ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 10
« First < 34567 8910 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Whitney Houston makes the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame!....uh....WTF?
Deberg_1990 02:08 PM 01-15-2020
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...143443193.html

This year’s six inductees for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame were announced Wednesday morning, and they are Whitney Houston, Depeche Mode, the Notorious B.I.G., Nine Inch Nails, the Doobie Brothers, and T. Rex.
Notably absent from the Class of 2020, however, was Pat Benatar.

The fact that Benatar — one of the most successful female artists of the 1980s, who undoubtedly set the template for female hard rock singers at a time when few female hard rock singers had a presence on the charts or at rock radio — had never been nominated before had been a subject of annual Hall protest. She was widely predicted to be a lock this year, especially considering that last year’s inductee, Janet Jackson, had implored in her Rock Hall acceptance speech to thunderous applause: “Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, please, 2020: Induct more women!” (Only three female artists total were on this year’s Hall ballot, the other two being Houston and passed-over four-time nominee Rufus featuring Chaka Khan. Women make up less than 8 percent of all Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Inductees.)

Benatar actually came in second in this year’s online Fan Vote. Also not making the Class of 2020 cut were the Dave Matthews Band, who actually topped the Fan Vote by a wide margin. (It is noteworthy that the seven previous winners of the Fan Vote had all been inducted in their years).
Along with Benatar, hard/classic rock in general was passed over, with nominees Motörhead, Thin Lizzy, Todd Rundgren, the MC5, and two other artists that made the top five of the Fan Vote, Judas Priest and Soundgarden, all not getting in.

It was also interesting that six-time nominees Kraftwerk were passed over in favor of their logical successors Depeche Mode and Nine Inch Nails, since it could easily be argued that all electronic music can be traced back in some way to the German techno pioneers.
[Reply]
007 09:01 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by F150:
Pat Benetar gets passed over.

So fuck it.
Pretty much
[Reply]
kcxiv 09:03 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
This is the future kcxiv wants:

why because i think music legends should be inducted? ok then! i dont even know who that is?? I dont listen to much new music at all, im stuck in the 90's.
[Reply]
kcxiv 09:06 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
If that’s how you feel, I hope Adele gets in before the Deftones :-)
she probably will. I wont lose any sleep over it. I still listen to deftones on the daily, that wont change.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 09:23 PM 01-15-2020
Whitney was the greatest singers in modern history
[Reply]
Frazod 09:25 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Whitney was the greatest singers in modern history
So what? She didn't sing rock songs.

Johnny Cash is in as well. He didn't sing rock songs.

Putting these people in the ROCK AND ROLL Hall of Fame is like putting Walter Payton in Cooperstown.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 09:25 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
This is the future kcxiv wants:

So typical.

I just threw up in my mouf a little bit.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 09:27 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:

Putting these people in the ROCK AND ROLL Hall of Fame is like putting Walter Payton in Cooperstown.
Johnny Cash IS rock and roll. "Folsom Prison Blues", "Cocaine Blues", "A Boy Named Sue", "Get Rhythm"...

And that's BEFORE he covered "Rusty Cage" by Soungarden and "Hurt" by NIN and had Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers as his backing band on an album...
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 09:29 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:

How she influenced music, she is very worthy. Hell she made Dolly Parton's." You always love me" an everlasting hit
[Reply]
Frazod 09:31 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by rabblerouser:
Johnny Cash IS rock and roll. "Folsom Prison Blues", "Cocaine Blues", "A Boy Named Sue", "Get Rhythm"...

And that's BEFORE he covered "Rusty Cage" by Soungarden and "Hurt" by NIN and had Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers as his backing band on an album...
Yeah, nothing screams Rock and Roll quite like A Boy Named Sue. :-)
[Reply]
Frazod 09:34 PM 01-15-2020
How she influenced music, she is very worthy. Hell she made Dolly Parton's." You always love me" an everlasting hit
Well shit, let's drop Dolly in as well.

BTW, the song is called "I Will Always Love You."

And it's rock in much the same way a lobster is a mammal.
[Reply]
KurtCobain 09:34 PM 01-15-2020
Did dude really put Beck in his top ten rappers or am I that tired?
[Reply]
stevieray 09:34 PM 01-15-2020
pshaw

Dolly's version is bad ass. Besides, she WROTE it.

Whitney covering it is a compliment to Dolly, not the other way around.
[Reply]
F150 09:37 PM 01-15-2020

Well wow, wrong name and a cover.

But yer a music guy, rite?
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 09:38 PM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by stevieray:
pshaw

Dolly's version is bad ass. Besides, she WROTE it.

Whitney covering it is a compliment to Dolly, not the other way around.
I never knew existed until Whitney sung it with her arrangement.
[Reply]
KurtCobain 09:38 PM 01-15-2020
Does Beck even consider himself a rapper? Putting him on a rapper list is like putting BIG in a rock n roll Hall of Fame. Oh, wait...
[Reply]
Page 7 of 10
« First < 34567 8910 >
Up