ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 45 of 324
« First < 354142434445 464748495595145 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
Chiefnj2 07:02 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by wheeler08:
Maybe this has been asked, but I’ve had a hard time keeping up with every page...Do you think he will bring in a whole new staff, or does everyone get to keep their job on the shitty defensive staff?
My own personal opinion is that there is zero reason to keep the DB coaches. There was so much confusion and breakdowns in coverage. How does some of that responsibility not fall on the position coaches?

If they switch to a 4-3 you would expect a change in LB coaches and DL coaches, but I doubt Andy fires his son.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:05 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
My own personal opinion is that there is zero reason to keep the DB coaches. There was so much confusion and breakdowns in coverage. How does some of that responsibility not fall on the position coaches?

If they switch to a 4-3 you would expect a change in LB coaches and DL coaches, but I doubt Andy fires his son.
DB coaches for SURE. I'm sure Britt stays around in some capacity, but Andy can find something for him to do.

Mike Smith might be worth keeping around at a position group, he's done DL and OLB'ers.

My hope is that he cleans house, but we'll have to see who's available. This is where your 'bright young minds' come into play, although they won't yet be the well known Richards and Hewitts.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 07:07 AM 01-25-2019
The Chiefs are in a tough spot on defense.

Despite being 100% outcoached by the Pats on all sides of the ball in the first half of the AFCG, the Chiefs were (choose your poison) an offsides, or a 3rd down conversion, or a Mahomes pass to Williams,or play the safeties up 5 yards away from the Super Bowl.

If you are that close, do you really blow up the D and change schemes? Or, is it better to just tweak the 3-4?
[Reply]
wheeler08 07:17 AM 01-25-2019

Despite being 100% outcoached by the Pats on all sides of the ball in the first half of the AFCG, the Chiefs were (choose your poison) an offsides, or a 3rd down conversion, or a Mahomes pass to Williams,or play the safeties up 5 yards away from the Super Bowl.

If you are that close, do you really blow up the D and change schemes? Or, is it better to just tweak the 3-4?
Seriously? You can’t judge the defense by a couple of what ifs. They fucking sucked all season, or every playoff game in past 5 years, except for the Colts, I don’t know how that rabbit got pulled out. Blow it up
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 07:23 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by wheeler08:
Seriously? You can’t judge the defense by a couple of what ifs. They ****ing sucked all season, or every playoff game in past 5 years, except for the Colts, I don’t know how that rabbit got pulled out. Blow it up
Did they suck because it was a 3-4? Or, did they suck because they spent half the season with Parker and Scandrick? Or, because Sutton wasn't aggressive? Or, because Sutton still had the safeties playing back in a Tampa 2 shell and even though Brady kept going back to the same hole in the middle play after play after play?
[Reply]
staylor26 07:27 AM 01-25-2019

Some of you talk about moving from a 3-4 to a 4-3 like it’s 10 years ago. We will be in nickel much more often than we will be in “base”.

This isn’t going to be as drastic as you think in that sense. Also, several of our guys will benefit from the move as they’re better fits in a 4-3.
[Reply]
FringeNC 07:43 AM 01-25-2019

Fair point. If it were just the Pats game and his six year regular season run, maybe you keep him. But so many bad playoff performances, Sutton had to GTFO. The thing about it that's tough to swallow is that he should have been fired last year after that playoff debacle.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 07:46 AM 01-25-2019
Don't know enough about him, I'll reserve judgment (for now).
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 07:49 AM 01-25-2019
Some of you guys are overthinking this. Again, this change was s much less about schemes and more so about how will Spags develop, game plan, adjust mid game, and push players to play with intensity. That’s where we need change most. Scheme is irrelevant because we didn’t do most of those things listed above ever under Sutton the past couple years.
[Reply]
Rasputin 08:00 AM 01-25-2019
Can Tom Coughlin join him and take over HC duties on AFC Championship games against the Patriots?
[Reply]
staylor26 08:07 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by KC Tattoo:
Can Tom Coughlin join him and take over HC duties on AFC Championship games against the Patriots?
Yea because Reid is why we lost to the Pats :-)
[Reply]
Rasputin 08:13 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:

My comment has more to do with Tom Coughlin beating the Patriots twice in the Super Bowl with Steve Spagnoulo as DC but really there is blame at Andy Reids feet for this loss the game plan in the first half didn't deliver. A lot of blame can go around and no way should Reid be exempt from any of the blame.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 08:14 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
Some of you guys are overthinking this. Again, this change was s much less about schemes and more so about how will Spags develop, game plan, adjust mid game, and push players to play with intensity. That’s where we need change most. Scheme is irrelevant because we didn’t do most of those things listed above ever under Sutton the past couple years.
Again Spags has nothing is his career to make you think he can do this on anything remotely close to a consistent basis
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 08:16 AM 01-25-2019
Not this stupid "play with intensity" and "bring an attitude" bullshit.

Reminds me of Gunther fans pimping that bloviating jackass.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 08:18 AM 01-25-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
The offense certainly didn't help the defense in the first half.

First drive -11 yards and only 2:22 off the clock.
2nd drive 3 and out 1:40 of the clock killed.
3rd drive 7 plays and a punt.

The D was on its heels from the get go but the offense certainly didn't help them get a breather in the first 30 minutes.
[Reply]
Page 45 of 324
« First < 354142434445 464748495595145 > Last »
Up