ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3436 of 3903
« First < 2436293633363386342634323433343434353436 3437343834393440344634863536 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Sure-Oz 07:29 AM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
Give them a couple of months. Odds are they are going to find out that herd immunity doesn't protect them from the mutated versions.

Hopefully enough people get the vaccines and the vaccines are effective enough against the variations, but both of those would appear to be in some doubt.
Hopefully people keep getting them. They should be spreading the 'hey your ass won't die from covid if you get a vaccine". I would think that should be enough to do it
[Reply]
ChiliConCarnage 07:55 AM 02-11-2021

I imagine this will keep creeping higher. Cases down to 100k a day. 44 million doses administered. You can see progress but I wish there was a damn fast forward button
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 07:55 AM 02-11-2021
#ZeroCOVID or #HarmReduction?
— Vinay Prasad weighs the two competing targets
by Vinay Prasad, MD, MPH February 9, 2021

#ZeroCOVID

Recently, two articles fleshed out the idea of zero COVID. Indeed, #ZeroCOVID is seductive. After all, who doesn't wish for a world without SARS-CoV-2? Moreover, some countries appear to have achieved or been within striking distance of the dream. Australia and New Zealand are averaging four to six and two new cases a day, respectively. Citizens in those nations can go to parties, concerts, and restaurants. I'm envious!

#HarmReduction

Harm reduction is an alternative view with a longstanding tradition in public health. The core idea is that sometimes abstinence or perfect adherence to policies is not possible, achievable, or desirable among human beings. Human beings are beautifully complicated, and often they have competing desires that influence the short- and long-term goals. Policies can and should encourage actions to lower the harm or damage of the virus, and the realistic pursuit of good can be superior to imperfect pursuit of perfection.

Lockdowns are a unique intervention. If you wish to combat drunk driving, you can mostly succeed even if there are a few violators. But if you wish to combat pandemic spread, your policy is only as successful as the least compliant people. A motivated fraction of the population can thwart the overall effect, by defying the measure and by actively seeking risky activity.

If I reflect on the United States politically at this moment, I cannot imagine a successful lockdown.

Meanwhile, vaccination changes the calculus. Across all vaccine trials to date, and 65,000 vaccinated participants, there are zero hospitalizations and zero deaths. Vaccination removes the fangs from the snake. If we can successfully vaccinate adults, particularly older adults, then eradicating SARS-CoV-2 takes on less importance.

Finally, policy is a series of trade-offs, and a sustained policy of #ZeroCOVID may entail severe downsides. At a minimum, societies might face restrictions on travel and movement. Unanticipated and strict lockdowns may lead to riots and strife.

Prolonged school closure may lead to a generation of kids with educational deficits, and loss of upward mobility. You can tell vaccinated people not to meet for dinner or lunch or to hug their parents whom they have not seen in a year, but I seriously doubt that they will adhere to that recommendation (and I still think the absolute risk is incredibly low, and consistent with many other risks we take in society every day).

In short, I am envious of all countries that are within striking distance of #ZeroCOVID, but given where the United States is in this moment, I struggle to think this is a realistic, feasible or practical goal for us. If you read my past columns, it should come as no surprise that I am of the school of public health that favors harm reduction. But I am curious about what you think?

https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/vinay-prasad/91123
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 08:13 AM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage:

I imagine this will keep creeping higher. Cases down to 100k a day. 44 million doses administered. You can see progress but I wish there was a damn fast forward button
One month ago we were at 795k cases a day. 4 days in a row we’ve been at 100k or less. We are in fast forward now. The reasons why are debatable, but I imagine it’s a combo of vaccinations and natural virus behavior. The latter being the driving force of cases dropping like a rock. Following the same trend line as the Spanish flu, and burning out. With the addition of the vaccines (something we didn’t have in the aforementioned pandemic), we can and likely will burn out even faster. If nothing else with spring time, increased vaccinations, and the way this thing tore through the country, the US should be in incredible shape come May. I can’t wait to attend some live baseball games.
[Reply]
suzzer99 08:56 AM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
Give them a couple of months. Odds are they are going to find out that herd immunity doesn't protect them from the mutated versions.

Hopefully enough people get the vaccines and the vaccines are effective enough against the variations, but both of those would appear to be in some doubt.
From everything I've read - previous infection might not completely prevent infection and transmission of the new variants, but it almost certainly protects against getting super sick.

So a combination of vaccines and herd immunity will probably render covid less deadly than the flu is now, even against the new variants - at least for a while.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 09:00 AM 02-11-2021
I'm amazed how many people seem to want to look for ways for this to never end. It's a mind set I just can't grasp.
[Reply]
TLO 09:02 AM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
I'm not sure. It has dropped like a rock in my area. From 90 to 15 hospitalized in a few months during a month you would expect numbers to be high. It sure isn't anything we are doing differently from the past 6 months so has to be something else.
Even the case numbers each day have plummeted. It all happened very quickly.
[Reply]
stevieray 09:03 AM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
I'm amazed how many people seem to want to look for ways for this to never end. It's a mind set I just can't grasp.
Amen.

They've been worked on.

Sensationalism and emotion rule the day, and compliance is the end game.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:17 AM 02-11-2021
Barring some major change in trend we are 20-30 days from this thing being back at pretty low levels for new cases and this is really mainly before the vaccine has had a chance to take effect.

[Reply]
O.city 09:19 AM 02-11-2021
Only thing I worry about is the new strain thats more transmissible taking off.
[Reply]
Marcellus 09:30 AM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
We have been told from day 1 with viruses that they mutate to more transmittable and less deadly correct?
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 09:37 AM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
It’s not happening in the UK, they are dropping faster than us. Hell it’s not happening in SA. Don’t worry my man, we are finally awaking from this nightmare. Fear sales. We’re on our way out of this.
[Reply]
Pants 09:41 AM 02-11-2021
Wife got her first shot of Pfizer this morning.

I'm stoked.

So happy to see we are well on the way downhill with this Chinese scourge.
[Reply]
O.city 09:43 AM 02-11-2021
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
We have been told from day 1 with viruses that they mutate to more transmittable and less deadly correct?
Normally so. Usually takes a while for a major mutation, which based on my reading this one isn't.

More transmission wouldn't necessarily be a good thing though. More people sick etc.

But with Vaccines, this should be done sooner than later.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 12:12 PM 02-11-2021
Back in November I went in and got the antibody test. Came back positive. Fast forward to late January, I got sick. Ran a fever for a very short time, but felt like I had a head cold - stuffy, runny nose, congested, deep cough and overall just felt terrible. Kept me on the couch for about 4-5 days.

I didn't even consider that I may have caught covid because of the positive antibody test, but about 5 days after getting sick I noticed that I had no sense of smell and my taste was very faint. Over 3 weeks later I'm getting a little bit of my smell back, but my taste still hasn't really started to come back. Never did go for a test to know for sure what I had.
[Reply]
Page 3436 of 3903
« First < 2436293633363386342634323433343434353436 3437343834393440344634863536 > Last »
Up