ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Media Center>Star Wars post Skywalker
keg in kc 04:29 PM 01-05-2020
Project Luminous? Rumored to be Star Wars pre Skywalker era, but rather than Old Republic era it will be so-called High Republic, about 400 years before the Battle of Yavin (which means Yoda is alive...) and it may start with a video game next year before branching out into print, TV and eventually film. Basically sounds like, instead of doing trilogies, they're going to try to go the route of the MCU.

Couple different sources initially out with leaks about this yesterday, and it's starting to spread wider today.

https://makingstarwars.net/2020/01/t...-republic-era/
https://ziro.hu/english/exclusive-pr...-of-star-wars/
https://www.slashfilm.com/the-future...ct-luminosity/

If this is real it should be announced by Disney in the next few weeks. We shall see.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:00 PM 01-06-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
No one is getting burned out on Star Wars.

Everyone fucking LOVES The Mandalorian.

Star Wars done RIGHT, done BELIEVABLY and done with SKILL is still grandma's fucking pot roast nachos.
There's still a HUGE audience for Star Wars properties but it needs to be familiar for it to succeed moving forward.

Otherwise, it'll just be another Sci-Fi movie and most of those don't earn $1 billion or more at the box office.

The extremely low ratings for Star Wars: Resistance is proof-positive that the audience doesn't care much for the TFA era.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 04:05 PM 01-06-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Solo is the outlier there though. I thought it was good enough to get money, especially given what TLJ and ROS eventually netted at the box office. Solo looked and felt like Star Wars less force.

I'm guessing Solo didn't go because people were mad at TLJ.
TLJ had a major negative impact on Solo, with the internet in full opposition.

It didn't help that the standalone movie didn't feature Harrison Ford at any point, which was a major mistake on their part. They could have easily included Harrison Ford as Solo along with Chewie and even Lando reminiscing about their first encounter, which likely would have been enough to draw people to the theaters.

It just seems to me that KK and her team at Lucasfilm have zero understanding as to how and why people connected with the OT more than 40 years ago and continue to do so today.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 04:14 PM 01-06-2020
It's pretty clear that Disney's next step needs to be an animated film about post ROTJ events with Luke, Han and Leia.

Hell, shoot Shadows of the Empire with Sebastian Stan as Luke.

I'd personally LOVE to see some new actors try on those roles.
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 04:40 PM 01-06-2020
People love the Star Wars Universe and just want good stories in that setting.

People aren't burnt out on Star Wars, but nobody likes a shit movie. TFA looked like Star Wars, but was basically a shot for shot rehash of ANH with less interesting characters. TLJ was a shitfest with an entire sequence of shit CGI that looked like an ad for a ride at Disney World. And Seriously, Han dies and Leia consoles Rey, who knew him for like 5 minutes instead of Chewie who is standing right fucking there. Seriously?

Haven't seen the most recent. The characters are all pretty bland and it's obvious the people in charge don't know what the fuck they are doing.

Solo was a decent romp, but after The Last Shitfest, it's hard to blame people for taking a pass. I disagree with Dane on including Harrison Ford and doing a reminiscing flashback. Just no.

Rogue One was pretty good.

The Mandolorian is great. And doesn't include any Skywalkers or Solos. It's the universe. It's cool, and people enjoy seeing other parts of it and other cool characters. Other eras would be fine, again disagreeing with Dane, as long as it wasn't unrecognizably different. Tell good stories in a cool universe.

I don't think the world needs more Luke, Han and Leia. In fact, that ship has sailed imo. New characters are fine, just create good ones. The universe is cool, tell good stories in it.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:08 PM 01-06-2020
Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
Haven't seen the most recent. The characters are all pretty bland and it's obvious the people in charge don't know what the fuck they are doing.

Solo was a decent romp, but after The Last Shitfest, it's hard to blame people for taking a pass. I disagree with Dane on including Harrison Ford and doing a reminiscing flashback. Just no.
If Disney wanted to appeal to it fan base, omitting Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Williams was very bad idea.

