ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3189 of 3903
« First < 2189268930893139317931853186318731883189 31903191319231933199323932893689 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Rain Man 03:49 PM 11-24-2020
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:
It was mentioned at the beginning of the pandemic that the MMR vaccine may provide some protection from Covid-19 and could be the reason that children don't get sick/as sick as older people. The scientists think it's the mumps part that is doing this and have been studying it.
From the link: "This is the first immunological study to evaluate the relationship between the MMR II vaccine and COVID-19. The statistically significant inverse correlation between mumps titers and COVID-19 indicates that there is a relationship involved that warrants further investigation,"

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-...ne-covid-.html
It seems like it would be hard to evaluate that since most everyone has had MMR. Other than a few crazy people, isn't it pretty much universal?

Well, at least in the USA. I guess I don't know about other countries.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 04:10 PM 11-24-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
It seems like it would be hard to evaluate that since most everyone has had MMR. Other than a few crazy people, isn't it pretty much universal?

Well, at least in the USA. I guess I don't know about other countries.
It is.

Side note: Mumps outbreaks have become increasingly common in the US due to anti-vaxxers and it has caused spillover into the general population, with mumps outbreaks occurring with some regularity on college campuses.
[Reply]
Pants 04:13 PM 11-24-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
It is.

Side note: Mumps outbreaks have become increasingly common in the US due to anti-vaxxers and it has caused spillover into the general population, with mumps outbreaks occurring with some regularity on college campuses.
Aren't the vaccinated individuals protected form those outbreaks? Am I misunderstanding the way vaccines work?
[Reply]
KS Smitty 04:16 PM 11-24-2020
It is.

I thought the same as Rainman. I saw an anecdotal post that sent me looking for an actual paper and that's what I found.

This is the comment that sent me searching for more info:
The MMR vaccine (and specifically the mumps part of the vaccine) seems to be protective against COVID-19. In a recent study, those with the MMR II vaccine (developed by Merck in 1979) fared much better compared to those without the MMRII vaccine (e.g., naturally acquired antibodies, or the old vaccine). This may explain the mystery behind why kids are doing surprisingly well during the pandemic. This theory was introduced in March 2020 after scientists noticed that recent, large-scale MMR vaccination campaigns were associated with countries with the fewest COVID-19 deaths. Randomized control trials are being conducted now to test this preliminary finding more in depth.
[Reply]
TLO 04:18 PM 11-24-2020
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:
I thought the same as Rainman. I saw an anecdotal post that sent me looking for an actual paper and that's what I found.

This is the comment that sent me searching for more info:
The MMR vaccine (and specifically the mumps part of the vaccine) seems to be protective against COVID-19. In a recent study, those with the MMR II vaccine (developed by Merck in 1979) fared much better compared to those without the MMRII vaccine (e.g., naturally acquired antibodies, or the old vaccine). This may explain the mystery behind why kids are doing surprisingly well during the pandemic. This theory was introduced in March 2020 after scientists noticed that recent, large-scale MMR vaccination campaigns were associated with countries with the fewest COVID-19 deaths. Randomized control trials are being conducted now to test this preliminary finding more in depth.
Interesting. I'll be interested to see what they find.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 04:26 PM 11-24-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Aren't the vaccinated individuals protected form those outbreaks? Am I misunderstanding the way vaccines work?
It's a bit complicated. Here's the best explanation I can offer:

If everyone gets a vaccine that is highly efficacious and protection is long-lasting, then the disease has no reservoir and it dies out. This is what happened to smallpox, even though it wasn't 100% effective.

However, let's say that there isn't universal vaccination. The disease has a small reservoir of potential people to infect and it dies out, right? Well, not always, because the antivaxxers are constantly replenishing the pool of the unvaccinated, and with each person it infects, the odds of a mutation that renders the vaccine less effective for the inoculated population increases, and vaccine efficacy can wane over time, which is why we have boosters for certain vaccines like TDaP.

One MMR vaccine is a little under 80% effective in protecting against mumps, two a little under 90%. This would normally be more than enough to protect, but if you have a pool of people that won't get the vaccine, that is enough to cause these small outbreaks amongst the vaccinated-but-still-vulnerable population.

This is why to stamp out COVID we will need near universal vaccination rates. As long as there isn't a mutation in the spike protein the underlying mechanism behind the vaccine should be fairly durable (I'm a bit out over my skis on this one), but boosters will likely be offered and become relatively commonplace, although I'm unsure of their frequency.
[Reply]
Pants 04:28 PM 11-24-2020
It's a bit complicated. Here's the best explanation I can offer:

If everyone gets a vaccine that is highly efficacious and protection is long-lasting, then the disease has no reservoir and it dies out. This is what happened to smallpox, even though it wasn't 100% effective.

However, let's say that there isn't universal vaccination. The disease has a small reservoir of potential people to infect and it dies out, right? Well, not always, because the antivaxxers are constantly replenishing the pool of the unvaccinated, and with each person it infects, the odds of a mutation that renders the vaccine less effective for the inoculated population increases, and vaccine efficacy can wane over time, which is why we have boosters for certain vaccines like TDaP.

One MMR vaccine is a little under 80% effective in protecting against mumps, two a little under 90%. This would normally be more than enough to protect, but if you have a pool of people that won't get the vaccine, that is enough to cause these small outbreaks amongst the vaccinated-but-still-vulnerable population.

