ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 3903
« First < 678910 1112131420601105101010 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TinyEvel 10:10 AM 02-29-2020
Next case will be in Seattle. Our friend up there, a kid i their high school has it.
[Reply]
TinyEvel 10:14 AM 02-29-2020
Originally Posted by wazu:
If the stock market is tanking over this hysteria then now would be a great time to buy.
Yeah the hysteria isn't the death rate its the effect of the fear of the deaths -- the quarantine and stay home rules that will shut down businesses and economies. Travel, hospitality, manufacturing, etc. etc. Could be a ripple effect for a while.

I think the market will stay low as reports of massive increases in cases in the US spook everyone. Wait it out a week or two then get back in. But I know nothing.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 10:31 AM 02-29-2020
Let's assume for a minute that China has vastly under-reported number of infections. Let's assume a million people in china got this. So we're talking about roughly .07% of their population that got this thing. And reports of new cases are slowing down. If the stock market is tanking over this hysteria then now would be a great time to buy.
No one can time the market but I took out a big chunk on the theory that if the market is going to freak out over 500 cases in northern Italy, what is it going to do when there are 500 cases in Manhattan. If the incubation period can be two weeks and you can spread it asymptomatically then this thing is out and its going to be everywhere soon. I doubt the mortality rate is as high as they say given the fact that they don’t have clear numbers on who is infected, but the news and the threat of news is going to keep the markets depressed until something happens to give investors hope that new negative news won’t fall out of the blue. That’s my $.02 and I certainly could be wrong.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:33 AM 02-29-2020

The U.S. surgeon general on Saturday urged the public to stop buying masks, warning that it won’t help against the spread of the coronavirus but will take away important resources from health care professionals https://t.co/HqImnlCfSV

— The New York Times (@nytimes) February 29, 2020

[Reply]
BWillie 11:36 AM 02-29-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
This is complete bullshit and I don't know why they keep saying this. A SURGICAL mask will not protect you but a N95 mask absolutely will. Its not fail proof but you get ten times the protection you get from a surgical mask against droplets.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 11:48 AM 02-29-2020
Originally Posted by penguinz:
Not true. SARS and MERS were types of coronavirus.
I didn't mean to say that humans had never been infected by a coronavirus. But this strain is new. After you get a particular strain of the flu you will have some immunity to similar strains. So the world could be starting out with zero immunity.

A given strain of the flu won't infect half the population in the course of a year or two. But in a plausible bad case scenario this coronavirus could.
[Reply]
Donger 11:49 AM 02-29-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
This is complete bullshit and I don't know why they keep saying this. A SURGICAL mask will not protect you but a N95 mask absolutely will. Its not fail proof but you get ten times the protection you get from a surgical mask against droplets.
I presume that he's referring to people buying N95 masks.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 11:54 AM 02-29-2020
Let's assume for a minute that China has vastly under-reported number of infections. Let's assume a million people in china got this. So we're talking about roughly .07% of their population that got this thing. And reports of new cases are slowing down. If the stock market is tanking over this hysteria then now would be a great time to buy.
True. But a lot of people in China got it while the country had draconian quarantine measures in place. If the disease gets a foothold in other countries you either take a huge hit from the quarantine itself. Or you let the disease run rampant and take a hit from that.

SARS and MERS were stamped out between quarantines and not being that infectious. But if a disease is infectious enough you can't get it stamped out everywhere. And modern economies can't permanently close their borders.

If the fatality rate is low enough draconian quarantines might do a lot of damage without doing that much good. It could be letting the disease run its course and caring for the sick is a better approach.
[Reply]
Fat Elvis 12:33 PM 02-29-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
True. But a lot of people in China got it while the country had draconian quarantine measures in place. If the disease gets a foothold in other countries you either take a huge hit from the quarantine itself. Or you let the disease run rampant and take a hit from that.

SARS and MERS were stamped out between quarantines and not being that infectious. But if a disease is infectious enough you can't get it stamped out everywhere. And modern economies can't permanently close their borders.

If the fatality rate is low enough draconian quarantines might do a lot of damage without doing that much good. It could be letting the disease run its course and caring for the sick is a better approach.
The Chinese government built two hospitals in the span of a few days each...the first hospital was started when the number of infections and deaths were still really pretty low. They also essentially quarantined an entire city of 11 Million people. Chinese officials had some idea what they had on their hands.
[Reply]
SupDock 01:04 PM 02-29-2020
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis:
The Chinese government built two hospitals in the span of a few days each...the first hospital was started when the number of infections and deaths were still really pretty low. They also essentially quarantined an entire city of 11 Million people. Chinese officials had some idea what they had on their hands.
I think China deserves a little credit as well. The rest of the world had a little time to think and prepare. China just had to react
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02-29-2020, 01:49 PM
This message has been deleted by BigRedChief. Reason: Dupe
BigRedChief 01:51 PM 02-29-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
I presume that he's referring to people buying N95 masks.
I’m assuming that too. Health care professionals know those stupid paper marks are to protect others from you. Which they don’t really but that’s another conversation for another time. They don’t stop anything close to 100%.

Every hospital, health care worker is using the n95 type of mask to limit exposure from patients. If millions rush to CVS/Amazon etc. to get a n95 mask and there are no new supplies getting out of China. That can be a serious problem for health care workers.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 02:05 PM 02-29-2020
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis:

Can you imagine quarantining NYC?
[Reply]
Mennonite 02:09 PM 02-29-2020
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Can you imagine quarantining NYC?

I say we give it a shot.
[Reply]
TribalElder 02:23 PM 02-29-2020
first us death happened in seattle
https://www.npr.org/2020/02/29/81072...ronavirus-dies
[Reply]
Nickhead 02:25 PM 02-29-2020
what's a mask gonna do if someone infected sneezes and your eyes aren't covered? :-)
[Reply]
Page 10 of 3903
« First < 678910 1112131420601105101010 > Last »
Up