ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>The blue-state exodus gains momentum
Merde Furieux 11:02 AM 01-11-2020
But that trend also highlights a problem: Some of the people fleeing destructive blue-state taxes and regulations appear to drag their pro-big-government philosophy with them ó apparently oblivious to the fact those policies destroyed the state they are trying to escape.

One can even see that dynamic occurring in Texas. For a decade or so, liberals have been predicting (not to mention hoping) that Texasís growing Hispanic population would turn the state from deep red to purple, and perhaps even blue.

In addition, many California families have decided to migrate to Texas simply to find more affordable housing, lower taxes and streets that arenít rife with homeless people, feces and used drug paraphernalia. And Texas even has a 367-mile-long coast!

But we cannot overstate the significance of the Bureauís top-line finding: Texas will gain two or three congressional seats after 2020 while California will likely lose one.

Thatís a big deal for California, which has never lost a congressional seat. It is a tacit repudiation of Californiaís over-the-top taxes and policies. Some of the other blue states, like New York and Illinois, have been bleeding people for years.

Several years ago I interviewed the editor of Chief Executive magazine, which conducts an annual CEO survey of the best and worst states to do business. The editor told me the survey had two constants: Texas always comes in as the best state to do business, and California always comes in dead last. Oh, and Florida, which is projected to gain two seats, usually comes in second place.

But there is another factor: Texas has become one of the primary destinations for disaffected Californians, as more and more California businesses have concluded itís time to go where they will be appreciated.

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/...gains-momentum
[Reply]
neech 07:01 PM 01-12-2020
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
So back to Johnson County.

Anyone want to explain why this high tax area isn’t losing anyone?
They get used to high taxes and its a status symbol to live there, I don't get it either PB.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:47 PM 01-12-2020
Originally Posted by Pogue:
I make too much money in California to leave.
My work is in Hollywood, so I can't leave, either. But if I could, I'd be out in a heartbeat.

Hollywood is out of control with Gentrification, with 13 more new hotels (One has opened and three others will open this year), millions of square footage for Netflix (which has been a disaster for me personally due to traffic) and several 40+ story towers going up before 2024. There's also a 4 million square foot office space set to go up at The Crossroads of the World by 2024 as well.

But not only is the gentrification, it's the insane property taxes, not only on homes but cars as well. I'm paying more than $14k a year in home property tax and two years ago, California raised the Auto Property Tax by more than 20% so I'm paying at least $500 on two late model vehicles.

The homeless situation is out of control here. OUT OF CONTROL. We have homeless camps on the streets below mine and unfortunately, we pass by more homeless camps taking our children to and from school. Add to that, THEY ARE EVERYWHERE! In front of grocery stores, drug stores, restaurants, gas stations - you name it. My kids get scared and rightly so. I'll often pay for Food Delivery fees just to avoid homeless beggars. There are even homeless people harassing drivers in Drive-Thru Lanes!

Add to that, the mayor of LA is a freaking moron, which is saying something because Antonio "Tony Villa" Villaraigosa was maybe the most corrupt mayor this city has seen in 100 years. Eric Garcetti has proposed spending ONE BILLION DOLLARS on housing for the homeless. Meanwhile, our streets are shit, I don't even have sidewalks and the public schools are absolutely pathetic. I mean, PATHETIC. More pathetic than anyone that hasn't experienced them can possibly imagine.

And then we have the Democrats that run this state, wanting to provide FREE healthcare to illegals. FREE! What in the world is WRONG with these people?

It just sucks. I freakin' hate it. My oldest's school is 4.6 miles from our home and it takes a minimum of 25 minutes to get there in the morning, around 20 or so to get home, then at least 30 minutes in the afternoon and 30 minutes to get home. So, I am WASTING nearly 2 hours per day so that my child doesn't have to attend a crappy LAUSD school and instead can attend a Charter School, which STILL costs us at least $7k per child per year plus 100 hours of "Community Service" for both me and my wife.

Life shouldn't be this difficult. It really shouldn't. Yet California has figured out a way to fuck EVERYONE in the ass that lives here.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:52 PM 01-12-2020
I liked visiting CA. I got tired of the graffitti EVERYWHERE. On the toilet seat at a c-store. WHat the fuck is that ?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:59 PM 01-12-2020
As far as the "Exodus", I personally haven't seen it. Hollywood, the Valley and DTLA are FAR MORE populated than when I moved here in 1993.