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
Rogue One was pretty good.
Rogue One was excellent and IMO, the best Star Wars film since The Empire Strikes Back.

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
The Mandolorian is great.
I think The Mandalorian is okay. Not great, by any stretch, as too many times, the Chapters feel like they've been lifted directly from The Clone Wars Series.

If they can veer away from rehashed storytelling, the series may become great. But the only reason why people think it's so great is because it's not the sequel trilogy.

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
Other eras would be fine, again disagreeing with Dane, as long as it wasn't unrecognizably different. Tell good stories in a cool universe.
Which is exactly why I stated that a film series set 400 years prior to ANH sounds lame because it's been well documented that the Sith had been extinct for 1,000 years prior. So who are the bad guys? What are they fighting?

Without the Jedi vs. Sith, it's just a movie set in the Star Wars galaxy, which is exactly what Disney is doing with The Mandalorian.

Does that type of story necessitate a $250 million dollar budget and another $150 million in marketing? My answer would be no.


Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
I don't think the world needs more Luke, Han and Leia. In fact, that ship has sailed imo.
If Lucasfilm announced a film or trilogy featuring Han, Luke & Leia, the fan base would overwhelmingly approve, even with recasting the actors.

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
New characters are fine, just create good ones. The universe is cool, tell good stories in it.
Clearly, this is much easier said than done.
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:38 PM 01-06-2020
Fatigue is the wrong word for it. I believe the problem with the Star Wars Story movies was that they ended the concept that Star Wars movies were big events, that they were something special. There should never be more than one Star Wars film in a year, and there never should have been a non sequence movie in theaters before the end of the original saga. Obviously just my opinion, but both Solo and Rogue One felt like something...less, and I believe that's putting yourself behind the box office eight ball before the movie even hits theaters.

Pair that with the divisive nature and quality of the sequel trilogy films, and I think Star Wars as a brand needs some serious reclamation work. It's just not all that special right now, not any longer. The Mandalorian should have been the start of that rebuild, I think, and maybe it still will be, but the release of Rise of Skywalker inevitably cast somewhat of a shadow over it. Again, having two events happen basically concurrently takes something away from both (in this case probably ep 9, since the show was better and largely more anticipated...).

But The Mandalorian's second season will perhaps be more highly anticipated than anything on television this fall So minor quibble. I get having the launch the network, but having Mando release within weeks of episode 9 seemed like a dumb move.

But, to get back to my original point, they need to make the movies feel special again. Like TFA did, at least until we all saw it. So, at most, one movie a year, and maybe every two. And they need to connect, to move forward in a clear way, even if they aren't trilogies any longer. Having a bunch of anthology films centering around different individuals or groups will I think be a mistake, regardless of the time period. I get trying to do the MCU in a galaxy far, far away, but that's not what Star Wars have ever been. While there were ensembles, they are not ensemble films. They were 3 movies about Anakin, 3 movies about Luke and 3 movies about Rey. Or, rather, they should have been, if they'd done them right.

And I say the time period doesn't really matter. I don't think they have to be tied to the OT, or that time period. They just have to be good stories. But that's where my biggest worries lie. Everything we've seen since Disney bought out Lucas has had Kathleen Kennedy and unnamed Lucasfilm execs front and center telling filmmakers what to do, what direction to take. And what the sequel trilogy tells me is that those folks just don't understand how to make good Star Wars films.

I'm not saying the sequel trilogy is bad. I don't think it is. But the fact that I have to try so hard to find things I like and rationalize or dismiss things that I don't tells me it isn't good, either.

And I worry that, rather than a sign that things can head in the right direction, The Mandalorian is going to be the exception that proves the rule, and Star Wars just isn't going to be anything special anymore, aside from this one glimmer of light.

