Pitcher

Edit:
Matheny fired 07/14/2018

Opening Day Roster
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Marco Polo 09:45 AM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
That wanted to pitch in his home town. For the team he grew up loving. What a wasted opportunity.
I will be thinking about that for three hours straight on Monday, even if we somehow beat him.
[Reply]
Marco Polo 09:46 AM 08-31-2018
Forgot to note from my prior post- no way the Cards get Donaldson even if we want him. Someone below the waiver wire will surely put in a claim to block at this late stage in the game.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:25 AM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by Marco Polo:
Forgot to note from my prior post- no way the Cards get Donaldson even if we want him. Someone below the waiver wire will surely put in a claim to block at this late stage in the game.
Again - McCutchen went unclaimed while healthy, more productive and cheaper this season.

I'd be surprised if anyone puts a claim in on Donaldson. I'm not even 100% sure the Cardinals will; I think they may see if he clears and try to engineer a trade.

$4.5 million for Josh Donaldson and his limp for 5 weeks isn't exactly a bargain.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:25 AM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by Marco Polo:
Just read we are going against Scherzer on Monday- the game I'm planning on attending. Why couldn't it be literally anyone else?!
Additionally, rumors now are that Scherzer is pitching Sunday against the Brewers afterall.

So that's nice.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 10:30 AM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Again - McCutchen went unclaimed while healthy, more productive and cheaper this season.

I'd be surprised if anyone puts a claim in on Donaldson. I'm not even 100% sure the Cardinals will; I think they may see if he clears and try to engineer a trade.

$4.5 million for Josh Donaldson and his limp for 5 weeks isn't exactly a bargain.
I was about to say that McCutchen passed through, and with Ozuna's shoulder, he would have been a good target.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:33 AM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
I was about to say that McCutchen passed through, and with Ozuna's shoulder, he would have been a good target.
Eh - I'm fine with an OF of O'Neill, Bader and Martinez.
[Reply]
VAChief 10:39 AM 08-31-2018

If they will take some of roster glut we will likely release anyway, I don't have a problem with it, but it can't be anything significant at this point of the year and considering he could be a Greg Holland equivalent position player.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:59 AM 08-31-2018
Eh - I'm fine with an OF of O'Neill, Bader and Martinez.
Yeah, Martinez hasn't screwed up too much out there. Maybe he just looks good in comparison to being the worst defensive 1B of all time.

One time, he did have his glove halfway on his hand and couldn't catch the ball, but at least he got to the ball.:-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:20 AM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by VAChief:
If they will take some of roster glut we will likely release anyway, I don't have a problem with it, but it can't be anything significant at this point of the year and considering he could be a Greg Holland equivalent position player.
I'm not wholly convinced that Donaldson with bad legs will give us anything more than Patrick Wisdom would, but that's easily the most I'd give up for him and if I did, the Jays would be taking salary back.

Wisdom's gone this off-season one way or the other. We either lose him as a minor league FA or in a trade for marginal organizational depth piece. If we could send him back to Toronto to get a million bucks back, that's probably as good a use for him as we'll find.

But even that could backfire as again - I wouldn't be surprised to see Wisdom actually outplay Donaldson going forward. Folks are really underestimating how screwed up Donaldson's lower half is and how badly that will impact his swing. I doubt he'll be able to play more than 2 of every 3 games and there's a decent chance he just breaks down outright.

His swing is just too violent. Without his legs under him, it's just not gonna work.
[Reply]
Marco Polo 11:27 AM 08-31-2018

Have to give credit where it’s due- you were right. He’s cleared waivers.

Now the infamous Bob Nightengale thinks we are the favorites to land him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:33 AM 08-31-2018
Donaldson is going to be a really interesting FA case. Before the year, I would have predicted something like 3/55 for him. Now?

Who knows, but I can’t see anything committing multiple years at this point.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:36 AM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Donaldson is going to be a really interesting FA case. Before the year, I would have predicted something like 3/55 for him. Now?

Unless its heavily weighted to performance, how could any team give him multiple years with the AAV he wants? Especially us with the Fowler situation/contract that's still hasnt been dealt with yet and that's a bomb waiting to detonate in the off season. No way you don't have to pay $50 million for that problem to go away.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:39 AM 08-31-2018
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:

He cleared.

The Jays will trade him for something for that very reason. They can't offer him a QO - he'll absolutely take it. Nobody's gonna give him a LTC and he'll end up stuck in Moustakas purgatory if he turned down the QO and went to market with draft pick compensation attached.

No, if the Jays offer him the QO, they're paying him $19 million next season. So they won't.

I just don't think there's much of a market for him. Wisdom for Donaldson and at least $1 million seems like too much to give for a broken down 3b but I'd probably go ahead and do it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:41 AM 08-31-2018
Oh, and for the record, the guy to get isn't even Donaldson - it's Logan Forsythe.

He's a 2b with enough defensive versatility to slide over to 3b if/when Wong gets back healthy. He's a solid veteran stick who we know can help us right now.

Gimme Forsythe so we don't risk rushing Wong back too early. Play Munoz at 3b where he's actually been pretty decent defensively this year. Forsythe can take Garcia's utility IFer role (with Munoz weirdly becoming an OF/IF hybrid) if/when Gyorko returns.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 11:42 AM 08-31-2018
I just don't think there's much of a market for him. Wisdom for Donaldson and at least $1 million seems like too much to give for a broken down 3b but I'd probably go ahead and do it.
I thought you and Hamas were big Gyrko fans?
[Reply]
Page 231 of 301
« First < 131181221227228229230231 232233234235241281 > Last »
Up