fowler's case. If he got some time off, talked to Barry Bonds about hitting and is all better now, he damn sure wasn't clinically depressed. But good luck trying to make that point; the usual suspects will jump your ass for being insensitive AND racist.

If he sucks again this year we'll find out that he's actually transgender and was tired of hiding himself from the world or some other such horseshit.

Fuck Fowler.
[Reply]
raybec 4 11:26 AM 12-17-2018
How much water would being depressed hold at any other job?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:30 AM 12-17-2018
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
Technically quite a bit, if it's a diagnosis of clinical depression I'm fairly certain you end up with ADA protections.

But this ain't that. This is just throwing up a buzz word because he was pissed off at his boss.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:02 PM 12-17-2018
Originally Posted by raybec 4:
If its clinical depression and diagnosed by a Dr.? Every business in America would take it seriously.

It means you are going to cause harm to yourself. You know this and do nothing, its held up in court that you are as liable to be sued or face criminal charges if you knew a crime was going to be committed that would cause harm to innocent citizens.

Of course, Fowler doesn't have that diagnosis. He was sad because he was embarrassed and lost his job after being a bigshot. Thats not a legal thing.
[Reply]
VAChief 02:27 PM 12-17-2018
I sincerely hope he bounces back too, I just don't understand why it's an either/or situation. You can sign Harper AND give Fowler a chance. Last I checked there are 3 outfield spots. Bader could regress, although unlikely defensively and Ozuna's arm could fall off.
[Reply]
VAChief 02:33 PM 12-17-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
But guys I was depreeeeesed....

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/base...ml?mode=nowapp

Sounds like someone sulked because he couldn't play his way onto the field to me. But Dexter and his social media savvy internet famous wife concocted themselves a nice little attack-proof narrative built around a hot-button issue to shield him from criticism. 'Depressed' sounds a lot better than 'pouting' and I see no evidence that there's any clinical distinction in Fowler's case. If he got some time off, talked to Barry Bonds about hitting and is all better now, he damn sure wasn't clinically depressed. But good luck trying to make that point; the usual suspects will jump your ass for being insensitive AND racist.

If he sucks again this year we'll find out that he's actually transgender and was tired of hiding himself from the world or some other such horseshit.

**** Fowler.
It's not insensitive or racist and I'm pretty liberal. I'm also driven by facts, and the facts were not on his side. You want to play hit better, and maybe try cutting off balls that Matt Adams can get to before they drop.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:53 AM 12-18-2018
Originally Posted by VAChief:
I sincerely hope he bounces back too, I just don't understand why it's an either/or situation. You can sign Harper AND give Fowler a chance. Last I checked there are 3 outfield spots. Bader could regress, although unlikely defensively and Ozuna's arm could fall off.
Since we are stuck with him, I hope he bounces back too. I hope that something clicks in O'Neill and he cuts down on his strikeouts. I hope that the new hitting coaches and analytic coaches can also improve Bader, DeJong and Wong's K's. I hope that Reyes can stay healthy all year. And so on and so on. Seems like we are due for lots of "hope" this year.
[Reply]
Miles 08:04 AM 12-18-2018
Originally Posted by VAChief:
Exactly. If fine giving him a chance but shouldn’t be counting on him to rebound as though it were some sort of sure thing and preventing other moves.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:49 AM 12-18-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Since we are stuck with him, I hope he bounces back too. I hope that something clicks in O'Neill and he cuts down on his strikeouts. I hope that the new hitting coaches and analytic coaches can also improve Bader, DeJong and Wong's K's. I hope that Reyes can stay healthy all year. And so on and so on. Seems like we are due for lots of "hope" this year.
I don't.

For the same reasons I wasn't 'hoping' for Matheny to figure anything out the last 2 seasons.

I'm tired of the Cardinals being rewarded for rank indifference. The system had enough arms coming through it to save Matheny's ass time and time again. In the process he just kept wrecking them. Now we've burned up a bunch of service time from Reyes to no benefit, we've traded Weaver at his lowest possible value, we've shredded lefthanded relievers repeatedly, causing us to spend money on Cecil that now pushes us 'past budget' for the Bryce Harpers of the world.

Seeing a team coast on it laurels and not bottom out on account of it isn't something worth 'hoping' for. I want to see Dexter's sweet smile everytime Harper blasts a ball over his head into the RF seats. I want to see that clown strike out with runners in scoring position every chance he gets. I want to see abject failure from the guy.

Because it's the only way to shake this organization out of its malaise. At some point they convinced themselves they're just smarter than everyone and it has to stop.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:39 PM 12-18-2018
This is just sad from Bernie’s column on the Athletic.

After all, in the post-2016 offseason, only the Dodgers spent more money on free agents than the Cardinals, who invested $113 million in free-agent contracts for outfielder Dexter Fowler and reliever Brett Cecil.
[Reply]
jd1020 09:31 PM 12-18-2018

After all, in the post-2016 offseason, only the Dodgers spent more money on free agents than the Cardinals, who invested $113 million in free-agent contracts for outfielder Dexter Fowler and reliever Brett Cecil.
Might be a reason why DeWitt is hesitant to give Mo a blank check.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:25 PM 12-18-2018
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Might be a reason why DeWitt is hesitant to give Mo a blank check.
If you don't trust your GM enough to empower him utilize the full extent of your available resources, fire his ass.

Well...unless your goal isn't championships but rather half measures designed to spur fan interest while maximizing profit.

So I guess it all makes sense.
[Reply]
jd1020 10:32 PM 12-18-2018
You're selling Mo short, he's President now.
[Reply]
bdj23 10:58 PM 12-18-2018
I said something about signing Harper on a Cardinals fb post earlier today. I absolutely cannot believe how many people think it's a bad idea because Dewallet wouldn't get the right ROI.

LOL @ fans worrying about Dewallet's profit margins over winning a championship. Best fans in baseball my ass.
[Reply]
Miles 11:15 PM 12-18-2018

Good for a combined -0.3 WAR through two seasons.
[Reply]
Page 296 of 301
« First < 196246286292293294295296 297298299300 > Last »
Up