ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Vaccine(s) coming mid-December...
I'll be the first in line if possible 91 37.76%
I'll get one but I'll wait a month or two to see who croaks 56 23.24%
Like any software or game system, never take 1.0... I'll wait until summer 30 12.45%
If no one's dead by next Thanksgiving, count me in 18 7.47%
No. ****ing. Way. 46 19.09%
Voters: 241. You may not vote on this poll
Page 4 of 38
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Will you take the vaccine?
JD10367 03:40 PM 11-23-2020
I don't think this needs to go to DC because it's an apolitical question, more about how much you trust Big Pharma.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:27 PM 11-23-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
The temps mentioned are the biggest hurdle.

How many places have that kind of system just sitting around.
My naive understanding is that they could deploy different vaccines for different use cases. Pfizer goes to major cities where they have the equipment to store it. Moderna goes to smaller towns where they don't have the crazy cold stuff but they probably have a freezer that can get it down low enough to work. Oxford goes to everyone else.

That's oversimplified, but it's the kind of stuff they'll be working through.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:28 PM 11-23-2020
Originally Posted by displacedinMN:
The temps mentioned are the biggest hurdle.

How many places have that kind of system just sitting around.
Yeah, the biggest hurdle will be storage and distribution, especially when we're talking 330+ million people.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 04:29 PM 11-23-2020
Originally Posted by vailpass:
"People who don't think like me are incredibly stupid". As if there were no good reasons to be cautiously skeptical of a new vaccine.
Just save your limp retort, I've no interest in shitting up a thread in the lounge.
People who don't vaccinate are, in general, incredibly stupid.

People want to wait a bit and see how people are reacting and talk to their doctor and etc.? OK, cool.

People swear they'll never take it? Just non-vaxxers, who are some of the biggest idiots in human history.
[Reply]
JakeF 04:30 PM 11-23-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
What side effects have been reported that have you concerned?

Before you answer with "well this vaccine has only been around for 5 months or so", please tell me the last vaccine candidate that only started showing major side effects 5 months after people started getting it.
I haven't heard of any side effects.

It's just my natural paranoia that leads to my position. It also has to do with my low risk rate. Some people are at high risk and they should take it immediately regardless.
[Reply]
TLO 04:33 PM 11-23-2020
Originally Posted by JakeF:
I haven't heard of any side effects.

It's just my natural paranoia that leads to my position. It also has to do with my low risk rate. Some people are at high risk and they should take it immediately regardless.
I'm also low risk - but I work with a high risk population. I've also been following the progression of the vaccine every step of the way.

Like I said, let's see the data - and if it looks good, let's roll.
[Reply]
candyman 04:33 PM 11-23-2020
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
People swear they'll never take it? Just non-vaxxers, who are some of the biggest idiots in human history.
Not true. I'm not an anti-vaxxer at all, I just dont need a vaccine for a virus with a 99+% survival rate. If some horrible plague happened with a much lower survival rate I'd damn sure be camping out in line for that vaccine.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:33 PM 11-23-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
My naive understanding is that they could deploy different vaccines for different use cases. Pfizer goes to major cities where they have the equipment to store it. Moderna goes to smaller towns where they don't have the crazy cold stuff but they probably have a freezer that can get it down low enough to work. Oxford goes to everyone else.

That's oversimplified, but it's the kind of stuff they'll be working through.
From my understanding, the Moderna vaccine has a shelf life of 24 hours when stored in a refrigerator at 46 degrees or less, while the Pfizer version has to be stored continually at -94 degrees.

I can't believe that there are people out there that refuse to take the vaccine. I had the Small Pox vaccine when I was 5 and still have the Quarter-sized scar on my arm as proof and there was no opting out, which eradicated Small Pox from the globe.

I don't know if there will be direct mandates but I'm certain that schools will require it for attendance, just as they do for every other vaccine.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 04:34 PM 11-23-2020
Okay, here's the deal:

Pfizer and Moderna:

People are concerned about mRNA vaccines because of their novel mechanism. mRNA has been used in oncology therapy for years. It is a perfectly safe.

They will continue to perform stability studies on the vaccines in the coming months. I would bet that storage requirements relax as they test excursions at higher temperatures.

Oxford:

This is more of a traditional vaccine. The two dose schedule that has proven 90 percent effective requires one half-strength dose followed by a full-strength dose. Its storage requirements are easier to follow as well.

Side Effects:

Around 100 thousand doses of these have been given so far. The safety data will be extremely illuminating because the sample sizes are so large. It also bears repeating that vaccines are the safest medications regularly given. You can get hyperchloremic metabolic acidosis from normal saline if infused rapidly.

This will not be version 1.0. That was already done in Phase I. This isn't software development, and you aren't beta testers. The standards are much higher.

Regarding vaccination in general: most flu cases are asymptomatic, meaning you can have it, exhibit no symptoms, and spread it to others. For that reason alone you should always get a flu shot.
[Reply]
Merde Furieux 04:34 PM 11-23-2020
Why? LOL
[Reply]
Pants 04:35 PM 11-23-2020
Of course.
[Reply]
Hoover 04:36 PM 11-23-2020
Hell yes.

I'm so sick of this shit, and the nonsense of our elected officials.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:38 PM 11-23-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I'm also low risk - but I work with a high risk population. I've also been following the progression of the vaccine every step of the way.

Like I said, let's see the data - and if it looks good, let's roll.
One thing that I didn't realize until talking to my friend about the Pfizer vaccine is that the sample size was intentionally skewed (as most of them are from what I can tell). It wasn't 22k people who got it and 22k who didn't - it was more like 40k who got it and 4k who got the placebo (all very rough numbers). It's a pretty solid dataset for the short term.

And as for the long-term, the concerns there strike me as being akin to the whole "people are getting COVID multiple times" thing. Is is possible [that there will be negative impacts down the road]? Sure. But we don't see much evidence that it's at all LIKELY.
[Reply]
el borracho 04:39 PM 11-23-2020
I would prefer not to take it initially, until it's safety is established. But, honestly, if you want to work and/ or travel- you will have no choice. Employers and foreign countries are probably going to require it.
[Reply]
candyman 04:40 PM 11-23-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
mRNA has been used in oncology therapy for years. It is a perfectly safe.
I'm not arguing with anything you posted, you are clearly more knowledgeable about stuff like this than just about anyone here but that part does not help your argument. Chemo and radiation have been used in oncology therapy for years as well, neither are perfectly safe.
[Reply]
DaFace 04:43 PM 11-23-2020
Originally Posted by el borracho:
I would prefer not to take it initially, until it's safety is established. But, honestly, if you want to work and/ or travel- you will have no choice. Employers and foreign countries are probably going to require it.
I wouldn't be surprised if concerts and sporting events do it too. Ticketmaster is building out the framework for it (though they aren't technically the ones who decide on whether to do it or not - that's up to the event organizers).
[Reply]
Page 4 of 38
< 1234 567814 > Last »
Up