ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>The blue-state exodus gains momentum
Merde Furieux 11:02 AM 01-11-2020
But that trend also highlights a problem: Some of the people fleeing destructive blue-state taxes and regulations appear to drag their pro-big-government philosophy with them ó apparently oblivious to the fact those policies destroyed the state they are trying to escape.

One can even see that dynamic occurring in Texas. For a decade or so, liberals have been predicting (not to mention hoping) that Texasís growing Hispanic population would turn the state from deep red to purple, and perhaps even blue.

In addition, many California families have decided to migrate to Texas simply to find more affordable housing, lower taxes and streets that arenít rife with homeless people, feces and used drug paraphernalia. And Texas even has a 367-mile-long coast!

But we cannot overstate the significance of the Bureauís top-line finding: Texas will gain two or three congressional seats after 2020 while California will likely lose one.

Thatís a big deal for California, which has never lost a congressional seat. It is a tacit repudiation of Californiaís over-the-top taxes and policies. Some of the other blue states, like New York and Illinois, have been bleeding people for years.

Several years ago I interviewed the editor of Chief Executive magazine, which conducts an annual CEO survey of the best and worst states to do business. The editor told me the survey had two constants: Texas always comes in as the best state to do business, and California always comes in dead last. Oh, and Florida, which is projected to gain two seats, usually comes in second place.

But there is another factor: Texas has become one of the primary destinations for disaffected Californians, as more and more California businesses have concluded itís time to go where they will be appreciated.

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/...gains-momentum
[Reply]
Over Yonder 02:43 PM 01-11-2020
Originally Posted by Pogue:
I make too much money in California to leave.
But what does it cost to live? Like cost of living vs. income. Genuine question.

Do you have a job/skill set that does not work well elsewhere in the country?
[Reply]
Hamwallet 04:58 PM 01-11-2020
I am about to get married and settle down in Harrisonburg VA. We are scouting and for $300,000 I can get a 3 bed 2 bath backed up to a National Forest with 10-15 acres. That would be around “you better be a rockstar” in California.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 05:01 PM 01-11-2020
Originally Posted by Hamwallet:
I am about to get married and settle down in Harrisonburg VA. We are scouting and for $300,000 I can get a 3 bed 2 bath backed up to a National Forest with 10-15 acres. That would be around ďyou better be a rockstarĒ in California.
Once your settled in. Can I come out and help you raise a militia?
I have nice 1977 AMF pop up camper.
[Reply]
Hamwallet 05:09 PM 01-11-2020
Originally Posted by LiveSteam:
Once your settled in. Can I come out and help you raise a militia?
I have nice 1977 AMF pop up camper.
Itís really tempting to hop over the mountains to West Virginia, prices are literally 25-30% cheaper BUT... we want to have a kids. I would have to send them to private school because you donít send kids to West Virginia public school. Thatís a lot more money each year.

West Virginia is fucking beautiful but itís meth town independence with mountains.
[Reply]
Iowanian 05:58 PM 01-11-2020
Libs should stay in the bed they made instead of dragging those liberal bed bugs into red states.
[Reply]
2bikemike 01:20 AM 01-12-2020
As a Resident of California for the last 38 Years, I am about 5 1/2 Months from vacating the State. The reasons are many. But the 2 biggest reasons

1. Is that I feel unwelcome and I disagree with the direction the State is headed. I feel persecuted for wanting to exercise my 2nd amendment rights. Most of the legislation is anathema to my beliefs.

2. The High cost of living. Taxes are pretty bad and they are constantly trying to chip away at Prop 13 which is the last barrier protecting the tax payer. Property Taxes are manageable if you have owned your home a long time.

I will be able to leave and significantly enhance my retirement. I will miss the weather and the beauty of the State, but I will not miss the crowds and politics.
And I can guarantee that I will not be trying to change my chosen destination.
[Reply]
D2112 06:51 AM 01-12-2020
Originally Posted by Over Yonder:
But what does it cost to live? Like cost of living vs. income. Genuine question.

Do you have a job/skill set that does not work well elsewhere in the country?
I understand what heís saying. And I understand where youíre coming from. Iím kind of in the same situation but on the east coast. Iím going to move eventually but for the time being Iím stuck here for the coin.
[Reply]
HemiEd 07:25 AM 01-12-2020
I left Illinois the day we retired, felt like I had escaped prison. It was pure adulation crossing the border into Missouri with the last load of our belongings.

