ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 21
« First < 51112131415 16171819 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Sammy Watkins will officially be back
carcosa 03:39 AM 04-03-2020

The Chiefs have reached an agreement with Sammy Watkins on a new 1-year deal that will pay him a base of $9m for 2020 with an incentive package that can reach $16m, a source tells me.

The move creates $5m in cap space for the Chiefs to operate this offseason.

— Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) April 3, 2020

I think this is nice!
[Reply]
Dunerdr 02:01 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
It would be 4 years of "cheap control", not 5, under the old CBA and definitely under the new CBA:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...020-and-beyond

If a player makes the Pro Bowl twice in their first three seasons, their fifth-year option will spike to the price of the franchise tag.

At that point, depending on the position, teams may choose to let those guys walk and take a Comp Pick instead.
I was not aware of that in the new CBA. I guess that really trash cans that theory. *Goes back to fb draft arguments with DMC knowledge*
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 02:01 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by FAX:
I guess I'm the only guy in the entire world who thinks Clowney is overrated.

Yes, he's been named to the Pro Bowl numerous times (and All-Pro a time or two), but I still don't see it.

Maybe it's because we consistently kicked Houston's ass, I don't know. Nevertheless, I remain skeptical.

FAX
I'm not sure anyone is crowing him. If you have Jadeveon Clowney opposite Frank Clark with Chris Jones up the middle though that is the best defensive line in the league by far. Jadeveon Clowney as arguably your third best player on the defensive line...think about that for a second. Mahomes grabs you a nice lead and you unleash that freakshow of a defensive line? With Honey Badger patrolling the secondary? Good luck!

This reminds me of the Rams in 2018 when they already had an absolutely loaded defensive line with Donald, Suh and Brockers. After the Khalil Mack trade to the Bears it became known the Rams were going hard after Mack but the pieces didnt fall into place.

If you can grab Clowney for a year in a prove it deal without mortgaging your future in any way I'm all for it!
[Reply]
OKchiefs 02:09 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by ForeverIowan:
I'm not sure anyone is crowing him. If you have Jadeveon Clowney opposite Frank Clark with Chris Jones up the middle though that is the best defensive line in the league by far. Jadeveon Clowney as arguably your third best player on the defensive line...think about that for a second. Mahomes grabs you a nice lead and you unleash that freakshow of a defensive line? With Honey Badger patrolling the secondary? Good luck!

This reminds me of the Rams in 2018 when they already had an absolutely loaded defensive line with Donald, Suh and Brockers. After the Khalil Mack trade to the Bears it became known the Rams were going hard after Mack but the pieces didnt fall into place.

If you can grab Clowney for a year in a prove it deal without mortgaging your future in any way I'm all for it!
A prove it deal for Clowney is probably still $6-7 million at a minimum (and probably more like $10 million), cap room we simply won't have available to sink into one player. So while it's an interesting idea to fantasize about, it's almost impossible for it to happen.
[Reply]
FAX 02:10 PM 04-03-2020

You make a compelling argument, Mr. ForeverIowan ... it reminds me of rainbows, cuddly puppy-dogs that don't defecate on your floor, and vaginas that exude the scent of freshly-harvested marijuana.

On the other hand, is he a physical freak that has often underperformed? Is he one of those guys who rely on name recognition to make the Pro Bowl? Or, is he a guy who has always found himself in the wrong system and whose potential is yet to be fully tapped?

All I know is that he has never played well against the Chiefs ... even when we sucked.

Of course, the fact that Billy O decided to move on from him speaks in his favor. So there's that.

Still, you may be right. I just can't shake this sense that he is generally overrated.

FAX
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 02:17 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
A prove it deal for Clowney is probably still $6-7 million at a minimum (and probably more like $10 million), cap room we simply won't have available to sink into one player. So while it's an interesting idea to fantasize about, it's almost impossible for it to happen.
I'm not a GM but as previously discussed extending Jones, and moving on from LDT, Colquitt and Dirty Dan and you have more than enough space.
[Reply]
ForeverIowan 02:19 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by FAX:
You make a compelling argument, Mr. ForeverIowan ... it reminds me of rainbows, cuddly puppy-dogs that don't defecate on your floor, and vaginas that exude the scent of freshly-harvested marijuana.