This is why to stamp out COVID we will need near universal vaccination rates. As long as there isn't a mutation in the spike protein the underlying mechanism behind the vaccine should be fairly durable (I'm a bit out over my skis on this one), but boosters will likely be offered and become relatively commonplace, although I'm unsure of their frequency.
That totally makes sense. Thanks, man.
[Reply]
TLO 04:28 PM 11-24-2020
I have so many questions about the vaccine distribution process, and am finding so few answers. I know they're talking about shipping out to locations within 24 hours of EUA being granted. Does that mean it's going to be available at my local Walgreens on December 11th to be administered?

The pharmacy we as a provider use (Genoa) has said they will likely be getting the vaccine, but the gentleman I spoke to today said he wasn't sure. Then I'm curious about the verification process to start getting it into healthcare workers arms, etc.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 04:39 PM 11-24-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I have so many questions about the vaccine distribution process, and am finding so few answers. I know they're talking about shipping out to locations within 24 hours of EUA being granted. Does that mean it's going to be available at my local Walgreens on December 11th to be administered?

The pharmacy we as a provider use (Genoa) has said they will likely be getting the vaccine, but the gentleman I spoke to today said he wasn't sure. Then I'm curious about the verification process to start getting it into healthcare workers arms, etc.
"Missouri plans to collaborate with healthcare systems, pharmacies, and community partners to vaccinate long-term care facility staff and other healthcare workers. If the need arises to break this group further down, Missouri plans to start with healthcare staff at long-term care facilities.2 Again, if vaccine supply forces prioritization, the next step is healthcare workers who self-identify recognized CDC established comorbidities for COVID-19, starting with inpatient healthcare workers expanding out to outpatient healthcare workers. These vaccinations will take place in closed
Points of Dispensing (PODS). NOTE: This is still all occurring in Phase 1A."

Page 15:

https://health.mo.gov/living/healthc...9-vax-plan.pdf
[Reply]
TLO 04:45 PM 11-24-2020
"Missouri plans to collaborate with healthcare systems, pharmacies, and community partners to vaccinate long-term care facility staff and other healthcare workers. If the need arises to break this group further down, Missouri plans to start with healthcare staff at long-term care facilities.2 Again, if vaccine supply forces prioritization, the next step is healthcare workers who self-identify recognized CDC established comorbidities for COVID-19, starting with inpatient healthcare workers expanding out to outpatient healthcare workers. These vaccinations will take place in closed
Points of Dispensing (PODS). NOTE: This is still all occurring in Phase 1A."

Page 15:

https://health.mo.gov/living/healthc...9-vax-plan.pdf
:-)

I've skimmed that document a few times but there's a lot of info to take in.
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:51 PM 11-24-2020
I'm assuming (dumb on my part I know) that front line workers have been tested the most and are the most likely to have tested positive given their line of work. Given what we seem to know about antibodies and immunity, is the plan to prioritize front line workers based on known positives or just say fuck it and vaccinate all of them to be on the safe side?

I'm good with whatever, just curious as to the distribution strategy as it applies to people who've tested positive at some point.
[Reply]
TLO 04:55 PM 11-24-2020
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is considering shortening the current coronavirus quarantine timeline from 14 days to between just seven and 10, according to an exclusive Wall Street Journal report.
[Reply]
TLO 04:56 PM 11-24-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I'm assuming (dumb on my part I know) that front line workers have been tested the most and are the most likely to have tested positive given their line of work. Given what we seem to know about antibodies and immunity, is the plan to prioritize front line workers based on known positives or just say **** it and vaccinate all of them to be on the safe side?

I'm good with whatever, just curious as to the distribution strategy as it applies to people who've tested positive at some point.
Those that have tested positive are still encouraged to be vaccinated per the CDC
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 04:57 PM 11-24-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I'm assuming (dumb on my part I know) that front line workers have been tested the most and are the most likely to have tested positive given their line of work. Given what we seem to know about antibodies and immunity, is the plan to prioritize front line workers based on known positives or just say fuck it and vaccinate all of them to be on the safe side?

They likely will not fractionate the population that much unless there ends up being serious issues with distribution and stability, plus we don't yet know enough about long-term immunity to make assumptions about its duration.

My educated guess is that there is a grace period by which individuals must be vaccinated. This will be mandatory to work in healthcare. For example, just to not get kicked out of school I had to provide proof of a flu vaccine by October 31st of every year, and even though I had documented proof of my MMR history, they still required a titer to establish that I had sufficient immunity.
[Reply]
KCUnited 05:11 PM 11-24-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Those that have tested positive are still encouraged to be vaccinated per the CDC
They likely will not fractionate the population that much unless there ends up being serious issues with distribution and stability, plus we don't yet know enough about long-term immunity to make assumptions about its duration.

My educated guess is that there is a grace period by which individuals must be vaccinated. This will be mandatory to work in healthcare. For example, just to not get kicked out of school I had to provide proof of a flu vaccine by October 31st of every year, and even though I had documented proof of my MMR history, they still required a titer to establish that I had sufficient immunity.
Roger that, thanks.
[Reply]
Page 3189 of 3903
« First < 2189268930893139317931853186318731883189 31903191319231933199323932893689 > Last »
Up