ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 37
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>In case anyone hadn't decided on the KC Star yet
Rain Man 10:10 AM 07-12-2019
I must state that I support the whole 'metoo' thing to a reasonable (and gender-neutral) extent. There are lots of people out there who abuse power, and the sad truth is that being evil gives people a competitive advantage in reaching powerful positions. So while a lot of powerful people are likely good, I think that evil people are disproportionately represented among those in power, and this is one way to take them down. Bravo for that.

That producer guy in Hollywood is a great example of good results coming out of this mindset. There are other examples of terrible people getting taken down by this movement, and I applaud them. I personally had an experience about ten years ago of witnessing people in power who were absolute monsters, and because they were in positions of power they got away with it. (Financial theft of government funds in one of our suburban counties. Still happening because they control the budget of their local DA and they control the contract of their auditor.) I tried everything to get them exposed and arrested, but they controlled all of the investigative sources.

One challenge, though, is that the movement has become a mushroom hunt now, where amateurs can go out and point fingers. Reporting on a person's social media comments when they were 13 years old is beyond ridiculous. If someone wants to be a real reporter, find the big stories, because the big stories are out there.

The other challenge is that too many people have become extremist, seeing villainy in everyone who doesn't look like them, and are unable to look at the facts. The Tyreek situation is exactly that. Some people drew conclusions based on what they want to see, and they are unwilling to objectively hear new evidence. Combine that with the financial incentives to keep the story going, and you have a problem in the local KC media.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:18 AM 07-12-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:

The other challenge is that too many people have become extremist, seeing villainy in everyone who doesn't look like them, and are unable to look at the facts. The Tyreek situation is exactly that. Some people drew conclusions based on what they want to see, and they are unwilling to objectively hear new evidence. Combine that with the financial incentives to keep the story going, and you have a problem in the local KC media.
Absolutely right - this is easily the biggest issue here.

I've refused to cheer for Hill since we've drafted him. I've acknowledged his progress as a player, but I've never been willing to fully support a guy who plead guilty to abusing his pregnant girlfriend.

But man, if someone can't listen to that tape and hear the exasperation and outright confusion in his voice when all that was going on, I just don't know what they were listening to. I absolutely entered this fully prepared to believe that Hill is a violent sociopath that abused his child just as he abused his girlfriend but I've also been willing to listen/review some of this stuff for what it is. In the process I've come to believe that there's a possibility that ALL of this is bullshit. And it's probably no worse than a 50/50 shot at that.

The major, major problem here with Pryor, TV5 and the rest of these hatchet-men is that they're completely unwilling to do the same. They refuse to consider the possibility that they were wrong so everything they read/hear is just more evidence that they were right in their eyes.

It's crazy.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 10:30 AM 07-12-2019

I rarely do this, but feel it's important to share this from my @TheAthleticKC chat today. Forgive me for the few typos, as I write pretty fast during the hour to answer every question.

We as reporters & media personalities in Kansas City must be better. pic.twitter.com/MfKXGc8Brx

— Nate Taylor (@ByNateTaylor) July 12, 2019

[Reply]
Mecca 10:37 AM 07-12-2019
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:

I like how he can write something that everyone involved in this should be saying yet no one else can, I'm sure that wasn't hard for him to say they all fucked up and have to be better.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:37 AM 07-12-2019
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I like how he can write something that everyone involved in this should be saying yet no one else can, I'm sure that wasn't hard for him to say they all fucked up and have to be better.
And what's so galling is that he was probably the most evenhanded of EVERYONE involved in this.

The guy that has arguably the least to apologize for is the only !@#$ing one willing to do it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:33 AM 07-12-2019
Subscribe to the Athletic, folks.

Nate Taylor's a good egg and a great resource. Spend your $40/yr and stop giving pageviews to these fucking hacks at the Star.

Refusal to spend money on content is how you get pieces of shit like Pryor.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 10:36 AM 07-12-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

Nate Taylor's a good egg and a great resource. Spend your $40/yr and stop giving pageviews to these fucking hacks at the Star.

Full agreement here.

Just an FYI that I'm sure will send people into a tizzy, he's predicting a suspension for Hill in the 4-6 games range, appealed down.
[Reply]
SAUTO 10:37 AM 07-12-2019
Full agreement here.

Just an FYI that I'm sure will send people into a tizzy, he's predicting a suspension for Hill in the 4-6 games range, appealed down.
It's going to end up being 2 imo, and from what I've heard.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:38 AM 07-12-2019
Full agreement here.

I'm sure that is because anyone not in Kansas City still thinks he broke the kids arm and is a violent monster that should never play again. Unfortunately the NFL cares what these people think.
[Reply]
SAUTO 10:39 AM 07-12-2019
I'm sure that is because anyone not in Kansas City still thinks he broke the kids arm and is a violent monster that should never play again. Unfortunately the NFL cares what these people think.
This isn't true.

I don't live in kc and no one I've talked to here thinks he broke his childs arm
[Reply]
Mecca 10:40 AM 07-12-2019
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
This isn't true.

I don't live in kc and no one I've talked to here thinks he broke his childs arm
Where do you live?

Because everything I have seen is casual fans or fans in places like I dunno Seattle don't really know much about this other than what was on ESPN or big time sites which basically just say he's an abusive POS.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 10:40 AM 07-12-2019
Yep. It's all about public perception.

If he's not suspended or given a light one, then people will blow up the league on social media claiming they continue to be soft on DV.
[Reply]
SAUTO 10:38 AM 07-12-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:

Or they could have looked at daface's thread and gotten it for under 15 bucks for the first year on the 4th of July lol
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 10:34 AM 07-12-2019
Jeff Rosen needs to be fired, and the Star has to employ a person who has the situational awareness concerning the demographics they are writing for
[Reply]
FringeNC 11:02 AM 07-12-2019
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Jeff Rosen needs to be fired, and the Star has to employ a person who has the situational awareness concerning the demographics they are writing for
Is too much to ask that the Chiefs beat reporter care more about the NFL than social justice issues? Oh, and also would be helpful if the beat reporter knew a little about football. The current situation is absurd. The idea that people would pay money to get Brooke Pryor's insights on the Chiefs is a joke.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 37
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Up