ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 58 of 70
« First < 8485455565758 5960616268 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek Picard
Frazod 11:27 AM 06-20-2018
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-...in-development

Star Trek: The Next Generation Reboot With Patrick Stewart Reportedly in Development

Rumors of the Picard-centric reboot come amid Alex Kurtzman extending his CBS contract for a planned expansion of the Star Trek TV universe.

According to a THR article, there are unconfirmed rumors that CBS TV Studios is developing a Star Trek reboot starring Patrick Stewart in which he would reprise his The Next Generation role as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. According to THR's sources, Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman are attached to the potential reboot. Not only is this an unconfirmed project, but THR's sources also say that the deal is far from complete and might not happen. Still, this would be huge news for Star Trek fandom—however you might feel about a Picard-centric reboot.

The rumors of the Picard reboot come amidst Kurtzman renewing his overall deal with CBS Television Studios, extending his contract by five years. This will keep him in partnership with the studio through 2023, for a reported $5 million per year.

Kurtzman was recently made sole showrunner of Star Trek: Discovery following the dismissal of previous co-showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg who left amidst reports of bullying behavior in the writers room. Goldsman, who served as an executive producer on Season 1 of Discovery, also left the show, reportedly due to a clash with the writing staff in terms of management style and personality, so it's interesting that he is still attached to the potential Picard-centric reboot.

In addition to his work on Star Trek: Discovery, Kurtzman's extended deal with CBS Television Studios will include an expansion of the Star Trek franchise on the small screen, including the development of new series, miniseries, and other content, including animation.

While this generally seems like good news for the Star Trek universe, it may also be disappointing, depending on what kind of Star Trek fan you are. While the move represents a reinvestment in the Star Trek TV universe, Kurtzman is not known for critical success. Previously, he has co-written the scripts for Transformers, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. More recently, he directed and co-wrote The Mummy. Not exactly the kind of nuanced science fiction writing Star Trek has, at its best, historically represented.

More news on the expanded Star Trek TV universe as we hear it.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:33 PM 03-24-2023
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
the screeners are out for 7 and 8 and people are absolutely going nuts about them on twitter

whatever you think we're getting, what we actually get will probably be better
My question - where the hell has this writing been? I ask that based on the crap that has been Discovery and Picard Season 1, if not kinda season 2. SNW's inaugural season was really good, but even it can't touch what's going on in P3.

This season has been fantastic, and it's been what we've all been waiting for, honestly. Why the freaking wait??
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:44 PM 03-24-2023
BRO

What are YOU doing for #FrontierDay? pic.twitter.com/i65yn3ox7l

— Terry Matalas (@TerryMatalas) March 7, 2023

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:19 PM 03-24-2023
god dammit ladies

To the USS Voyager �� ❤️ https://t.co/0flPTExaUK

— Kate Mulgrew (@TheKateMulgrew) March 24, 2023

[Reply]
KC_Connection 04:05 PM 03-24-2023
Originally Posted by Bowser:
My question - where the hell has this writing been? I ask that based on the crap that has been Discovery and Picard Season 1, if not kinda season 2. SNW's inaugural season was really good, but even it can't touch what's going on in P3.

This season has been fantastic, and it's been what we've all been waiting for, honestly. Why the freaking wait??
I’m gonna again be a defender of SNW here. Some of those episodes are still better anything in P3 for me, but maybe that’s because I like my Trek more traditionally episodic.

It is interesting that they’ve done a complete 180 with P3 though (and it is my understanding that they filmed S3 immediately after S2 filming was complete). It’s like they realized in the middle of S2 production that what they were doing wasn’t working and that they had to make a significant change. They’ve all but ignored the first two seasons completely. Picard not having his body anymore is about the only thing they’ve referenced from those now (and it’s now become obvious why they did so).
[Reply]
listopencil 04:53 PM 03-24-2023
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
I’m gonna again be a defender of SNW here. Some of those episodes are still better anything in P3 for me, but maybe that’s because I like my Trek more traditionally episodic.

