ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 10 of 10
« First < 678910
Media Center>New TV suggestions
L.A. Chieffan 01:41 PM 09-28-2020
I have an eight year old 60 inch LG plasma that's been really good but now it's starting to die. Half of the screen is going out. I had a repair guy look at it and he basically said just buy new instead of trying to fix it.

So, I love the OLEDs but the price still seems a little steep. Should I wait for Black Friday or will it not make much difference?

I've heard really good things about TCL Mini-LEDs and they're less than half the price of OLED. Is OLED really that much better? The room it's going in is usually pretty bright so want bright picture and nice blacks etc.

Anyways input is welcome.
[Reply]
jd1020 09:19 AM 10-23-2021
Originally Posted by mac459:
I bought a TCL for the master bedroom tv that’s a 55” a couple years ago. It’s been great. Bought a smaller version for each of the kids rooms, I was a big Vizio guy and I will probably stay with the TCL from now on with how good they have been
I'm heavily leaning towards the TCL but there is 1 thing that might be a deal breaker, or I just get last years model (R635), and thats the upscaling. For whatever reason, the 2021 model has dogshit 480p scaling which is DVDs pre blue ray and thats basically my entire collection of DVDs since I haven't bought a movie in years. They are apparently working on a firmware fix for it but I know far too often how many times software promises never come to light or they just get pushed back so far that they just fix it in a new model and tell you you are SOL.

Is TCL pretty good on the firmware updates?
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:21 AM 10-23-2021
We had a Samsung die again a few weeks ago. We repaired it once. Not worth it again. It would turn on and give sound, but the pic did not light up. Something with the light bar.....refresher....I dont remember.

In todays throw away society, it was just better to go buy a new one. Vizio. Cost us 10 to take the old one to recycling day.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:28 AM 10-23-2021
Hisense U8G should be on everyone's list. Amazing TV.
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 05:39 PM 10-23-2021
Originally Posted by jd1020:
I'm heavily leaning towards the TCL but there is 1 thing that might be a deal breaker, or I just get last years model (R635), and thats the upscaling. For whatever reason, the 2021 model has dogshit 480p scaling which is DVDs pre blue ray and thats basically my entire collection of DVDs since I haven't bought a movie in years. They are apparently working on a firmware fix for it but I know far too often how many times software promises never come to light or they just get pushed back so far that they just fix it in a new model and tell you you are SOL.

Is TCL pretty good on the firmware updates?

Can’t give you a solid answer on that one, although I have never had any trouble with the tv giving a good/great picture. We also never watch dvds it’s all streaming for us, so I don’t know how they would handle the older dvds in your situation
[Reply]
EPodolak 08:07 PM 10-23-2021
I researched that TCL R635, was my second choice when I bought earlier this year. Ended up getting an LG OLED instead but don't think you'd regret the TCL at all.
[Reply]
jd1020 08:21 PM 10-23-2021
Originally Posted by EPodolak:
I researched that TCL R635, was my second choice when I bought earlier this year. Ended up getting an LG OLED instead but don't think you'd regret the TCL at all.
Placed an order for the 2021 model. Went to Best Buy and they didnt have any but they had the 65 inch R635 on display and I can't really justify spending $300-$600 more on something from Samsung or Sony. Coming from something made in 2009 that TCL display looked as sharp as any other TV on display. Shame they didnt have a 55 R646 in store, though. But with the price and the fact that Best Buy is doing extended holiday returns right now so you have til Jan 16th to return anything purchased before Jan 2, couldn't at least give it a shot.

Friend told me to check out this guys videos

He pretty much sold me on it when I was doing my research. Just wish Best Buy didnt have exclusivity on TCL because I would have much rather bought it from a local shop.
[Reply]
eDave 10:10 PM 10-23-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Hisense U8G should be on everyone's list. Amazing TV.
Best picture I've ever seen. Great for gaming too.
[Reply]
Stryker 10:26 PM 10-23-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
Nebraska Furniture Mart has their B series OLED TV on sale.

55": $1200
65": $1800
Our LG we had died after 7 years (living room TV) - it was a very cheap model we bought back then as a replacement for a rear projection TV we had that died. I went to a local store (this Memorial Day) here and bought the 65" LG OLED for $1800 and it is incredible! I had previously bought a 55" LG OLED for the man cave - games look incredible on it as well as Netflix and streaming. Have to say, I have not seen a TCL TV so I can't compare.
[Reply]
Page 10 of 10
« First < 678910
Up