Nzoner's Game Room>RIP Prince
siberian khatru 10:57 AM 04-21-2016
http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/21/prince-dead-at-57/

Updated link: http://www.news-journalonline.com/ar...nce-dead-at-57
[Reply]
DaFace 04:20 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by vailpass:
27? What are those 27 instruments?
A quick google says that he was basically the only musician on most of his albums, and the 27 number comes from the liner notes of "For You" which featured 27 instruments at some point on the album.

The small caveat is that the instruments were all strings, percussion, and keyboards, so it's really four core skillsets (including singing) and a huge number of variations.

Don't get me wrong - playing the guitar and playing the bass are very different, as are playing piano and playing the organ. And even then, there are very few people in the world who can play even the basic versions of all of those as well as he could.
[Reply]
jd1020 04:21 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...pisrc=nl_popns
Everyone still remembers where they were when they first saw this

RIP Prince.
[Reply]
Al Bundy 04:26 PM 04-21-2016
http://tvpot.daum.net/clip/ClipView....1940143&rtes=y
I think this might be the first time this song was played for anyone?
[Reply]
ClevelandBronco 04:26 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Everyone knows Wendy & Lisa.
Originally Posted by Toby Waller:
Define everyone.
I had to look them up. Crossing Jordan (never saw it), Bionic Woman (never saw it), Carnivāle (never saw it), Heroes (never saw it), Mercy (never heard of it), Nurse Jackie (never saw it). They've done some films as well, but I haven't seen those either.

Maybe everyone minus one.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:28 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by DaFace:
A quick google says that he was basically the only musician on most of his albums, and the 27 number comes from the liner notes of "For You" which featured 27 instruments at some point on the album.

The small caveat is that the instruments were all strings, percussion, and keyboards, so it's really four core skillsets (including singing) and a huge number of variations.

Don't get me wrong - playing the guitar and playing the bass are very different, as are playing piano and playing the organ. And even then, there are very few people in the world who can play even the basic versions of all of those as well as he could.
While Prince was an excellent musician, his true gift was as a songwriter and producer.

He wrote hit songs for so many artists and was the consummate professional.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:28 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco:
I had to look them up. Crossing Jordan (never saw it), Bionic Woman (never saw it), Carnivāle (never saw it), Heroes (never saw it), Mercy (never heard of it), Nurse Jackie (never saw it). They've done some films as well, but I haven't seen those either.

Maybe everyone minus one.
:-)
[Reply]
Al Bundy 04:33 PM 04-21-2016

Howard Stern, "Do you think Prince is a better musician than you?"

Dave Grohl, "Dude, Prince is a better DRUMMER than I am."#Prince

— David Hayter (@DavidBHayter) April 21, 2016

[Reply]
vailpass 04:47 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by DaFace:

I saw him live only once, when he was the symbol. Dude played a lot of different instruments, don't know how many but he jammed. 27 just sounds like a lot but yeah, they are probably variants on the same thing in some cases...
[Reply]
cosmo20002 04:49 PM 04-21-2016

Guy was an amazing performer. Saw him in concert 3 times.
Only complaint about his shows were that he didn't seem to like playing some of his big hits--he'd either skip them or do medleys. And sometimes he'd disappear and let his sax or horn guy noodle on for 10 minutes. On the other hand, he would also throw in some completely unexpected blues and funk covers and just tear them up.

A weird dude, awesome musician.
[Reply]
Toby Waller 04:52 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:

Guy was an amazing performer. Saw him in concert 3 times.
Only complaint about his shows were that he didn't seem to like playing some of his big hits--he'd either skip them or do medleys. And sometimes he'd disappear and let his sax or horn guy noodle on for 10 minutes. On the other hand, he would also throw in some completely unexpected blues and funk covers and just tear them up.

A weird dude, awesome musician.
he didnt do his real sexy overtoned stuff later because of being a jehovah witness.

I didnt know he was epileptic.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:53 PM 04-21-2016
I saw him live only once, when he was the symbol. Dude played a lot of different instruments, don't know how many but he jammed. 27 just sounds like a lot but yeah, they are probably variants on the same thing in some cases...
If you can play piano proficiently, picking up and playing other instruments become infinitely more easy.

Film composer Brian Tyler (who's one of my favorite composers working today) plays more than 31 instruments.

">
[Reply]
vailpass 04:58 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
If you can play piano proficiently, picking up and playing other instruments become infinitely more easy.

Film composer Brian Tyler (who's one of my favorite composers working today) plays more than 31 instruments.

">
Really? Did not know that. Wonder why?
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:02 PM 04-21-2016
Heres the story of his all timer half time show, as told by the producers... with plenty of live music thrown in

It is, was, and will remain the best Super Bowl show of all time (embedding disabled)... worth the click

https://youtu.be/7NN3gsSf-Ys
[Reply]
cosmo20002 05:04 PM 04-21-2016
Originally Posted by Toby Waller:
he didnt do his real sexy overtoned stuff later because of being a jehovah witness.
Yeah, I've heard that reasoning. But he still played some 'sexy' stuff.
I do remember him playing the opening of Darling Nicki...crowd goes nuts...he does the first line, then stops before 'masturbating' and goes on to another song.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:04 PM 04-21-2016
Really? Did not know that. Wonder why?
Because with piano, the notes are laid out right in front of your fingers. C to C, which is referred to as an Octave (8 notes). There are 4 Half Tones, which are the black keys.

So once your brain has become accustomed to music theory via piano, picking up other instruments is easy because one already understands the relationship between the notes, also known as Music Theory.

At that point, it's just physical manifestation of the instrument.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 34
« First < 678910 1112131420 > Last »
Up