Reasons are as follows in this order.
1) laws- I could talk about them for hours. Too damn many regulations, I don't call it freedom.
2) Taxes-I would have had to keep working just to pay them.
3) Weather-7 month long cold ass winters
[Reply]
displacedinMN 08:01 AM 01-12-2020
My father in law and his wife have a place in Palm Springs. California sent him a letter claiming since he lived there (part time-less than 5 months 30 days)-that he had to pay taxes on his teacher retirement. They are looking at money ANYWHERE they can. Possibly screwing out of state retirees in the process.

I want to leave Minnesota when I retire.
[Reply]
scho63 08:20 AM 01-12-2020
My sister was a die-hard Democrat school teacher in NJ voting the party line and pushing for all the teacher raises that made property taxes in NJ the highest in the nation. She is retiring this year and has bought a house in a state where the taxes are MUCH lower and her pension won't be taxed. She'll be moving after this school year.

She became a Republican but she just didn't realize it........
[Reply]
Over Yonder 08:56 AM 01-12-2020
Originally Posted by D2112:
I understand what heís saying. And I understand where youíre coming from. Iím kind of in the same situation but on the east coast. Iím going to move eventually but for the time being Iím stuck here for the coin.
I am genuinely curious about this. Is it because folks like you guys have debt that is figured at the higher level income? Just to lay it on the table, I make $18.30/hr. I put about 40% of that in savings. Be it the 401k, IRA, simple savings account, whatever.

My house payment is $450/month. My vehicles are all paid for. I could pay my house payment by Thursday of the first week of the month if that is the route I chose. That doesn't figure in the wifes paycheck at all.

I'm trying to understand the reasoning or logic if you will. Why do the coasts have people strapped?
[Reply]
D2112 09:18 AM 01-12-2020
Originally Posted by Over Yonder:
I am genuinely curious about this. Is it because folks like you guys have debt that is figured at the higher level income? Just to lay it on the table, I make $18.30/hr. I put about 40% of that in savings. Be it the 401k, IRA, simple savings account, whatever.

My house payment is $450/month. My vehicles are all paid for. I could pay my house payment by Thursday of the first week of the month if that is the route I chose. That doesn't figure in the wifes paycheck at all.

I'm trying to understand the reasoning or logic if you will. Why do the coasts have people strapped?
Ok Iíve said this numerous times, but I can do it again. My house is paid off and it continues to increase in value. I live on a corner lot 0.38 of an acre. I pay $14,000 in property taxes a year. Add in another $1,000 a year for water and sewer. My truck is paid off and I have about 10 more years to go until I can retire. Thatís when Iím hoping to get out of here. Although things are getting
progressively worse every year.

I make good money and can comfortably afford this. I want to bank as much money as I can in the next 10 years before I escape. I could move now, but then Iíd be on a budget and Iím not sure if Iíd be able to make the same kind of money in another state. Especially where Iím thinking of going.
[Reply]
redshirt32 09:50 AM 01-12-2020
Dam 14k in property tax per year!
Property tax for 200k 3b 2b home in Ar around $150 a month.
[Reply]
GloucesterChief 10:04 AM 01-12-2020
The problem is that the people fleeing the hardcore blue states keep voting for the same things that made them flee their previous state in their current one.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:21 AM 01-12-2020
Originally Posted by 2bikemike:
As a Resident of California for the last 38 Years, I am about 5 1/2 Months from vacating the State. The reasons are many. But the 2 biggest reasons

1. Is that I feel unwelcome and I disagree with the direction the State is headed. I feel persecuted for wanting to exercise my 2nd amendment rights. Most of the legislation is anathema to my beliefs.

2. The High cost of living. Taxes are pretty bad and they are constantly trying to chip away at Prop 13 which is the last barrier protecting the tax payer. Property Taxes are manageable if you have owned your home a long time.

I will be able to leave and significantly enhance my retirement. I will miss the weather and the beauty of the State, but I will not miss the crowds and politics.
And I can guarantee that I will not be trying to change my chosen destination.


Why donít you tell us the real reason you want to leave?


Itís the same reason everyone leaves a place and has been that way forever.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 345 >
Up