ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 10
1 2345 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Todd Haley to be the OC of a high school team
BigRedChief 10:36 PM 02-13-2020
Down in Sarasota Florida. Couldn’t happen to a better example of an asshole on how far you can fall when you piss off everyone around you.

https://www.heraldtribune.com/sports...ve-coordinator

Haley, who has a home in the Sarasota area, was the Kansas City Chiefs head coach from 2009-2011, briefly the Browns offensive coordinator and worked for the Bears, Cowboys and Steelers

The Riverview Rams wasted little time finding a replacement for Jared Clark.

And they got a former NFL head coach to do it.

Todd Haley, who served as the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs from 2009 through 2011, will take over as the Rams offensive coordinator, a position held by Clark before he was hired recently as head coach at Cardinal Mooney High.

The 52-year-old Haley last served as the offensive coordinator in 2018 for the Cleveland Browns. But he was fired after a Week 8 loss to his former team, the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Haley, who has a home in the area and whose daughter attends Out-of-Door Academy, was introduced to Rams head coach Josh Smithers through former Ram TJ Nutter.

“We were talking and he brought him up and I asked him, ‘You think he’d watch some film?’ ” Smithers said. “So he came over to Riverview late in the season and we watched some film.

“At that point we do what we do. We’re not going to change anything.”

After the season, when Clark’s name became linked to the Mooney job, Smithers reached out to Nutter to gauge Haley’s interest in becoming the Rams offensive coordinator.

“I said, ‘Hey, what do you think?’ And he said, ‘I don’t know, give it a shot.’ Once I knew Jared had the job I just reached out to him, ‘Would you like to coach still?’ ”

Haley took some time to discuss the offer with his family before telling Smithers he’d take the job.

“We’re obviously excited that he wanted to join the staff and hoping we can learn a lot of football from him,” Smithers said.

Haley’s father, Dick Haley, was an NFL cornerback for six years and later served as director of player personnel for the New York Jets and Pittsburgh Steelers.

As a youth, Haley was a ball boy for the Steelers and attended Steeler training camps with his dad. He went on to attend the University of Florida and University of Miami and graduated from the University of North Florida in 1991 with a bachelor’s degree in communication.

His first job in coaching was in 1995 as an assistant with the Jets in their scouting department. He then became the Jets wide receivers coach, a job Haley later held with the Bears and Cowboys before becoming offensive coordinator of the Arizona Cardinals in 2007.

Haley has never coached at the high school level. Smithers said he discussed this with him.

“We talked about the high school game being different than the pro game,” he said. “And he was all fired up, just to get out there and coach football again. He understands these are high school kids who go to school all day and you get them for a couple of hours versus people who do it for a job.

“He told me he’s excited just to teach quarterbacks how to read coverages and receivers how to run better routes.

“And I think that’s where he’s going to be able to excel. His ability to understand defensive coverages and have an answer for everything.”

Smithers also pointed out that Haley, who was unavailable for comment, will be part of a program that has a winning culture already established.

“I told him what we’ve done here at Riverview the last five years, it works and we’ve had success with it,” he said. “I said obviously if there are certain route concepts or things that you just have to have in your arsenal, then you have the freedom but we’re not going to all of a sudden create a new offense.

“We’re going to be spread and up tempo. If he can make us go even faster, than will be even better.

“He’s all in.”

But Smithers realizes any coach, even one with NFL pedigree, can only do so much.

“At the end of the day, our kids will be on the field competing and it doesn’t really matter who’s calling it. If we don’t execute, it’s not going to matter.”
[Reply]
staylor26 10:38 PM 02-13-2020
Lol wtf?
[Reply]
TribalElder 10:38 PM 02-13-2020

[Reply]
Frazod 10:44 PM 02-13-2020
I don't hate Haley. He was completely hamstrung by Pioli and Cassel. Dude never had a chance.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 10:49 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I don't hate Haley. He was completely hamstrung by Pioli and Cassel. Dude never had a chance.
This.

I think it's classy that he's going to work with kids at that level. Good for him, good for the kids.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:49 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
He failed in Pittsburgh and Cleveland too.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:50 PM 02-13-2020
At some point, some kid will say to the local newspaper, "This guy played golf. He never played high school football."
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:51 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
It takes a long time to get the Pioli and Cassel cleaned off of you.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 10:51 PM 02-13-2020
How did he fail in Pittsburgh? His offense wasn't the reason they lost in the playoffs in 2017, and that entire team went to shit offensively after he left.

Kind of like how the Chiefs turned into a 2-14 dumpster fire filled with suicide murder AIDS after he left here...
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 10:52 PM 02-13-2020
It sounds like he still wants to coach without all the BS that surrounds an NFL job and most likely doesn't need the money either. Good for him.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 10:52 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
It takes a long time to get the Pioli and Cassel cleaned off of you.
This is true. Piolistink is the kind of stink that won't wash off with soap and water.
[Reply]
Abba-Dabba 10:52 PM 02-13-2020
Good for Haley. Definitely wasn't a step down for either party imo. Hopefully he sticks with it.

I couldn't imagine what it must be like for those kids to start learning what he has in his playbook. Learning from a person that has had success in the NFL for the youngsters should bring in more college scouts for them.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 10:53 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
It sounds like he still wants to coach without all the BS that surrounds an NFL job and most likely doesn't need the money either. Good for him.
Exactly.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:56 PM 02-13-2020
Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat:
And it'll be nice to see what he can do with a stronger quarterback.
[Reply]
Frazod 10:57 PM 02-13-2020
Fair enough. But after Pioli broke him. And both of those organizations were crawling with assholes and idiots.

No way of knowing how things might have shaken out had he not had Hitler for a GM and Barney Fife for a QB.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 10
1 2345 > Last »
Up