ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1014 of 2687
« First < 14514914964100410101011101210131014 101510161017101810241064111415142014 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Patrick Mahomes Thread*****
Dante84 07:19 PM 04-27-2017
IT ****ING HAPPENED

OP UPDATE:

Because of all the interest in this thread, I've place all of the video content of Patrick Mahomes II's college career, and draft day goodness into a single post that can be found here. Enjoy!
[Reply]
Simply Red 07:21 PM 09-18-2018
I knew 2PM would draw a buttload of attention from the media this week.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 07:22 PM 09-18-2018
Originally Posted by DaKernal:
Something else I thought about, is that teams are going to start running the piss out of the ball to try to keep our offense off the field. Our run defense looks pretty stout so far, so we should be able to force enough short drives to give Patty and co. enough opportunities to put up enough pts.
That's what the Steelers always used to do to us with Bell and it worked. As bad as our offense has been in the past against the Steelers our run D was just as bad. IMO our offense could never get into a rhyme against them partly because of a lack of opportunity.

Our run D hasn't looked that bad but keep in mind Steelers didn't have Bell against us. Granted we were scoring so quickly I don't think it would have mattered but you never know. Not every team has a Bell thankfully, he's a very unique runner and his style seems to give our defense fits but our run D is something to watch in these upcoming weeks. The jury is still out on it. They haven't really been challenged yet.

If we are going to be a team that is going to do damage in the playoffs we have to be able to stop the run or at least contain it. Our pass D is not good enough for us to be able to have a bad run D and still make noise in the playoffs. If our pass D is going to be bad or below average I at least want to see us shut down the other teams running game so we can give our offense more opportunities to score.
[Reply]
FAX 07:29 PM 09-18-2018
Something else I thought about, is that teams are going to start running the piss out of the ball to try to keep our offense off the field. Our run defense looks pretty stout so far, so we should be able to force enough short drives to give Patty and co. enough opportunities to put up enough pts.
I'd like to believe that right there was Veach's master plan.

You know, bring in Sammy Cherry to put on top of the Chiefs O Sundae. That makes the offense essentially unstoppable.

Then, you beef up the run defense because the only hope the enemy has is to run the ball, dominate TOP, and try to keep the score low.

I'm not sure if Veach did exactly that for exactly those reasons, but it's nice to imagine that he has that kind of innate strategery.

FAX
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:33 PM 09-18-2018
MEMES!!!

[Reply]
DRM08 07:34 PM 09-18-2018
Pretty funny that so many pre-Draft naysayers said Mahomes would be screwed because of the Air Raid college offense and yet it looks like Andy Reid is incorporating a lot of that stuff into a very effective pro version of the Air Raid. Seems like 90% of the snaps are shotgun and a huge chunk of the plays are 5-wide. Crazy to see how the NFL has changed over the last 10-20 years.
[Reply]
FAX 07:35 PM 09-18-2018
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
That was awesome thank you for sharing it. I think I will start following Simms because he seems smart. :-)
Yeah ... Simms gets it (they both do, actually). As I remember it, Mahomes was Simms' pick in the draft. Above Trablindski, Wishkins, everybody.

Simms understands that "big arm" doesn't just mean "long passes". He knows that velocity affects every aspect of an offense, from screens to flairs, to 10-yard outs, to the run game. He also seems to understand the unique dynamic at work here between Wally's brain and Mahomes' talent.

If Wally can teach Mahomes how to play NFL Quarterback (which he appears to be doing), it will allow the natural talent to explode (which it appears to be doing).

FAX
[Reply]
DaKernal 07:36 PM 09-18-2018
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
That's what the Steelers always used to do to us with Bell and it worked. As bad as our offense has been in the past against the Steelers our run D was just as bad. IMO our offense could never get into a rhyme against them partly because of a lack of opportunity.

Our run D hasn't looked that bad but keep in mind Steelers didn't have Bell against us. Granted we were scoring so quickly I don't think it would have mattered but you never know. Not every team has a Bell thankfully, he's a very unique runner and his style seems to give our defense fits but our run D is something to watch in these upcoming weeks. The jury is still out on it. They haven't really been challenged yet.

If we are going to be a team that is going to do damage in the playoffs we have to be able to stop the run or at least contain it. Our pass D is not good enough for us to be able to have a bad run D and still make noise in the playoffs. If our pass D is going to be bad or below average I at least want to see us shut down the other teams running game so we can give our offense more opportunities to score.
Agreed. However, even if they are able to run on us some, just give us enough possessions to put up a few TDs and put the pressure on the opposing offense to keep up, and they'll eventually start to press and abandon the run. Let them pass all they want. There isn't an offense in the league that'll be able to keep up. Just like Peyton back in the day, no one will be able to go toe to toe with Patrick.

