ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Media Center>The Umbrella Academy Netflix
Sure-Oz 10:58 AM 02-18-2019
https://youtu.be/0DAmWHxeoKw

Did anyone watch this? I binged it over the weekend and it was pretty good. Reminds me of watchmen kindve and X-Men mixed.

Pretty close adaptation of the crazy comics.
[Reply]
sully1983 09:54 AM 04-23-2019
I liked it enough and hopefully season 2 will be even better. Hazel was probably my fav character.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 12:40 PM 08-03-2020
Season 2 is a metric fuckton better than the 1st
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:51 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Can you expand without spoiling [ie, is that possible].

I binged S1 recently due to the quarantine and the buzz of the new season.

I fall in the decent to meh bin on S1. It wasn't aggressively bad or insulting, and parts of it were visually interesting, but it seemed a rehash of narratives with the hook being weirder personalities and quirkier stakes. Basically I could see the strings of the story and was thereby predisposed to see the glaring plotholes more readily.

Nothing to actively dislike, just middle-brow pyrotechnics you can see in any superhero franchise. So I'm looking to see if S2 does anything to set itself apart.

Part of my assessment scale right now if also that I have all this free time and have taken stock of a lot of 'highly acclaimed' series that were completely off my radar, so it's binge this immediately or move on to things like The Knick, Hannibal, Penny Dreadful, Boardwalk Empire, Ozark, etc. that I've also never seen first. Or even finishing off things like Ray Donovan or Shameless that I dumped mid-series.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 04:40 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Can you expand without spoiling [ie, is that possible].

I binged S1 recently due to the quarantine and the buzz of the new season.

I fall in the decent to meh bin on S1. It wasn't aggressively bad or insulting, and parts of it were visually interesting, but it seemed a rehash of narratives with the hook being weirder personalities and quirkier stakes. Basically I could see the strings of the story and was thereby predisposed to see the glaring plotholes more readily.

Nothing to actively dislike, just middle-brow pyrotechnics you can see in any superhero franchise. So I'm looking to see if S2 does anything to set itself apart.

Part of my assessment scale right now if also that I have all this free time and have taken stock of a lot of 'highly acclaimed' series that were completely off my radar, so it's binge this immediately or move on to things like The Knick, Hannibal, Penny Dreadful, Boardwalk Empire, Ozark, etc. that I've also never seen first. Or even finishing off things like Ray Donovan or Shameless that I dumped mid-series.

There was only one real facepalm episode where they had the characters party in a beauty salon as if they were John Hughes' Breakfast Club

It deals with JFK Alt assassination scenarios since they time traveled to early 60's Dallas Texas.

UA Seas
on 2 has better pacing in comparison to season one.
[Reply]
007 11:26 AM 08-04-2020

Completely agree
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:30 AM 08-04-2020
I watched the first two and a half episodes of Season 1 last night and wow, it was tough sledding. I understand that some time is needed for character development but it feels like this is moving at a snail's pace. The actors are "okay" but so far, they just haven't been given very much to do.

The finale for this season also feels very predictable.
[Reply]
listopencil 12:51 PM 08-04-2020
I started season 2 and I am having a hard time even getting through the first episode. It's better than last season but the cookie cutter nature of the show is just turning me off. Maybe for a younger audience that hasn't seen these same characters/plots/situations used so much before that they've become cliche it's all right. It's just a collection of tropes to me though. I was surprised to see it get a second season and I'll at least slog through that first episode to try to give it a chance.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:16 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by listopencil:
It's just a collection of tropes to me though
Agreed.

After binging The Boys last week, I was expecting UA to unique and creative as well but so far, it's not.

This show feels to me like a show that I *should* watch because it's so popular but if it wasn't, I wouldn't even bother to continue watching.
[Reply]
vailpass 12:28 PM 08-08-2020
You guys are more demanding than I am by a long shot. I enjoyed season 2, it's the kind of light-hearted viewing I like. They kept the sjw stuff to a minimum and focused on making it entertaining. 5 is my favorite character. I wish they had anybody but Ellen Page in that role, and the girl who plays Lila is really good in the role though not all that easy on the eyes. The guy who plays the dad is also good.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:34 PM 08-08-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
You guys are more demanding than I am by a long shot. I enjoyed season 2, it's the kind of light-hearted viewing I like. They kept the sjw stuff to a minimum and focused on making it entertaining. 5 is my favorite character. I wish they had anybody but Ellen Page in that role, and the girl who plays Lila is really good in the role though not all that easy on the eyes. The guy who plays the dad is also good.
I don't see it as "light-hearted" at all. IMO, it's way too heavy-handed and there's not enough, if any, humor.

Of course, the biggest issue with this series is that it's based on a comic from nearly 14 years ago and since then, comic book movies, both amazing and amazingly bad, have been released as TV series and feature films, so there's nothing really original about it, whatsoever.

Also, the "twists" just aren't that cool. I knew from the second episode that Ellen Page's character

Spoiler!

So, when it happened, it was like "Meh". I also don't really care for the format nor the "slow reveal" of each character's powers, which is weird because apparently, the first comic was like 8 pages long, so why does it take 10 hours before we have an idea of everyone's special gifts?

Finally, and this is a real stickler to me and probably not many others, but the music is absolutely horrible. There's no Main Theme to the music and unlike well written and well produced Super Hero movies (or movies in general), the music doesn't signify much of anything for each character whereas in great Comic Book films, each character has their own Theme or even a short Motif, which identifies the character for each scene.

I'm about halfway through Season 2 and I'll finish it, if for no other reason than having a "talking point" but it's nowhere in the same league as The Boys.

I'm also absolutely certain that it'll pale in comparison to the upcoming Marvel series' on Disney+.
[Reply]
keg in kc 08:44 AM 08-09-2020
Maybe I've just reached a stage in my dotage that makes me softer, but, for me, not everything I watch has to be "great!". I feel like it's fine sometimes to just turn my brain off and enjoy some popcorn TV. Like this or The Order or Warrior Nun or Locke and Key or Lucifer or a hundred other things on Netflix.
[Reply]
penchief 10:12 AM 08-09-2020
Season 2 is a metric ****ton better than the 1st
Totally agree. Season one kept my interest. Season two was thoroughly enjoyable. Loved the story line and loved the character development.

Other than Vonya, all of the characters were way more interesting. I wasn't a big fan of Luther in season one but he became one of my favorites in season two. Allison is great but all of the male characters are home runs.

Side note: It took me a while to figure out who Elliot was because the character was so different from where I recognized him. He was the right hand man in Mikes crew (Todd's uncle) on Breaking Bad.
[Reply]
penchief 10:13 AM 08-09-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I watched the first two and a half episodes of Season 1 last night and wow, it was tough sledding. I understand that some time is needed for character development but it feels like this is moving at a snail's pace. The actors are "okay" but so far, they just haven't been given very much to do.

The finale for this season also feels very predictable.
Try to get through season one. I think you'll find season two more rewarding.

Edit: I see you are already watching season two and not liking it any more than season one. I agree with your assessment of season one but did find season two a good watch. I suspect I am a little more easily amused.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:22 AM 08-09-2020
Just started it.

I cannot state strongly enough how much I dislike Ellen Page. I would like this show substantially more if there was literally any other person on earth playing her role.
[Reply]
penchief 10:32 AM 08-09-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Just started it.

I cannot state strongly enough how much I dislike Ellen Page. I would like this show substantially more if there was literally any other person on earth playing her role.
I agree. At times it works but most of the time it doesn't. Kristen Stewart would have been a better choice for sulky lesbian character.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 7
< 123 4567 >
Up