ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Media Center>Rent A Super Computer?
BWillie 11:02 PM 12-15-2018
I am wondering if this type of service exists or if anybody on CP would be willing to rent me a computer temporarily. I just need to download either https://www.piosolver.com/ or https://www.gtoplus.com/ (poker solvers) training software on a computer - and be able to access it. I can delete all of the data at the end of the rental period.

I've tried using pio solver on my computer - which is a pretty decent computer but it takes way to long to run the solver. It can take 10 minutes or more to solve a basic decision tree.

Instead of spending $3,000 on a computer, I thought maybe a rental service of a computer that I can remote connect to might be a cheaper option. I currently watch poker training videos that feature this training software but I'm not able to run my own decision trees, which is not as desirable.

It appears the computer needs to be at least:
https://www.piosolver.com/pages/technical-details

Technical details
System requirements:

-4+GB of free RAM for comfortable usage (full single-raised-pot with 2/3 pot bets everywhere takes about 1.2GB of RAM for wide 6max ranges and 1.9GB for wide HU ranges (90% vs 70%)); you need more for trees with multiple bet sizes (25bb HU tree with 2 sizes everywhere (30%-60%) is 5.9GB, 100bb tree with 2 sizes everywhere and 6max ranges is 7.8GB; the trees are proportionally smaller with smaller ranges).

-modern 64-bit CPU (for comfortable usage i5/i7 quad or equivalent is recommended but we tested on older quads as well and it will work just slower (anywhere from 2x to 5x slower))

-modern Windows (7 or newer) (but see next point)

-Mac works. Our customers run the solver using Parallels or Bootcamp. If you would like to give it a shot, try the free-version first.

-modern .Net Framework (available for free on Microsoft's website, already present on most modern computers)

Solution trees:

A typical tree takes anywhere from 500MB to 4GB of RAM if you use one bet size. Once you start adding bet-sizes you can build as big tree as your RAM can handle. If you are curious about specific trees, feel free to drop us an email. In general 16GB of RAM is almost never a limitation while 8GB sometimes is for really big trees with multiple bet sizes.
It's possible to save a tree and resume execution later. If you decide you want better quality of the solution you can always resume solving for a little more time
Quality of the solutions is expressed as exploitability per hand. If the solution is "exploitable" for x It means that perfect adversary (one knowing our exact strategy and employing best possible counter strategy) would expect to win x/hand. For example if the solution is exploitable by 0.25 with 5$/10$ blinds and 65$ starting pot (typical postflop spot) it means perfect adversary could win 0.25$/hand = 2.5bb/100. With PioSOLVER it's easy to get this kind of quality (I usually solve to something like 1bb/100). To put those numbers in perspective, rake in typical MSNL game these days is about 15-30bb/100 per player (remember that we are talking about postflop situations).
[Reply]
DaveNull 07:48 AM 12-16-2018
Amazon Web Services is what you're looking for.
[Reply]
HC_Chief 09:29 AM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by DaveNull:
Amazon Web Services is what you're looking for.
Yep.

Here you go: https://amzn.to/2BlTYT7
[Reply]
Fish 09:49 AM 12-16-2018
:-).... you can borrow mine to cheat at online poker. Only $1,000 per day.
[Reply]
BWillie 01:17 PM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by Fish:
:-).... you can borrow mine to cheat at online poker. Only $1,000 per day.
This is solving software to be able to learn how to play GTO against other good players also playing utilizing a GTO strategy or close to it. It's training software, it's not something to cheat.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 03:49 PM 12-16-2018
BWillie,

How would this software work against a maniac? What about someone who is aware of said software and plays a wide range of hands to throw their opponents off?
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 04:11 PM 12-16-2018
Lulz. Git good rook
[Reply]
Demonpenz 05:53 PM 12-16-2018
I got the Mike Matheney of computers. (Abacus)
[Reply]
BWillie 08:12 PM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by HC_Chief:
Yep.

Here you go: https://amzn.to/2BlTYT7
Thanks man - I'll give it a shot - but I'm already confused just reading about it. I guess I'll just contact their sales department next week and figure it out.
[Reply]
BWillie 08:18 PM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
BWillie,

How would this software work against a maniac? What about someone who is aware of said software and plays a wide range of hands to throw their opponents off?
A solver doesn't care how the other opponent plays, it only reacts to different bet sizing. It employs a strategy that no one can exploit no matter what they do. The best anyone could ever do against a true GTO strategy is breakeven (and in poker lose due to rake).

A GTO strategy is not always the best and most profitable strategy especially if you are playing against recreational players - but in will still be plus ev or profitable due to the mistakes typical recreational players make against it. In general, it's more imperative to play a GTO strategy against advanced & good players compared to players that are too loose, too aggressive, too tight, too passive and just plain bad (ie most live poker players). It also gives you a tool to see how players are deviating from GTO and from there you can employ a exploitative strategy against these players until they adjust.

In general what I do with maniacs is I isolate them preflop more so I can hoard them to myself and get them into a heads up pot. I call them often, and give them room to overbluff or overcall depending on their tendencies & what position I'm in. But expect alot of variance because variance goes up with weak hand ranges.
[Reply]
HC_Chief 09:46 AM 12-17-2018
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Thanks man - I'll give it a shot - but I'm already confused just reading about it. I guess I'll just contact their sales department next week and figure it out.
Knock out a couple of Python tutorials and look into SageMaker. Python is great for coding your algorithms and working with data sets; SageMaker is your framework for setting up tests and training. I recommend starting there with the free tier to learn the basics before contacting sales. Otherwise you will burn $ to learn something you could pick up for free.
[Reply]
Fish 10:31 AM 12-17-2018
Originally Posted by BWillie:
:-)... this isn't actually a link to Amazon selling supercomputers. This is for running cloud-based code. Meaning you'd take whatever code you were wanting to run on your own "Cheap" supercomputer, upload it to Amazon's cloud and they would run the code there and then give you the result. But this likely would never work for you since you would require immediate real-time processing during the hand.

I'm not sure you're going to find a "Cheap" solution to this...
[Reply]
BWillie 12:56 PM 12-17-2018
Originally Posted by Fish:
:-)... this isn't actually a link to Amazon selling supercomputers. This is for running cloud-based code. Meaning you'd take whatever code you were wanting to run on your own "Cheap" supercomputer, upload it to Amazon's cloud and they would run the code there and then give you the result. But this likely would never work for you since you would require immediate real-time processing during the hand.

I'm not sure you're going to find a "Cheap" solution to this...
Yeah maybe I'm not being clear. I don't want to run code, I just need a good enough computer to be able to utilize the solving software of either PIO (piosolver.com) or GTO+. And I'm not going to use it when playing poker. Real time solutions & processing during a hand is impossible, especially when playing 8-12 tables, and would be cheating. Sadly there are bots out there that probably do this. I just want to cut down on it taking 10-15 minutes to solve ONE hand and maybe have something like 1-2 minutes so I can study more effectively.

I just need to be able to use a really good computer, I can just remote connect to it, and do what I need to do. I only NEED it for 1 -2 months probably. I'll just take some time during those months to do some intense studying.
[Reply]
Up