It's next to impossible to go the speed limit on the freeways and most of the time, I'm driving between 5 and 10 mph on the 101 during the week. The neighborhoods and surface streets are jammed with cars. There are countless 40 year old pickup trucks driven by, what appears to be, illegal immigrants who ALWAYS drive at least 10 MPH below the speed limit so they're not pulled over by what very few police officers patrol the city. It seems to me that there's a record number of Eastern Europeans here that are not only rude and nasty, they stink. I can barely handle being in an Uber or Lyft with one of those smelly bastards for a brief car ride, let alone, being stuck next to them in line at the grocery store in which they stand WAY too close and crowd people.

I know of only two people in the past ten years that have actually left LA: One was a family that had roots in Colorado, so they moved back to Denver. The other was a single guy that worked for the largest independent Production Music Library in the world. The guy was barely making ends meet with his salary. He had a crappy vehicle and a roommate to help him pay the $3,500 a month for a shitty 2 bedroom apartment.

He was offered a transfer to Nashville and took it immediately. He's been there for about 18 months and not only has a new late model vehicle but he just purchased a nice 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom house in a suburb just outside the city. And the guy didn't even receive a raise!

I don't know why ANYONE would want to live here if their job and livelihood didn't require it. It freaking BLOWS.
[Reply]
D2112 07:59 PM 01-12-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
My work is in Hollywood, so I can't leave, either. But if I could, I'd be out in a heartbeat.

Hollywood is out of control with Gentrification, with 13 more new hotels (One has opened and three others will open this year), millions of square footage for Netflix (which has been a disaster for me personally due to traffic) and several 40+ story towers going up before 2024. There's also a 4 million square foot office space set to go up at The Crossroads of the World by 2024 as well.

But not only is the gentrification, it's the insane property taxes, not only on homes but cars as well. I'm paying more than $14k a year in home property tax and two years ago, California raised the Auto Property Tax by more than 20% so I'm paying at least $500 on two late model vehicles.

The homeless situation is out of control here. OUT OF CONTROL. We have homeless camps on the streets below mine and unfortunately, we pass by more homeless camps taking our children to and from school. Add to that, THEY ARE EVERYWHERE! In front of grocery stores, drug stores, restaurants, gas stations - you name it. My kids get scared and rightly so. I'll often pay for Food Delivery fees just to avoid homeless beggars. There are even homeless people harassing drivers in Drive-Thru Lanes!

Add to that, the mayor of LA is a freaking moron, which is saying something because Antonio "Tony Villa" Villaraigosa was maybe the most corrupt mayor this city has seen in 100 years. Eric Garcetti has proposed spending ONE BILLION DOLLARS on housing for the homeless. Meanwhile, our streets are shit, I don't even have sidewalks and the public schools are absolutely pathetic. I mean, PATHETIC. More pathetic than anyone that hasn't experienced them can possibly imagine.

And then we have the Democrats that run this state, wanting to provide FREE healthcare to illegals. FREE! What in the world is WRONG with these people?

It just sucks. I freakin' hate it. My oldest's school is 4.6 miles from our home and it takes a minimum of 25 minutes to get there in the morning, around 20 or so to get home, then at least 30 minutes in the afternoon and 30 minutes to get home. So, I am WASTING nearly 2 hours per day so that my child doesn't have to attend a crappy LAUSD school and instead can attend a Charter School, which STILL costs us at least $7k per child per year plus 100 hours of "Community Service" for both me and my wife.

Life shouldn't be this difficult. It really shouldn't. Yet California has figured out a way to fuck EVERYONE in the ass that lives here.
Holy shit. And I thought I had it bad. New York City is reverting back into a shit hole now also. Homeless everywhere again. I had some homeless guy tsp me on the shoulder in penn station waiting for a train. I went off on the guy and he was like I need help. So I said go out and look for a job instead of begging. It hasnít been this bad since the 80ís. And itís not the cops fault, they get blamed for everything.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:03 PM 01-12-2020
Originally Posted by D2112:
Holy shit. And I thought I had it bad. New York City is reverting back into a shit hole now also. Homeless everywhere again. I had some homeless guy tsp me on the shoulder in penn station waiting for a train. I went off on the guy and he was like I need help. So I said go out and look for a job instead of begging. It hasnít been this bad since the 80ís. And itís not the cops fault, they get blamed for everything.
I picked up my oldest Friday afternoon and we stopped for dinner at El Pollo Loco. She held my hand the entire time because not only were we approached twice while walking from the car, we had three more people come up to us while we were waiting on the food.

I don't blame the restaurant managers or especially the police, who are outnumbered by the homeless population 5 to 1. I blame the Governor, the City Council, the State Reps, the Senators and the Mayor.