If we start seeing annual or mutiple-per-year Star Wars movies in 2022 and they all lead to this Jedi Assemble! moment somewhere down the line with Captain Alderaan and Beskar Man and a handsome Jedi with long blonde hair fighting against ancient Sith gods, then Star Wars as we know it is probably dead and buried.

That's what worries me. Star Wars is not the Marvel Universe. It should be something else, something grander, not the next set of cut and paste movies rolled off the assembly line, something that's completely lost the grandeur and scale of what the movies really were in the late 70s and early 80s.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 05:41 PM 01-06-2020
Beskar Man :-)

Let's be honest, that's what Phasma was.

CHROME TROOPER with....no character at all!
[Reply]
Beef Supreme 05:57 PM 01-06-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
If Disney wanted to appeal to it fan base, omitting Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Williams was very bad idea.
If Solo had come out right after Rogue One, and before The Last Shitfest, it probably would have been better received. Ford was done with Star Wars. He's been done for decades. It's a miracle they got him for one movie.

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Rogue One was excellent and IMO, the best Star Wars film since The Empire Strikes Back.
I'll give you that, but it didn't really feature sith or jedi. I thought that "didn't necessitate a $250 million dollar budget and another $150 million in marketing."

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I think The Mandalorian is okay. Not great, by any stretch, as too many times, the Chapters feel like they've been lifted directly from The Clone Wars Series.

If they can veer away from rehashed storytelling, the series may become great. But the only reason why people think it's so great is because it's not the sequel trilogy.
It's good TV. Maybe "great" is an overstatement, but it's the kind of shit I will continue to tune in for. If they can make it even better, outstanding. And people thinking it's great because it isn't the sequel trilogy sounds like a good reason to do more of that kind of shit with more new characters.

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Which is exactly why I stated that a film series set 400 years prior to ANH sounds lame because it's been well documented that the Sith had been extinct for 1,000 years prior. So who are the bad guys? What are they fighting?
I'm a self confessed geek, but I don't have the timeline memorized. I know there have been plenty of Star Wars stories from other eras in books and comics and video games, and some of them were actually pretty good. Other eras is fine, but if 400 years prior doesn't work for you, pick something else. I don't give a shit.

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Without the Jedi vs. Sith, it's just a movie set in the Star Wars galaxy, which is exactly what Disney is doing with The Mandalorian.

Does that type of story necessitate a $250 million dollar budget and another $150 million in marketing? My answer would be no.
See Rogue One. The "best film since Empire Strikes Back."

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
If Lucasfilm announced a film or trilogy featuring Han, Luke & Leia, the fan base would overwhelmingly approve, even with recasting the actors.
Sure, they would overwhelmingly approve when they announced it, then overwhelmingly tear it apart when it came out because it wasn't exactly how they imagined it.

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Clearly, this is much easier said than done.
Clearly.
[Reply]
keg in kc 05:58 PM 01-06-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Beskar Man :-)

Let's be honest, that's what Phasma was.

CHROME TROOPER with....no character at all!

That was such a JJ thing.

'You know what would be cool? A stormtrooper, but instead of white....SILVER!!!!'

And then KK steps in...

'Can we make it female? And in charge?'

There's actually a whole novel on her, which I have but never read, and it obviously had no real bearing on anything that happened in any movie.
[Reply]
keg in kc 06:05 PM 01-06-2020
Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
It's good TV. Maybe "great" is an overstatement, but it's the kind of shit I will continue to tune in for. If they can make it even better, outstanding. And people thinking it's great because it isn't the sequel trilogy sounds like a good reason to do more of that kind of shit with more new characters.
I got no problem calling it great.

I've seen it twice now, and I like it as much as or more than any of my other favorite recent shows, including The Witcher, The Expanse, Watchmen, and so on.

I think it's the best thing in Star Wars since 1980.

Although I still haven't seen Rise of Skywalker, so I can't really compare it to that...
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:13 PM 01-06-2020
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
That was such a JJ thing.

