ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Trump's Secretary of Agriculture Jokes About Whining Farmers
NinerDoug 05:49 PM 08-12-2019
:-)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tr...cid=spartandhp

Trump's Secretary of Agriculture Tells Joke About Whining Farmers to Room Full of Farmers, Gets Boo'd

President Donald Trump's Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue cracked a joke that American farmers "whine" about Trump's trade war with China and got laughs as he intended but also boo's from audience members that seemingly found it insensitive.

"I had a farmer tell me this in Pennsylvania," Perdue said at a farm show in Minnesota last Wednesday, according to Agri-Pulse. "He said, 'What do you call two farmers in a basement?' I said 'I don't know, what do you call them?'"

Perdue said the farmer said: "A whine cellar."


There was laughter but boo's came as some members of the crowd did not find Perdue's joke funny, just two days after China declared it would no longer buy any American agricultural products to hit back at Trump for imposing an additional 10 percent tariff on Chinese goods.

Perdue made the joke at the end of a back-and-forth with farmer Mike Peterson of Northfield, Minnesota. Peterson said that a June Acreage report by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)'s National Agricultural Statistics Service was "speculative," which Perdue denied by saying the officials "are professional." Petersen then complained that the data has been released several weeks after farmers were surveyed and joked, "the show American Idol can tabulate how many votes in the course of an episode?"

Trump's tariffs on China have led to farmers filing bankruptcy at never-before-seen rates.

Minnesota Corn Growers Association President Brian Thalmann said farm producers are not "starting to do great again" and that "things are going downhill very quickly."

American Soybean Association member Joel Schreurs expressed concern about export markets with the ongoing trade war and predicted the markets are "just not going to come back in a day or two."

But Perdue stood by Trump's pressure on China and belief that the United States will come out on top in the end.

"China is going to buy where they see the best value, when we get the trade resolution done," Perdue said. "We're working on markets in India, Thailand, Indonesia, and Malaysia to develop other markets."

Farmers in other states have cast similar frustration with the president's trade war.

"It's really, really getting bad out here," longtime North Dakota farmer Bob Kuylen told CNBC on Saturday. "Trump is ruining our markets. No one is buying our product no more, and we have no markets no more."

The USDA did not immediately respond to a request for comment from Newsweek Monday regarding Perdue's joke.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 06:48 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by stevieray:
^deflection^
^TDS^
[Reply]
stevieray 08:02 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
^TDS^
^tapout^
[Reply]
Mr. Kotter 08:35 PM 08-13-2019
Heh...next?


[Reply]
Fish 09:43 PM 08-13-2019
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Meanwhile in Eastern Iowa we have one hell of a crop of weeds growing because farmers couldn't plant before June 1st.

Heres the deal.

Yeah, I get it, the Trump trade war sucks. Makes like uncertain. Shits not easy anymore.

But you know how trade wars end? With GIANT trade deals. I expect to see China and the US make some huge agreement around harvest, about 12 months before the election.

Until then just setback in that 70k pickup and relax.
The reason the market currently sucks is because of projections of how unlikely that is to actually happen. Bankruptcies have actually increased quite a bit over the last few years: https://www.agriculture.com/news/bus...s-report-shows
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:59 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by stevieray:
^tapout^
You never answered the question about "irony".
[Reply]
Shaid 01:27 PM 08-14-2019
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Meanwhile in Eastern Iowa we have one hell of a crop of weeds growing because farmers couldn't plant before June 1st.

Heres the deal.

Yeah, I get it, the Trump trade war sucks. Makes like uncertain. Shits not easy anymore.

But you know how trade wars end? With GIANT trade deals. I expect to see China and the US make some huge agreement around harvest, about 12 months before the election.

Until then just setback in that 70k pickup and relax.
I hope for the farmers sake that is true. I expect some small adjustments that will be touted as huge wins and ultimately will just show that the US can't really afford to play hardball in the future. I hope that's not the case. Small farmers are a dying breed.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 12:31 PM 01-14-2020
https://markets.businessinsider.com/...0-1-1028815780

Wisconsin shed 10% of its dairy farmers last year, data from the state's Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection shows.