A lot of good that does for me...
[Reply]
neech 08:06 PM 01-12-2020
Dane move out to the Midwest somewhere.

You and your family should live more of a normal life.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:10 PM 01-12-2020
My brother just took a job in Manhattan at 57th & 8th so he got an apartment at 67th and Amsterdam. He's on the 38th floor and paid extra for a balcony because he likes to enjoy an occasional cigar but the management failed to tell him that they don't allow smoking on the balconies.

Anyway, he's only been there for a month so I'll be curious to hear what it's like coming from living in Austin, Texas for the past 21 years. He signed a 5 year employment contract so I hope he doesn't end up hating it.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:13 PM 01-12-2020
Originally Posted by neech:
Dane move out to the Midwest somewhere.

You and your family should live more of a normal life.
I can't, Dude. I'm a TV Composer and my work and business are here.

That said, my kids absolutely LOVE visiting the KC metro area (all of my family is in Leawood or Olathe). My wife took them back for a week this past summer and they FaceTimed me after going to McDonald's of all places:

"Daddy, we actually got to SIT inside and eat at a McDonalds! It was so nice and clean!".

It was sweet of them yet pathetic that they were excited to sit inside a McDonalds. A freaking McDonalds.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 08:14 PM 01-12-2020
Originally Posted by neech:
They get used to high taxes and its a status symbol to live there, I don't get it either PB.
Kochservatives believe everything is about tax rates. Theyíre human garbage with zero connection to how most people live.
[Reply]
D2112 08:20 PM 01-12-2020
My brother just took a job in Manhattan at 57th & 8th so he got an apartment at 67th and Amsterdam. He's on the 38th floor and paid extra for a balcony because he likes to enjoy an occasional cigar but the management failed to tell him that they don't allow smoking on the balconies.

Anyway, he's only been there for a month so I'll be curious to hear what it's like coming from living in Austin, Texas for the past 21 years. He signed a 5 year employment contract so I hope he doesn't end up hating it.
Giuliani really cleaned the city up. Times Square went from the most dangerous place to be to the safest. No more squeegy douches or homeless or graffiti. Now? Itís all starting to come back and revert back to 1980ís 1970ís nyc. And nyc is having a hard time recruiting new cops.

Itís still a fun place to go To (I live 45 minutes out in jersey). But I have no patience for homeless beggers. And the tourists are to blame for feeding them and giving them money.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 08:22 PM 01-12-2020
Giuliani really cleaned the city up. Times Square went from the most dangerous place to be to the safest. No more squeegy douches or homeless or graffiti. Now? Itís all starting to come back and revert back to 1980ís 1970ís nyc. And nyc is having a hard time recruiting new cops.

Itís still a fun place to go To (I live 45 minutes out in jersey). But I have no patience for homeless beggers. And the tourists are to blame for feeding them and giving them money.
I'm going to visit at some point this year and I'll shoot you a PM before it happens.

What was the name of the bar that was owned by a former boxing cut man you recommended 10 years ago or so? My brother would LOVE that place.

Thanks! :-)
[Reply]
D2112 08:29 PM 01-12-2020
I'm going to visit at some point this year and I'll shoot you a PM before it happens.

What was the name of the bar that was owned by a former boxing cut man you recommended 10 years ago or so? My brother would LOVE that place.

Thanks! :-)
Sounds good! Lol jimmys corner tavern on w44th st between 6th and 7th Street. Owned by Jimmy glenn. Cheap beer and shot joint with tons of boxing nostalgia.
[Reply]
2bikemike 09:15 PM 01-12-2020
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Why donít you tell us the real reason you want to leave?

Itís the same reason everyone leaves a place and has been that way forever.
I just did tell you why. Does that not fit the narrative you want?
[Reply]
Dallas Chief 09:31 PM 01-12-2020
I picked up my oldest Friday afternoon and we stopped for dinner at El Pollo Loco. She held my hand the entire time because not only were we approached twice while walking from the car, we had three more people come up to us while we were waiting on the food.

I don't blame the restaurant managers or especially the police, who are outnumbered by the homeless population 5 to 1. I blame the Governor, the City Council, the State Reps, the Senators and the Mayor.

A lot of good that does for me...
Iím actually quite shocked to hear any of this from you. Not because of anything you have previously said, but because it is heartbreaking to hear. I absolute loved the time I spent in Orange County, Irvine and Laguna mostly. Havenít heard that they are struggling with the same challenges. I know that commute would be a bitch, but would Irvine or someplace just south of there be out of the question for you? Glad you are back posting btw...
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up