It is interesting that they’ve done a complete 180 with P3 though (and it is my understanding that they filmed S3 immediately after S2 filming was complete). It’s like they realized in the middle of S2 production that what they were doing wasn’t working and that they had to make a significant change. They’ve all but ignored the first two seasons completely. Picard not having his body anymore is about the only thing they’ve referenced from those now (and it’s now become obvious why they did so).

Picard isn't an interesting enough character to carry an entire show, and Stewart is too old to breathe the same life into the character that he used to.
[Reply]
Frazod 05:22 PM 03-24-2023
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Picard isn't an interesting enough character to carry an entire show, and Stewart is too old to breathe the same life into the character that he used to.
I agree with this. With the rest of the NG crew to prop him up (especially Worf and Data), it's infinitely better. Spiner showed more of an acting range in about a minute than McFadden has the entire season.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 05:45 PM 03-24-2023
I read somewhere in the past year or so that Stewart himself (an executive producer) didn’t want the full original crew back to start the series (not wanting to retread old ground I’m guessing), so he likely came to a change of opinion on that as well as he saw the product of the first 2 seasons.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:13 PM 03-24-2023
If they really want to wow me, after saving the Federation AGAIN, Worf, Geordi and Riker take up positions as the elder statesmen, rebuilding the UFP from the ground up and showing the kids the ropes.

You can have the crew of the Titan off doing cool shit and the B-roll is the old guys back in Sector 001 pulling strings. Almost like the prequels, with half the story on Coruscant (only not shitty and no Senate), half off on Naboo and Tatooine and Genosis, etc.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:20 PM 03-24-2023
kek

The secret Leah Brahms golem ��

— Mike @ Mike's Podcasts (@Captmarvelman) March 24, 2023

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 09:30 AM 03-25-2023

You know a screener is good when you rewatch them three hours later. https://t.co/wi4wgatlre

— Maggie Lovitt �� SWCE ���� (@maggieofthetown) March 24, 2023

[Reply]
listopencil 09:59 AM 03-25-2023
If they really want to wow me, after saving the Federation AGAIN, Worf, Geordi and Riker take up positions as the elder statesmen, rebuilding the UFP from the ground up and showing the kids the ropes.

You can have the crew of the Titan off doing cool shit and the B-roll is the old guys back in Sector 001 pulling strings. Almost like the prequels, with half the story on Coruscant (only not shitty and no Senate), half off on Naboo and Tatooine and Genosis, etc.
Only way that would work for me would be for the youngsters to be front and center almost all of the time with Worf/Geordi/Riker barely showing up in cameos every once in a while. Maybe they hang around more in the pilot but then they get the fuck out and Seven becomes the wise old leader with maybe Worf as a semi-regular. But I'd rather see Worf on his own show doing bad ass ninja spy shit.
[Reply]
listopencil 10:01 AM 03-25-2023
By the way I've said this before on here but the very first episode that got me liking ST:TNG was when the UFP was taken over by worm-like creatures from far away and Picard and Riker had to show up to Starfleet HQ and kill a guy, blowing his skull open. That was fun and it got my attention. Same sort of thing happening right now and I wonder if it was on purpose.

[Reply]
Megatron96 02:02 PM 03-25-2023
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Have to agree. SNW is the better show to my eye. Hoping they don't eff it up in S2. Has the chance to be the best series so far.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 07:06 PM 03-25-2023
Only way that would work for me would be for the youngsters to be front and center almost all of the time with Worf/Geordi/Riker barely showing up in cameos every once in a while. Maybe they hang around more in the pilot but then they get the fuck out and Seven becomes the wise old leader with maybe Worf as a semi-regular. But I'd rather see Worf on his own show doing bad ass ninja spy shit.
Trouble is, Michael Dorn is 70.

You can split up the show 50/50.
[Reply]
listopencil 07:25 PM 03-25-2023
Trouble is, Michael Dorn is 70.

You can split up the show 50/50.
He's doing really, really good for 70. He'd do OK as the rear echelon motherfucker then. I wouldn't watch it at 50/50. It would be shit. Let Dorn be the local flag officer that Seven serves under.
[Reply]
Page 58 of 70
« First < 8485455565758 5960616268 > Last »
Up