It marked the biggest one-year drop on record, and underscored the negative impact of Trump's trade war on a swing state critical to his re-election bid.

In 2019, Wisconsin lost 819 dairy farms, the department said, leaving 7,292 dairy farms in place. The state leads the nation in the number of farm bankruptcies, according to the American Farm Bureau.

After Trump launched his trade war against China and other friendly nations in 2018, China responded by slapping hundreds of billions of dollars worth of tariffs on American products.

Last year, China slashed its purchases of American dairy products by 50%. Combined with falling milk prices, the trade war has thrown many farmers out of business. The economic environment has worsened considerably for small dairy farms in particular.
[Reply]
Marcellus 12:39 PM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by :
Dow Jones Industrial Average Index
Index: DJI January 14, 1:36 PM EST
29,053.21
▲ 146.16 (0.51%)
.
[Reply]
F150 12:45 PM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
https://markets.businessinsider.com/...0-1-1028815780

Wisconsin shed 10% of its dairy farmers last year, data from the state's Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection shows.

It marked the biggest one-year drop on record, and underscored the negative impact of Trump's trade war on a swing state critical to his re-election bid.

In 2019, Wisconsin lost 819 dairy farms, the department said, leaving 7,292 dairy farms in place. The state leads the nation in the number of farm bankruptcies, according to the American Farm Bureau.

After Trump launched his trade war against China and other friendly nations in 2018, China responded by slapping hundreds of billions of dollars worth of tariffs on American products.

Last year, China slashed its purchases of American dairy products by 50%. Combined with falling milk prices, the trade war has thrown many farmers out of business. The economic environment has worsened considerably for small dairy farms in particular.

Well not really.

Milk production exceeds demand in a major way. Small folks are being squeezed out (that happens)

Milk processing is in major consolidation and is becoming largely a walmart driven business with them building their own processing plant...that led to Dean foods declaring Bankruptcy and recently Bordens filed for reorganization....all have zero to do with China.
[Reply]
Merde Furieux 12:46 PM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
https://markets.businessinsider.com/...0-1-1028815780

Wisconsin shed 10% of its dairy farmers last year, data from the state's Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection shows.

It marked the biggest one-year drop on record, and underscored the negative impact of Trump's trade war on a swing state critical to his re-election bid.

In 2019, Wisconsin lost 819 dairy farms, the department said, leaving 7,292 dairy farms in place. The state leads the nation in the number of farm bankruptcies, according to the American Farm Bureau.

After Trump launched his trade war against China and other friendly nations in 2018, China responded by slapping hundreds of billions of dollars worth of tariffs on American products.

Last year, China slashed its purchases of American dairy products by 50%. Combined with falling milk prices, the trade war has thrown many farmers out of business. The economic environment has worsened considerably for small dairy farms in particular.
Because all you soy boys stopped drinking milk.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 12:49 PM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by Reerun_KC:
Paging Buehler_445. You whinnying bitch.
Well, to be honest, Buehler was whining about Trump's trade war with China.
No disrespect to Buehler by my bringing this up.

T'is expected when any demographic feels the economic pinch from a govt policy.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 12:52 PM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by NinerDoug:
:-)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tr...cid=spartandhp

Trump's Secretary of Agriculture Tells Joke About Whining Farmers to Room Full of Farmers, Gets Boo'd
Where is EmojiMania to point out that this was reported back in August 2019?

Or was that NinerDoug who points out such dates when the right uses them?
[Reply]
NinerDoug 01:01 PM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by Merde Furieux:
Because all you soy boys stopped drinking milk.
Everybody needs milk.

No wait . . .

Milk has something for everybody.

That one is still true I guess.

For myself, I love cheese.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 01:03 PM 01-14-2020
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Where is EmojiMania to point out that this was reported back in August 2019?

Or was that NinerDoug who points out such dates when the right uses them?
Well, the date on the OP is August, 2019, so . . . ?
[Reply]
petegz28 01:09 PM 01-14-2020
someone said something
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up