Pitt has been the most explosive offense in the AFC the past several years, I know they didn't have Bell, but you saw Ben trying to press to get back at us in the 2nd half. He couldn't do it.
[Reply]
bsroyals54 07:38 PM 09-18-2018
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
MEMES!!!

:-)
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 07:41 PM 09-18-2018
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Pretty funny that so many pre-Draft naysayers said Mahomes would be screwed because of the Air Raid college offense and yet it looks like Andy Reid is incorporating a lot of that stuff into a very effective pro version of the Air Raid. Seems like 90% of the snaps are shotgun and a huge chunk of the plays are 5-wide. Crazy to see how the NFL has changed over the last 10-20 years.
KC ran a total of 23 plays from 5 wide I think.

When you have this kind of speed on offense, why not?

Andy loves incorporating college stuff. He understands that college is usually 5-7 years ahead of the NFL in terms of concepts and innovation.
[Reply]
DaKernal 07:47 PM 09-18-2018
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
KC ran a total of 23 plays from 5 wide I think.

When you have this kind of speed on offense, why not?

Andy loves incorporating college stuff. He understands that college is usually 5-7 years ahead of the NFL in terms of concepts and innovation.
The days of coaches forcing QBs to learn "thier" system are gone for the most part. The smart coaches adjust and taylor thier offense to meet thier QBs strengths. I believe its why we see more QBs having early success these days.
[Reply]
DaKernal 07:57 PM 09-18-2018
Originally Posted by FAX:
I liked this conversation between Simms and Lefkoe. They spend a good amount of time on Mahomes and Tyreek and discuss whether the Chiefs O or the Jags D is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_RJCaLWlhg

The Chiefs talk begins around 49:00 ... and lasts awhile.

FAX
That was fantastic. Stephen A. and that douche Skip Bayless should listen, and learn something about elite QB play.
[Reply]
FAX 08:01 PM 09-18-2018
The days of coaches forcing QBs to learn "thier" system are gone for the most part. The smart coaches adjust and taylor thier offense to meet thier QBs strengths. I believe its why we see more QBs having early success these days.
Times change ...

Before the rules were modified so heavily in favor of the offense, rushing was vitally important to success. It was "smash mouth" ball. That's part of it. QBs didn't pass as much. Passing offenses weren't as sophisticated ... either in college or the pros.

But here's the thing I've never understood ...

Who goes to the market to buy brussels sprouts when they're making beef stroganoff? Nobody, that's who. Yet NFL dudes put these brussels sprouts QBs in these stroganoff offenses and expect them to succeed. It's madness and causes stomach upset.

Wally makes Cheese And Brussels Sprouts Soup with his brussels sprouts and Honey Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts Appetizers and Parmesan Garlic Brussels Sprouts with Filet Mignon.

Wally is cooking.

FAX
[Reply]
DaKernal 08:12 PM 09-18-2018
Times change ...

Before the rules were modified so heavily in favor of the offense, rushing was vitally important to success. It was "smash mouth" ball. That's part of it. QBs didn't pass as much. Passing offenses weren't as sophisticated ... either in college or the pros.

But here's the thing I've never understood ...

Who goes to the market to buy brussels sprouts when they're making beef stroganoff? Nobody, that's who. Yet NFL dudes put these brussels sprouts QBs in these stroganoff offenses and expect them to succeed. It's madness and causes stomach upset.

Wally makes Cheese And Brussels Sprouts Soup with his brussels sprouts and Honey Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts Appetizers and Parmesan Garlic Brussels Sprouts with Filet Mignon.

Wally is cooking.

FAX
When you put it that way, Wally is a master chef.
[Reply]
Pants 08:21 PM 09-18-2018

[Reply]
Pants 08:21 PM 09-18-2018
Yeah ... Simms gets it (they both do, actually). As I remember it, Mahomes was Simms' pick in the draft. Above Trablindski, Wishkins, everybody.

Simms understands that "big arm" doesn't just mean "long passes". He knows that velocity affects every aspect of an offense, from screens to flairs, to 10-yard outs, to the run game. He also seems to understand the unique dynamic at work here between Wally's brain and Mahomes' talent.

If Wally can teach Mahomes how to play NFL Quarterback (which he appears to be doing), it will allow the natural talent to explode (which it appears to be doing).

FAX
"Wishkins" :-):-)
[Reply]
Page 1014 of 2687
« First < 14514914964100410101011101210131014 101510161017101810241064111415142014 > Last »
Up