ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>IT issues... 2nd internet source suggestions?
Couch-Potato 03:30 PM 04-20-2021
Hello,

I have a problem, I want a second internet source in my apartment for work purposes. My new company monitors your internet traffic so I want to keep work and personal separate, can't have them knowing how much time I spend on CP! lol

Does not sound like a big problem, but its a harder problem than expected. Spectrum owns rights as a provider in my zip code, does not allow multiple router + modem options meaning you can't have 2 internet sources for a single apartment. No major wireless carrier (att, sprint, Verizon) can offer a truly unlimited plan for mifi device (none-phone hot spot box) that would allow me to work from home 5 days a week with multiple hours of video conferences per day. Verizon offers unlimited but only 20g of high speed before crawling to the slowest pace on the market, att only offers 35g then they charge you $10 per 2g above, forget t-mobile.

What to do? How to get reasonable, reliable, unlimited, worry-free, quality 2nd internet?
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 03:32 PM 04-20-2021
How are they monitoring your internet traffic from your home?
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 03:38 PM 04-20-2021
You could try https://www.starlink.com/ , if available and you have the option of adding a dish to the roof of your building. But there may be rules against that. I wanna check out starlink for sure when I get a chance.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 03:38 PM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy:
How are they monitoring your internet traffic from your home?
this isn't actually the problem, I knew what I was getting into when I signed but was hoping to find a way around it.
[Reply]
Bearcat 03:39 PM 04-20-2021
Sounds like you need to separate your company device from your personal device.

You can technically split router traffic per device on some routers and there could be other solutions from a network perspective, but with the info given so far, I doubt that's the way to go.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 03:40 PM 04-20-2021
Would a hardware VPN do it?
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 03:41 PM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Sounds like you need to separate your company device from your personal device.

You can technically split router traffic per device on some routers and there could be other solutions from a network perspective, but with the info given so far, I doubt that's the way to go.
aware that I can use multiple channels on a single router but would feel most comfortable 100% seperate.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 03:43 PM 04-20-2021
Also what city are you in? Maybe there is someone that lives near by that is familiar with smaller companies or point to point or something.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 03:48 PM 04-20-2021
Los Angeles
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 03:59 PM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
this isn't actually the problem, I knew what I was getting into when I signed but was hoping to find a way around it.
What’s the problem then? I don’t understand.
[Reply]
Nirvana58 04:02 PM 04-20-2021
The question is valid on how are they monitoring your internet if you want advice on ways around it.

However, Spectrum does allow multiple routers to be plugged into their modem. Atleast for business accounts they do. Whether technical support admits they do or not. If you sign up for dhcp they usually give you 5 dhcp addresses as part of your contract.

If you put a modem or switch between your routers and modem you can have 2 to 5 routers pull outside ip addresses if you put their modem in bridge mode.
[Reply]
wazu 04:14 PM 04-20-2021
So I'm guessing they are really monitoring traffic on your company-issued laptop. They can't just "monitor" your home internet traffic unless there is some special set-up you have helped arrange for them. If that's the case just get a personal PC.
[Reply]
Fish 04:24 PM 04-20-2021
I don't understand the problem. Why would you need a 2nd internet source? Can't you just use your own personal computer? Or just private browsing? Or just buy your own router and add it and only use the work machine on that? Spectrum can't tell you that you cannot hook up your own additional router.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 04:27 PM 04-20-2021
I don't know how, but had some really serious issues with prev company's invasive practices and would feel most comfortable with 100% separate hardware in the future.

Shocked in today's pandemic, remote work, video conf world there isn't a company advertising an unlimited mifi device w highspeed quality for your home office purposes. I can see the commercial now: visual is a frustrated dad with poor service bc 4 kids and wife online all at home, "what's a guy to do!?... Introducing WAMMO!!! Your private home device, VPN included."
[Reply]
Shag 04:48 PM 04-20-2021
Originally Posted by Couch-Potato:
I don't know how, but had some really serious issues with prev company's invasive practices and would feel most comfortable with 100% separate hardware in the future.

Shocked in today's pandemic, remote work, video conf world there isn't a company advertising an unlimited mifi device w highspeed quality for your home office purposes. I can see the commercial now: visual is a frustrated dad with poor service bc 4 kids and wife online all at home, "what's a guy to do!?... Introducing WAMMO!!! Your private home device, VPN included."
Sounds like you're trying to solve a problem that may not exist. A company would realistically only have two ways to monitor your internet traffic while working remotely - software on the client, or VPN forcing traffic through corporate resources. Both of those solutions are easily subverted by simply using your own computer/laptop.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 6
1 2345 > Last »
Up