ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 217 of 341
« First < 117167207213214215216217 218219220221227267317 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2
HonestChieffan 11:58 AM 01-23-2011
Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?
[Reply]
Randallflagg 10:32 PM 08-03-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
I bet the Colonel will be in touch with his CO now that it’s viral

:-)
[Reply]
Munson 07:48 AM 08-04-2020

[Reply]
Randallflagg 02:55 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by Munson:

:-)
[Reply]
OKchiefs 05:07 PM 08-04-2020
Need some advice. Just recently purchased my first handgun, a Smith & Wesson M&P M2.0 9mm. I love it, now looking at getting a rifle.

I've first considered getting a .308 bolt action. The Howa hogue gameking 308 has caught my eye as a budget friendly rifle that comes with a scope at just over $500.

However, with everything going on and the election coming up I'm wondering if I should jump at the chance to get an ar-15 sooner than later. I'm seeing the m&p15 sport II for $799 online. Seems to be a Covid premium right now, not sure if or when it'll go down.

So, bolt action or semi-auto for my first rifle?
[Reply]
Randallflagg 05:50 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Need some advice. Just recently purchased my first handgun, a Smith & Wesson M&P M2.0 9mm. I love it, now looking at getting a rifle.

I've first considered getting a .308 bolt action. The Howa hogue gameking 308 has caught my eye as a budget friendly rifle that comes with a scope at just over $500.

However, with everything going on and the election coming up I'm wondering if I should jump at the chance to get an ar-15 sooner than later. I'm seeing the m&p15 sport II for $799 online. Seems to be a Covid premium right now, not sure if or when it'll go down.

That's strictly up to you. Frankly, if you can find a range that rents rifles and pistols, it might give you a better insight as to which you might like.

Just a thought - have you considered an AR-10? They are a tad more expensive, but, in my opinion, they are sort of the "best" of both worlds....

Good luck in your search!!
[Reply]
Frazod 05:52 PM 08-04-2020

Depends on what you want it for. If you're just hunting, a bolt-action is fine, I guess. Personally I despise bolt action rifles, and if I was getting a rifle strictly for hunting, it would be a lever action; but that's just me.

However, if you are looking for a defensive rifle, or one you could use for hunting or defense, you should probably go the AR route, or a similar semi-auto magazine fed platform. I wouldn't want to be fumbling around with a bolt action while someone was trying to kill me. It's not 1918 anymore.
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:06 PM 08-04-2020

As Frazod said, we really need to know what you intend to use the rifle for to give you a focused response.

However, the AR-15 has matured over the last ten or so years, and with the right ammunition it can be used for anything from HD, ranch/truck gun, plinker, precision shooting, varmint hunting, shooting sports, and small/medium game hunting. A typical bolt gun isn't as versatile.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 06:20 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
As Frazod said, we really need to know what you intend to use the rifle for to give you a focused response.

However, the AR-15 has matured over the last ten or so years, and with the right ammunition it can be used for anything from HD, ranch/truck gun, plinker, precision shooting, varmint hunting, shooting sports, and small/medium game hunting. A typical bolt gun isn't as versatile.
I'm not even sure I know what I want it for. I've never hunted, but I'd like to have the option eventually which is why I'm considering something in a 308.

I do like the AR platform, but I'd consider other semi auto options as well. I've shot a mini 14 before and like them, but the price tag seems to be a bit much compared to the budget ar-15 models.

It'd probably be an easier decision if the ar's I've seen were around $600-700 like they were pre-Covid.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 06:23 PM 08-04-2020
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
That's strictly up to you. Frankly, if you can find a range that rents rifles and pistols, it might give you a better insight as to which you might like.

Just a thought - have you considered an AR-10? They are a tad more expensive, but, in my opinion, they are sort of the "best" of both worlds....

Good luck in your search!!
Yeah I have looked at the ar-10, pretty sweet looking guns if I could find one in a decent price range. Would be nice to have the larger caliber along with the versatility of a semi-auto.

I've seen some Browning BAR online, I believe in a 308? Seem to be decent options based on reviews.
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:27 PM 08-04-2020
I'm not even sure I know what I want it for. I've never hunted, but I'd like to have the option eventually which is why I'm considering something in a 308.

I do like the AR platform, but I'd consider other semi auto options as well. I've shot a mini 14 before and like them, but the price tag seems to be a bit much compared to the budget ar-15 models.

It'd probably be an easier decision if the ar's I've seen were around $600-700 like they were pre-Covid.
Well, if you're just looking to buy a rifle for the sake of having a rifle, it's hard to beat anything chambered in .308 winchester. They make a round for any situation you can possibly imagine, s well as a few that you've probably never considered. I like Savages for the most part; they just epitomize what a working gun is supposed to be. Rugged, reliable, accurate out of the box, easy to maintain or modify . . .

But if you like Howas (good rifle as well) then have at it.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:28 PM 08-04-2020
My .308 is a Springfield M1A SOCOM. They are pricey - $1300-$1400 range - but awesome.

Admittedly, you'd be better off getting an AR10. I'd have been better off getting an AR10. But I like the old school feel of the classic Garand design; the M1A, the semi-auto version of the military M14, is basically a Garand that takes a magazine.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 06:50 PM 08-04-2020
Well, if you're just looking to buy a rifle for the sake of having a rifle, it's hard to beat anything chambered in .308 winchester. They make a round for any situation you can possibly imagine, s well as a few that you've probably never considered. I like Savages for the most part; they just epitomize what a working gun is supposed to be. Rugged, reliable, accurate out of the box, easy to maintain or modify . . .

But if you like Howas (good rifle as well) then have at it.
I've also considered the Savage, any particular models you'd recommend? I've considered the axis as a super budget friendly option, reviews seem to be mostly positive.
[Reply]
Megatron96 07:05 PM 08-04-2020
I've also considered the Savage, any particular models you'd recommend? I've considered the axis as a super budget friendly option, reviews seem to be mostly positive.
Never owned an Axis. Heard good things mostly.

I've always bought Savage Model 10s or 110s. Model 10 is the short-action; the bolt stroke is shorter, so equals faster. Judging from their website, they don't appear to make the Model 10 anymore, but there's probably hundreds of them for sale on Gunbroker, I'm sure.

The other Savage bolt I've been interested in is the 110 Scout. A buddy of mine has one, and it's a nice carbine. Wouldn't be the best for long-range shooting, but out to 400-450 yards it's probably good enough for most shooters.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 08:52 PM 08-04-2020

Starting with an AR15 is quite the step, but given the realities you (we) might be facing if liberals take over, it might be wise to get it while you can.

That being said, .308 is a wonderful round.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 09:43 PM 08-04-2020
Never owned an Axis. Heard good things mostly.

I've always bought Savage Model 10s or 110s. Model 10 is the short-action; the bolt stroke is shorter, so equals faster. Judging from their website, they don't appear to make the Model 10 anymore, but there's probably hundreds of them for sale on Gunbroker, I'm sure.

The other Savage bolt I've been interested in is the 110 Scout. A buddy of mine has one, and it's a nice carbine. Wouldn't be the best for long-range shooting, but out to 400-450 yards it's probably good enough for most shooters.
I am intrigued by the scout, along with the Mossberg MVP scout. Scout rifles seem like a nice do it all/jack of all trades bolt action.
[Reply]
Page 217 of 341
« First < 117167207213214215216217 218219220221227267317 > Last »
Up