ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 27
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars Episode IX - SPOILER THREAD
DaneMcCloud 09:46 PM 12-17-2019
Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker had its premiere last night at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood. Non-Spoiler reviews and Twitter mentions are trickling out and they're overwhelmingly positive.

I'll be seeing the film Thursday night, 6:30pm PST but I'm not sure if I'll have time to post because we're traveling for the holidays, leaving at 4am the next morning. If I can't post Thursday evening, I'll get to it at some point over the weekend, maybe after I've seen it a second time.

It's a Spoiler thread but let's try to keep the real spoilery stuff in the Spoiler Tags through the weekend, just so we don't ruin the movie for someone that accidentally clicks on the thread.

Let's hear it! :-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:59 PM 12-22-2019
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
There was no way to repair the whole thing after TLJ. It's a damn shame
I disagree 100% - Abrams just got lazy.

A creative screenwriter could have created a believable plot, with Kylo as the bad guy, eventually feeling conflicted because of Leia's death, and unable to control the monster of the First Order he had created.

You already have the setup there with Hux hating Kylo and wanting him out.

First Order turns on Kylo, he turns back to the lightside, teams with up with Rey and sacrifices himself for the good of the galaxy, since he's basically unredeemable anyway (audience would never buy it).

In the hands of a competent writer you can spin that into a satisfying ending.

Unfortunately it was in the hands of Jar Jar fucking Abrams, who gave us PALPS BACK NO EXPLANATION AND LOL THEIR FLEET COULDN'T TAKE OFF IN TIME
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:01 PM 12-22-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Ok, no to all of that. I think Rey took the Skywalker name on her own at the end, that's all. I didn't understand the question, lol
its confusing as all hell. For two years or more people wanted to know who Reye’s parents were.

Kylo says they were nobodies

Pallantine says Rey is the daughter of his son. Definitely not a nobody even if he rejected Dad. Even if it was a clone or DNA splicing/experminting thing, Rey still has to have female DNA to exist as a human being.

We deserved to know at the end. Ohhhh well we will just let her call herself a Skywalker and be done with this question?
[Reply]
KC_Connection 02:06 PM 12-22-2019
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
There was no way to repair the whole thing after TLJ. It's a damn shame
TLJ was a fine movie on the whole. It was Disney giving in to the vocal minority of critics of TLJ that led to TROS and its absurd plot.

The fact that they did that only gives those people more power too, so I'd imagine this won't be the last property that Disney will destroy.
[Reply]
Bowser 02:10 PM 12-22-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
its confusing as all hell. For two years or more people wanted to know who Reye’s parents were.

Kylo says they were nobodies

Pallantine says Rey is the daughter of his son. Definitely not a nobody even if he rejected Dad. Even if it was a clone or DNA splicing/experminting thing, Rey still has to have female DNA to exist as a human being.

We deserved to know at the end. Ohhhh well we will just let her call herself a Skywalker and be done with this question?
Kylo explained it, actually - her parents worked at being nobodies so they wouldn't be recognized as Palpatine's family.
[Reply]
Bowser 02:12 PM 12-22-2019
I'm going to have to see it again to get a better feel on how I feel about it. Right now it felt like a rushed fan service mess.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:16 PM 12-22-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Kylo explained it, actually - her parents worked at being nobodies so they wouldn't be recognized as Palpatine's family.
they may have been in hiding as nobodies. But Kylie would have known its Palestine’s son. Maybe the son married a nobody. But..... no way, no how can any reasonable person say Rey’s parents are nobodies when one is the son and heir to the emperor.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 02:36 PM 12-22-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
they may have been in hiding as nobodies. But Kylie would have known its Palestine’s son. Maybe the son married a nobody. But..... no way, no how can any reasonable person say Rey’s parents are nobodies when one is the son and heir to the emperor.
Yes, it's very stupid.

Try not to think about it too much.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:51 PM 12-22-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Pretty sure you mean "yipeeeeeeeeeee!"

I actually buy the "adopted" Skywalker ending, I quite like it...but making her a Palpatine doesn't jive.