On the other hand, is he a physical freak that has often underperformed? Is he one of those guys who rely on name recognition to make the Pro Bowl? Or, is he a guy who has always found himself in the wrong system and whose potential is yet to be fully tapped?

All I know is that he has never played well against the Chiefs ... even when we sucked.

Of course, the fact that Billy O decided to move on from him speaks in his favor. So there's that.

Still, you may be right. I just can't shake this sense that he is generally overrated.

FAX
There have been FAR worse contracts given than Clowney on a one year prove it deal playing beside Jones and Clark. I think the risk is worth it.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 02:24 PM 04-03-2020
I'm not a GM but as previously discussed extending Jones, and moving on from LDT, Colquitt and Dirty Dan and you have more than enough space.
Perhaps, but the problem with cutting players and counting on the available cap space is you still likely have to sign other players to replace the players you just cut. Cutting Sorensen isn't a bad idea, but it's a risk with no guarantee Thornhill will be ready coming off of injury. So even if you did, you probably need to sign a veteran for depth. So that cuts into the cap savings there. And our interior OL depth is already thin as is, so you need to draft or sign someone to replace LDT if you cut him. That cuts into his savings. And all along you still need cap room to address other depth issues on the roster, as the team still isn't complete and in addition to signing a veteran cornerback they probably need a few million at least to address depth or injury issues before and during the season. We're still on the hook for Okafor at $7.2 million with $6 million in dead money if we cut him, so I don't even see where Clowney would slot in. Okafor also had more sacks last year than Clowney, so I'm not sure Clowney even offers that much of an improvement.
[Reply]
FAX 02:25 PM 04-03-2020
There have been FAR worse contracts given than Clowney on a one year prove it deal playing beside Jones and Clark. I think the risk is worth it.
There are worse things than having a ferret chew off one of your testicles while you sleep, too.

When you're not pursuing your career as a general manager, are you also some sort of maniacal sadist promoting the sale of untrained, nocturnal ferrets to innocent Chiefs fans?

FAX
[Reply]
stevieray 02:27 PM 04-03-2020
I'd be highly surprised if they let Dirty Dan go.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 02:27 PM 04-03-2020

Guess What Y’all !!! WE RUNNIN IT BACK ��

— Demarcus Robinson (@Demarcus) April 3, 2020

[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 02:28 PM 04-03-2020
If we re sign Breeland look for us to go either OL, LB or WR in first round. If Patrick Queen falls you grab him!!!
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:33 PM 04-03-2020
Every year, people on CP scream that Sorensen should be cut and every year, Sorensen proves his value, especially in crunch time.

There isn't a Hybrid Safety/3rd Down linebacker available in free agency or without the use of a high draft choice that can bring what Sorensen brings to the Chiefs each year, especially given his low cap number.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:47 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by stevieray:
I'd be highly surprised if they let Dirty Dan go.
He's starting to get to the walkaway point, he's 30, he's not a starter and he's basically a solid role player. On a team that is going to have highly paid stars usually dudes in his role are on rookie deals.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:48 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Every year, people on CP scream that Sorensen should be cut and every year, Sorensen proves his value, especially in crunch time.

There isn't a Hybrid Safety/3rd Down linebacker available in free agency or without the use of a high draft choice that can bring what Sorensen brings to the Chiefs each year, especially given his low cap number.
His cap number is nearly 5 million dollars, that's quite a bit for a 3rd safety.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:52 PM 04-03-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
His cap number is nearly 5 million dollars, that's quite a bit for a 3rd safety.
Except he's never really been a 3rd safety.

He had only three starts in 2019 but had 2 INT's, 2 QB Hits and 57 tackles during the regular season.

He's a Baller and until someone else can step up (I thought DOD would be the guy but he hasn't been so far), he'll be on the roster.
[Reply]
Page 15 of 21
« First < 51112131415 16171819 > Last »
Up