ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 70 of 163
« First < 20606667686970 7172737480120 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Hunting type things.....
Iowanian 02:27 PM 10-02-2003
Its fall. Bow season has opened in at least Missouri and Iowania. I thought we could discuss related topics. Tips, braggin', near misses....

relay your hunting stories, pics and tips here.

anti hunting types.....find another corner to squat in.
[Reply]
Chiefnj2 10:43 AM 10-28-2011
Iowanian is talking about EHD.

EHD virus is transmitted by biting midges. The disease is common in the southern portion of the country where the deer have developed an immunity to the virus. It’s believed that the 1999 outbreak was caused when midges were transported from the southern portion of the country by Hurricane Floyd.

The disease is not always fatal. On a national level it is recurrent in many states and usually affects fewer than 25 percent of the overall deer population in those states. EHD does not effect humans, and there is no vaccine against the virus. However, the deer may develop secondary infections in their hooves which can leave the deer emaciated and lame.
[Reply]
Iowanian 11:22 AM 10-28-2011
Upon Further review......and It should have been obvious....The deer my brother killed this morning...is THE deer. The big kahuna I laid in the snow trying to get a shot at on the last day of bow season last year.

G2's are 15 3/4"....but one had changed a lot and grew extra stickers
[Reply]
Sofa King 12:03 PM 10-28-2011
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
Upon Further review......and It should have been obvious....The deer my brother killed this morning...is THE deer. The big kahuna I laid in the snow trying to get a shot at on the last day of bow season last year.

G2's are 15 3/4"....but one had changed a lot and grew extra stickers
Holy crap.

Get some pictures of the beast.
[Reply]
Sofa King 12:27 PM 10-28-2011
SD Hunters Asked To Report Signs Of Deer Disease
Published: October 27, 2011, 6:50 AM

RAPID CITY, SD - South Dakota wildlife officials are asking hunters to watch for and report signs of disease in white-tailed deer.

Game, Fish and Parks officials say they have confirmed a few cases of the disease known as EHD that's transmitted by midges and is deadly to white-tailed deer. Biologists are trying to determine the extent of the disease in South Dakota.

There have been outbreaks of EHD in other states this year, including North Dakota and Montana. In North Dakota, it prompted wildlife officials earlier this month to suspend the sale of some hunting licenses and offer refunds to the holders of thousands more.

Wildlife biologist Steve Griffin in Rapid City says the main South Dakota counties affected so far appear to be Sully, Hughes, Stanley, Jones, Lyman and Tripp.
[Reply]
Gonzo 12:47 PM 10-28-2011
I was out hunting a few days ago, had a doe walk by me. She had some issues... Her jowls were swollen badly, (about the size of a baseball). My dad called the DOW-NE and told them about it. Apparently that's not a sign of Chronic Wasting or anything but I know I'm not shooting her. Felt bad for her but she was eating and drinking ok so maybe she'll be ok. T'was pretty gross though.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Sofa King 12:49 PM 10-28-2011
Originally Posted by Gonzo:
I was out hunting a few days ago, had a doe walk by me. She had some issues... Her jowls were swollen badly, (about the size of a baseball). My dad called the DOW-NE and told them about it. Apparently that's not a sign of Chronic Wasting or anything but I know I'm not shooting her. Felt bad for her but she was eating and drinking ok so maybe she'll be ok. T'was pretty gross though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Shoot her and bury her in a hole.

Anything i see that looks like it's completely fucked up and suffering i blast and get rid of her. Usually a couple running around after rifle season.
[Reply]
kstater 01:01 PM 10-28-2011
Was out doing some scouting this morning. I'm on a giant(for around here). Saw a rub on a 6-8" tree, rubbed all the way around the thing.
[Reply]
Iowanian 01:05 PM 10-28-2011
Here is a trailcam pic of the deer last year. the G2 on the left side is now split at the top and has 3-4 kickers coming off of it.

One of the cool side notes is we took 3 of my young nephews out with us this morning and started teaching them how to track a deer, blood trail, what different colors of blood mean, and they were like little hound dogs finding spots of blood. That was fun for me to see.

please don't quote as I will be removing this photo. May upload a current pic when I get one, but he won't want it here so it will be removed as well.

Here is the Big Kahuna...
[Reply]
Sofa King 01:09 PM 10-28-2011
That's a badass looking buck. G2 looks like a serrated knife.
[Reply]
Iowanian 01:12 PM 10-28-2011
That's the one that is split about 2/3 the way up now and there are multiple kickers coming off of it. The buck has 5 more scorable points this year than it did last year. It took a little bit to figure out it was the same buck, but it definitely is the same one.
[Reply]
Gonzo 01:17 PM 10-28-2011
Shit, I'm just happy that tomorrow's opening day for ring-necks. I went last week for the Indian rez season. Birds are few and far between up there right now. I'm going to hit some Ducks Unlimited properties this weekend, should limit out in a few hours. It's always good out there early in the season.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Dunit35 10:39 AM 10-29-2011
Black powder deer tomorrow for me. I've never been hunting or shot a black powder rifle before. Actually, bought my first license today.
[Reply]
Boise_Chief 10:52 AM 10-29-2011
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
We had something come through a few years ago that killed alot of deer that people called blue tongue. I think it's a sheep disease. Some kind of black flies that hang out near water, or gnat or something bites them, spreads the disease. Their tongues swell and they can't drink so you find piles of them near water.

It killed some really big deer in this area a few years ago...Keep that shit to yourself, we don't need it again.

We had a bad outbreak in the Clearwater Valley area of N. Idaho about 7 years ago. It has taken until this year to recover from it. I believe it is related to scrappie in sheep. I quit hunting that year after finding dead deer in every draw and field.
[Reply]
Boise_Chief 10:58 AM 10-29-2011
In other news Both of my boys harvested their first deer this year on the same morning. Nothing special but both were nice meat deer.
Attached: 4-879526BF-1201365-480.jpg (43.0 KB) 
2-CA4815FF-1720955-480.jpg (4.7 KB) 
[Reply]
Dunit35 04:13 PM 10-30-2011
I missed my first doe. It was 100 yards away slowly walking and I missed with a black powder rifle. My 1st time hunting and I was so jacked up when I saw it that I forgot to calm down before shooting.
[Reply]
Page 70 of 163
« First < 20606667686970 7172737480120 > Last »
Up