ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2311 of 3903
« First < 1311181122112261230123072308230923102311 231223132314231523212361241128113311 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 12:58 PM 06-08-2020
Pretty much.

We're still learning. It's also kinda depending on wording. True asymptomatic may be more rare than we think it's just that symptoms are so little we don't notice. Technically, thats not asymptomatic.
[Reply]
Bearcat 01:08 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Does anyone still question why people have a hard time believing a damn thing they are told about Covid and question the so called experts?

I had actually read this theory early on and then we got bombarded with all these asymptomatic super spreaders stories etc...
Because people are idiots and think "expert" means they should know everything about a virus that didn't exist several months ago?

I read an interesting quote the other day, unrelated to Covid in general... "the goal of science is not to prove any position, but to collect evidence and draw conclusions based on whatever the data says".

Science isn't "pick a side early on with relatively little info and use confirmation bias to prove you were right until the end of time," like most people.... conclusions are drawn on the data given and conclusions change as the data changes.

Science gives no fucks about anyone's agenda or "being right".

The downside is that the media certainly does, so what's actually said by scientist, which might be "the data shows asymptomatic people could be spreading Covid, based on the number of new infections" turns into a news story "YOU'RE SPREADING COVID AND DON'T EVEN KNOW IT!!!"
[Reply]
lewdog 01:12 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
Pretty much.

We're still learning. It's also kinda depending on wording. True asymptomatic may be more rare than we think it's just that symptoms are so little we don't notice. Technically, thats not asymptomatic.
Basically this.

I had some congestion and a very mild sore throat but that’s allergies to me. So I considered myself asymptomatic with a positive test. I just had similar symptoms last week but my allergies are terrible right now.
[Reply]
Kidd Lex 01:14 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
Because people are idiots and think "expert" means they should know everything about a virus that didn't exist several months ago?

I read an interesting quote the other day, unrelated to Covid in general... "the goal of science is not to prove any position, but to collect evidence and draw conclusions based on whatever the data says".

Science isn't "pick a side early on with relatively little info and use confirmation bias to prove you were right until the end of time," like most people.... conclusions are drawn on the data given and conclusions change as the data changes.

Science gives no ****s about anyone's agenda or "being right".

The downside is that the media certainly does, so what's actually said by scientist, which might be "the data shows asymptomatic people could be spreading Covid, based on the number of new infections" turns into a news story "YOU'RE SPREADING COVID AND DON'T EVEN KNOW IT!!!"
Well said, I’ve been trying to articulate this for weeks.
[Reply]
petegz28 01:18 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Basically this.

I had some congestion and a very mild sore throat but that’s allergies to me. So I considered myself asymptomatic with a positive test. I just had similar symptoms last week but my allergies are terrible right now.
You got the Rona again....the Re-Rona......

See what I did there???

I'm cracking myself up over here already
[Reply]
jdubya 01:20 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
It's almost like global mitigation efforts worked.
It`s true doomsayers can never be technically wrong.
[Reply]
O.city 01:22 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Basically this.

Yeah.

Glad your better.
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:27 PM 06-08-2020

Yea I agree with all of your post, but my point is that people in this very thread shit on others who have questioned some of the info being passed as "fact" and then it turns out, its not a "fact" and its all been theory that may be 100% wrong.

I had several people jump on me about questioning asymptomatic spread and the Sweden study that found that children are not good vectors for spreading covid.

There is a metric shit ton of conflicting info on this stuff so to bash people who question some things makes zero sense as we are once again seeing.
[Reply]
jdubya 01:30 PM 06-08-2020

A neighbor is an environmental scientist and is hired by various entities to do environmental impact reports (EIR`s)........took me and my buddy a few years but finally after a few too many at at BBQ gathering this guy admitted his opinion on EIR`s would sway in favor of the one paying him. If hired by a developer, "Nope, no purple bellied lizards in this field. Build away" Or if hired by environmental groups, "Cant disturb this area because I see left handed purple toed bunny rabbit habitat" lol....
[Reply]
Donger 01:33 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
It`s true doomsayers can never be technically wrong.
Sure they can. But, they said that we'd have 100,000 to 240,000 deaths with mitigation. Seems they were right, eh?
[Reply]
O.city 01:44 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Yea I agree with all of your post, but my point is that people in this very thread shit on others who have questioned some of the info being passed as "fact" and then it turns out, its not a "fact" and its all been theory that may be 100% wrong.

I had several people jump on me about questioning asymptomatic spread and the Sweden study that found that children are not good vectors for spreading covid.

There is a metric shit ton of conflicting info on this stuff so to bash people who question some things makes zero sense as we are once again seeing.
I think it's alot about how people approached "questioning" things and the motives behind them. Right or wrong, it generally comes from both "sides".

As has been said some here though that we all need to remember, there's alot of stuff out there thats pre print that hasn't been looked at from a peer review standpoint that can be pretty easily destructed simply based on methods.

We all want this to get figured out one way or another.
[Reply]
Donger 02:52 PM 06-08-2020
https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/06/08...s-study-finds/

In the first peer-reviewed analysis of local, regional and national policies, the researchers found that travel restrictions, business and school closures, shelter-in-place orders and other non-pharmaceutical interventions averted roughly 530 million COVID-19 infections across the six countries in the study period ending April 6. Of these infections, 62 million would likely have been “confirmed cases,” given limited testing in each country.
[Reply]
Donger 02:57 PM 06-08-2020
https://covid19-projections.com/maps/

Pretty helpful interactive maps.
[Reply]
Bowser 03:34 PM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Sure they can. But, they said that we'd have 100,000 to 240,000 deaths with mitigation. Seems they were right, eh?
"With" the covid, or "because of" the covid? An important distinction, no?

:-)
[Reply]
Bowser 03:35 PM 06-08-2020

Well, I'd like to see the research behind this.
Man I'll tell you what.....all those rioters sure dodged a bullet at precisely the right time, huh?
[Reply]
Bowser 03:35 PM 06-08-2020

Well, I'd like to see the research behind this.
Man I'll tell you what.....all those rioters sure dodged a bullet at precisely the right time, huh?
[Reply]
Page 2311 of 3903
« First < 1311181122112261230123072308230923102311 231223132314231523212361241128113311 > Last »
Up