They should have stuck with the "you're nobody" narrative instead of trying to awkwardly shoehorn her into an existing family...it just makes everything too convoluted and unbelievable...especially seeing as how randomly selected force sensitive people seem to be, anyway.
There were so many different ways to go with Rey’s heritage, whether she was a Skywalker or even a Kenobi but a Palpatine? It makes zero sense.

We have plans to see it again this week and maybe I’ll be able to enjoy it more on a second viewing but I don’t think that the choices JJ made will ever be justified.

Ultimately, the Skywalker story ended with Return of the Jedi, not with RoS.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:16 PM 12-22-2019
The idea of Kylo being turned on by the First Order actually quite appeals to me in a "Napoleon exiled to Elba" sort of way.

And yes, he's super powerful, but surround him with 50 stormtroopers and a bunch of Walkers and it would be entirely believable.

Far more believable than LOL HEY ITS PALPS FOR NO REASON
[Reply]
Chiefspants 03:49 PM 12-22-2019
I was bummed they didn’t bring Mace Windu and Count Dooku back too.

I mean, why not, right?
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:51 PM 12-22-2019
Star Wars: Newly-Found After-Death Note From Carrie Fisher Shared By Her Brother

Originally Posted by :
“I am dead. How are you? I’ll see you soon … I would call and tell you what this is like, but there is no reception up here. Cut. New scene, new setup, new heavenly location. I have finally got the part that I have been rehearsing for all my life. God gave me the part. This is the end of the road I have been touring on all my life."

[Reply]
ScareCrowe 09:47 AM 12-23-2019
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
I disagree 100% - Abrams just got lazy.

A creative screenwriter could have created a believable plot, with Kylo as the bad guy, eventually feeling conflicted because of Leia's death, and unable to control the monster of the First Order he had created.

You already have the setup there with Hux hating Kylo and wanting him out.

First Order turns on Kylo, he turns back to the lightside, teams with up with Rey and sacrifices himself for the good of the galaxy, since he's basically unredeemable anyway (audience would never buy it).

In the hands of a competent writer you can spin that into a satisfying ending.

Unfortunately it was in the hands of Jar Jar fucking Abrams, who gave us PALPS BACK NO EXPLANATION AND LOL THEIR FLEET COULDN'T TAKE OFF IN TIME
While I didn't like Palpatine being brought back either, I don't think Kylo as the bad guy would have worked. There's no sense of danger from Kylo as Rey had beaten him before she ever trained. Now after having time to train we're somehow supposed to feel a sense of danger when she goes to fight someone she's already beaten.

That basic plot would have worked well. (and honestly that's pretty close to the plot we got, Kylo turned back to fight the Final Order monster he created by joining with Palpatine) The problem is there has to be someone left to fight that provides some sense of danger against Rey & Ben, who have been shown to both be very powerful force users. Snoke would have worked well, but Rian Johnson took care of that. JJ could have set Kylo up better by not having him defeated by someone who'd never used a lightsaber, so he's not blameless either. But the plot specifically with Kylo turning requires there to be a threat for them to face together that doesn't feel like a forgone conclusion.

There were no characters that feel like they could reasonably fight Rey & Ben. Hux was painted as completely ineffectual, allowing Poe to stall him leading to a dreadnought being destroyed & the rebels to escape on their low speed chase in the first place. Now we're supposed to feel danger from him leading the First Order? So you're left with bringing back an existing character like Palpatine or create a new big bad and somehow establish them as a threat and be destroyed all in one movie.

I really wonder what Rian Johnson had planned as a 3rd film after TLJ. Where he left off with TLJ definitely left whoever directed episode IX in a difficult position. I mentioned the other day (in a different thread) I rewatched TLJ & it actually isn't as bad as I had built it up into my head. As a standalone film it wasn't bad. It just doesn't work as act 2 of a trilogy IMO
[Reply]
notorious 10:03 AM 12-23-2019
Red Letter Media thought that Palpatine was a clone in Return of the Jedi, that would explain why he is still alive.

Makes sense.

I haven't even watched the movie yet. :-)
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:58 PM 12-23-2019

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 01:01 PM 12-23-2019

[Reply]
Page 9 of 27
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Up