'You know what would be cool? A stormtrooper, but instead of white....SILVER!!!!'

And then KK steps in...

'Can we make it female? And in charge?'

There's actually a whole novel on her, which I have but never read, and it obviously had no real bearing on anything that happened in any movie.
JJ makes pretty things that are also incredibly dumb.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:41 PM 01-06-2020
Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
If Solo had come out right after Rogue One, and before The Last Shitfest, it probably would have been better received. Ford was done with Star Wars. He's been done for decades. It's a miracle they got him for one movie.
From my understanding, he spent quite a bit of time with Alden in prepping him for the role, so filming a quick cameo with less than 5 minutes of screen time would hardly have been an issue, especially since he's friends with Larry Kasdan.

To use an overused phrase, "It is what it is" and for me, it didn't matter whether he appeared or not, although I do think it would have had more draw and success had both Ford and Williams had cameos.

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
I'll give you that, but it didn't really feature sith or jedi. I thought that "didn't necessitate a $250 million dollar budget and another $150 million in marketing."
Disney didn't have high expectations for Rogue One and certainly didn't expect it to top the $1 Billion dollar mark. Of course, it falls under the category of "Films that didn't need to be made". But since it WAS made, I was in the theater the day before it opened wide and absolutely adore the movie, so much so, that I completely geeked out when running into Gareth Edwards. That's something I'd never done before, even when meeting George Lucas and Steven Spielberg for the first time. That movie was amazing to me.

And while it didn't feature Jedi or Sith as primary characters, Jedha was freaking awesome, as were the last 7 minutes of the film, which IMO is the best depiction of Vader to date.

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
It's good TV. Maybe "great" is an overstatement, but it's the kind of shit I will continue to tune in for. If they can make it even better, outstanding. And people thinking it's great because it isn't the sequel trilogy sounds like a good reason to do more of that kind of shit with more new characters.
I don't think anyone has issue with new characters within the already established universe (i.e., the OT era and slightly thereafter). Stepping hundreds of years outside that universe, in which there is no conflict between the Jedi and Sith, is where things get dicey. I just don't believe there's a billion dollar audience for such a movie at this point in time.

TV series? Sure! Go for it!

Originally Posted by Beef Supreme:
I'm a self confessed geek, but I don't have the timeline memorized. I know there have been plenty of Star Wars stories from other eras in books and comics and video games, and some of them were actually pretty good. Other eras is fine, but if 400 years prior doesn't work for you, pick something else. I don't give a shit.
The old EU is gone. No longer canon. Lucasfilm has been publishing games, comics and books since the acquisition and I've read none of them, so I have no idea whether or not they or certain characters would be good candidates for the big screen.

In regards to "400 years", that's the timeline reported in the thread starter, which is troubling since The Sith had been "extinct for 1,000 years". Dropping new characters and new worlds into the Star Wars galaxy at that time, which reported was a peaceful era, doesn't sound at all interesting to me and certainly doesn't sound like something that would appeal to the fan base on a large scale.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 06:48 PM 01-06-2020
17 days into the release, IX is trailing XII by almost $300m, and trailing the disaster that was XIII by over $65m, domestically. And that's despite it being a wrap up film. So, I'm not going to try telling Disney how to fix the broken abomination that they've created, since they clearly haven't bothered listening to the audience, but I'm sure that they know they've got some serious repair work to do. And, as long as they keep Kennedy in control of it, it's probably not going to get fixed. But, no matter what they do, they'll likely never get back what the original trilogy set in place for them. They squandered that.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:49 PM 01-06-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
JJ makes pretty things that are also incredibly dumb.
I know that you're hating on JJ over this film but keep in mind, he had 3 months less to write, shoot and edit RoS than TFA, which was less time than RJ had for TLJ.

Given the time restraints, it's a minor miracle that the film isn't a disaster of epic proportions.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:56 PM 01-06-2020
Trailing TLJ :-)

What a fail
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 456 >
Up