ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 203 of 934
« First < 103153193199200201202203 204205206207213253303703 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Munson 10:28 AM 07-11-2019
Costco (COST) has quietly had a great year.

In January it started around $200, and is currently at $276.
[Reply]
lewdog 01:19 PM 07-11-2019
Originally Posted by Munson:
Costco (COST) has quietly had a great year.

In January it started around $200, and is currently at $276.
Yup. Was just looking at that recently. Missed another great company stock fucking around looking for the small gold mine.

I’m done doing that shit!
[Reply]
BigRichard 06:29 AM 07-14-2019
Once we have sold our house we will be sitting on a very large sum of money we plan on using for a down payment on our next house. This might happen in a month after we sell it or it could be six months after we sell it. Would you risk investing that for a short time? I hate having that much money just sitting there doing nothing but I also don't want to take the chance of a sudden collapse in the market either and lose a gigantic chunk. I know at one point I had found some index fund or stock or something that had a very small rate of return... like <3% or something like that but only lost like 2% in 2008. It was always going up basically just at a very low rate. I was thinking maybe something like that possibly but still on the fence.

What would you do if you had a huge chunk of change sitting around like that and knew you could need it sometime in the next six months?
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:44 AM 07-14-2019
Originally Posted by BigRichard:
Once we have sold our house we will be sitting on a very large sum of money we plan on using for a down payment on our next house. This might happen in a month after we sell it or it could be six months after we sell it. Would you risk investing that for a short time? I hate having that much money just sitting there doing nothing but I also don't want to take the chance of a sudden collapse in the market either and lose a gigantic chunk. I know at one point I had found some index fund or stock or something that had a very small rate of return... like <3% or something like that but only lost like 2% in 2008. It was always going up basically just at a very low rate. I was thinking maybe something like that possibly but still on the fence.

What would you do if you had a huge chunk of change sitting around like that and knew you could need it sometime in the next six months?
I'd buy a boat.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:19 AM 07-14-2019

I'd probably do an online savings account and call it good. You don't want to mess with risking something going horribly wrong with a big downturn right when you need the money.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:53 AM 07-14-2019

I would not. Most certainly not. Find the highest interest bearing account and roll.

Might have to split it into 2 accounts. IIRC the FDIC limit is 150,000.
[Reply]
lewdog 09:01 AM 07-14-2019

You wouldn’t risk that in the market if you need it that soon.

No penalty CD through ally bank could work.
[Reply]
Great Expectations 09:37 AM 07-14-2019
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I would not. Most certainly not. Find the highest interest bearing account and roll.

Might have to split it into 2 accounts. IIRC the FDIC limit is 150,000.
$250k per social security numbers on the account, POD’s count.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:40 AM 07-14-2019
I agree with the others. Put it into a money market or other guaranteed vehicle. To do otherwise is essentially gambling on events you can't control.
[Reply]
MahiMike 09:42 AM 07-14-2019
Originally Posted by arrowheadnation:
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. I just wanted to make sure he wasn't being taken for a ride by some commission hungry college grad working for Edward Jones. He's reluctant to go the annuity route because he feels some moral/paternal obligation to "leave me something" when he's gone (I'm an only child). I keep telling him not to worry about it because I have a 401k and a pension, but he's old fashioned. I just want him to be able to be comfortable aka pay his bills & have a little left over for recreation/fun/travel/etc.
Tell him to avoid Annuities at all costs. And the guy that suggested that to him? RUN! He'll make more out of the deal than your dad.
[Reply]
MahiMike 09:47 AM 07-14-2019

I was in the same boat and picked these 3 options:

1 - CD
2- https://fundrise.com/
3 - Gold

The fundrise REIT I'd highly recommend. I'm averaging 7.5% on it so far. I'm a landlord and this is the easiest way to make money in real estate I can think of.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:55 AM 07-14-2019
Originally Posted by Great Expectations:
$250k per social security numbers on the account, POD’s count.
Right on. I stand corrected.
[Reply]
eDave 10:01 AM 07-14-2019
Bitcoin will drop to $8Kish. Then you buy.
[Reply]
BigRichard 10:51 AM 07-14-2019
I found a money market account with 2.50% interest. I will look into those.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:10 PM 07-14-2019
I found a money market account with 2.50% interest. I will look into those.
That right there is perfect. Decent rate too.
[Reply]
Page 203 of 934
« First < 103153193199200201202203 204205206207213253303703 > Last »
Up