ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 65 of 3903
« First < 15556162636465 66676869751151655651065 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
njchiefs 03:11 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Maybe right a little panic wouldn't be the worst thing if it gets people to wash their hands more and be a little more cautious.
Over 6 trillion dollars were “erased” from the stock markets due to the Corona virus fears. Can you imagine if 6 trillion dollars were infused into the health care system, how many would benefit? So yes, wash your hands, but “panic” affects us adversely in many ways.
[Reply]
BWillie 03:11 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by philfree:
The wife and I are scheduled to go to PCB Florida next week. The only state between here and there that has the virus is Tennessee and then of course Florida. We will stay at Graceland in Memphis and then the Renaissance Hotel in Montgomery Alabama. When we get to PCB we'll be staying in a beach side condo. Most of this is already paid for so if we cancel our trip we're going to be out a lot of money. I'm looking everyday for new outbreaks as I try and decide what to do. The wife has COPD. Should we stay or do we go?
Every single state has it. We just don't know about it yet.
[Reply]
philfree 03:17 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Every single state has it. We just don't know about it yet.
Yeah that's prolly so! I should have said reported virus.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 03:41 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by FD:
Too many people are panicking and that is unnecessary and unhelpful, but at the same time there is a big difference between the best-case and worst-case scenarios here. The difference is whether a couple thousand people die or 100,000+ people die. That to me is worth taking seriously, meaning stop treating this as a PR issue that will burn itself out and work to get on top of it before it gets out of control.
The seasonal flu this season has killed at least 12,000 people in the US (from October 1, 2019 through February 1, 2020).

31 million Americans were infected by the seasonal flu during that same time-frame and 210,000 to 370,000 had to be hospitalized from complications related to the flu.

Again this is all from the seasonal or "regular" flu that doesn't have the ominous "COVID-19" branding and therefore doesn't have the panic-inducing headlines in the media.

The worst thing about the COVID-19 "epidemic" to-date is the unnecessary hysteria.
[Reply]
Donger 03:47 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88:
The seasonal flu this season has killed at least 12,000 people in the US (from October 1, 2019 through February 1, 2020).

31 million Americans were infected by the seasonal flu during that same time-frame and 210,000 to 370,000 had to be hospitalized from complications related to the flu.

Again this is all from the seasonal or "regular" flu that doesn't have the ominous "COVID-19" branding and therefore doesn't have the panic-inducing headlines in the media.

The worst thing about the COVID-19 "epidemic" to-date is the unnecessary hysteria.
They aren't really comparable. That's an influenza mortality rate of 0.00038% COVID-19 is being estimated at 3.4%
[Reply]
patteeu 03:51 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by philfree:
Here in Greene County Mo they have tested some people and the test came back negative but they are watching 5 people. There has been one death of an elderly man in the Florida Panhandle. Santa Rosa County which is between Ft Walton and Pensacola. He had been out of the country but they didn't/wouldn't say where.
The official statistics don’t really make much difference since testing has been so minimal.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 03:56 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
They aren't really comparable. That's an influenza mortality rate of 0.00038% COVID-19 is being estimated at 3.4%
12,000+ have died in the US from the seasonal/"regular" flu this year.

19 have died from COVID-19.

But continue panic-buying your toilet paper, Clorox wipes, etc.
[Reply]
Third Eye 04:08 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
It’s been said 100 times in this thread, but you are conflating mortality rates with case fatality rates. Additionally, that 3.4% is absolute worst case at this early stage and widely known to be overstated considering it doesn’t take into account cases that are undiagnosed. I would bet it ends up less than 1%. Again, that’s not to say that we shouldn’t be paying attention or doing what we can to minimize the effect, but let’s just ease up on the doomsday scenarios being peddled to drive clicks.
[Reply]
BWillie 04:17 PM 03-07-2020

Except one kills old people at a rate exponentially more than the flu. Hey, I'm over it. We really botched the prevention aspect. Might not had made a difference. But this likely is going to be as rampant & widespread as H1N1 was when we have to wait 1.5 years to get a vaccine.

Possibly up to a quarter of a million old people are going to die, that didn't have to.
[Reply]
Donger 04:29 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
It’s been said 100 times in this thread, but you are conflating mortality rates with case fatality rates. Additionally, that 3.4% is absolute worst case at this early stage and widely known to be overstated considering it doesn’t take into account cases that are undiagnosed. I would bet it ends up less than 1%. Again, that’s not to say that we shouldn’t be paying attention or doing what we can to minimize the effect, but let’s just ease up on the doomsday scenarios being peddled to drive clicks.
No, I'm not. The mortality rate, with the numbers we have right now, is 3.3%. 105,820 cases and 3,558 deaths.
[Reply]
wazu 04:29 PM 03-07-2020
North Korea has done an incredible job of containment.
[Reply]
Donger 04:30 PM 03-07-2020

Yes, and let's hope that nowhere near 61,000,000 get infected with this bug. I think the panic-buying is funny, so what you just said isn't applicable to me.
[Reply]
eDave 04:46 PM 03-07-2020
I consider you part of our United family and your safety remains our highest priority.

We are in the business of serving people and in the midst of this coronavirus outbreak it's important that we give you as much flexibility as possible when planning your next trip. But it's also important that we give you as much information as possible about the procedures we follow to clean our aircraft and maintain a sanitary environment once we're in the air.

Our teams are in daily contact with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), federal agencies and other global health organizations to share the most up-to-the-minute information to ensure the actions we're taking are comprehensive and appropriate.

So today, I wanted to personally reach out and share a few of the steps we are taking for you, our customer:

Before you fly
To give you the greatest flexibility, when you book any flight with us now through March 31, you can change it for free over the next 12 months – any ticket, any fare type, any destination.

On the ground
Our team of in-house medical experts and industrial hygienists oversee our aircraft cleaning procedures to ensure they meet or exceed all CDC guidelines. Hard surfaces such as lavatories, tray tables, window shades and armrests are thoroughly wiped down with a high-grade disinfectant and multi-purpose cleaner. And when we are advised by the CDC of a person who has traveled on board and is potentially exhibiting coronavirus symptoms, that aircraft is taken out of service and sent through a full decontamination process that includes our standard cleaning procedures plus washing ceilings and overhead bins and scrubbing the interior.

In the air
Our aircraft are equipped with state-of-the-art circulation systems, similar to those found in hospitals, which use a high-efficiency (HEPA) filter to circulate the air and remove more than 99% of airborne particles. We're also adjusting our inflight service to limit person-to-person contamination. This includes handing beverages directly to customers instead of allowing customers to touch a tray and ensuring all flight attendants wear gloves during service.

More information on each of these efforts can be found on the United Hub.

I know I speak for every member of our United family when I say that we take the greatest pride in the role we play in the lives of our customers, personally and professionally.

I want you to know that you can continue to rely on us. So, the next time we have the privilege of welcoming you aboard our aircraft, you can know our commitment to you remains as steadfast as ever.

Kind regards,

Oscar
Oscar Munoz
CEO
[Reply]
Donger 04:48 PM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by eDave:
I consider you part of our United family and your safety remains our highest priority.

We are in the business of serving people and in the midst of this coronavirus outbreak it's important that we give you as much flexibility as possible when planning your next trip. But it's also important that we give you as much information as possible about the procedures we follow to clean our aircraft and maintain a sanitary environment once we're in the air.

Our teams are in daily contact with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), federal agencies and other global health organizations to share the most up-to-the-minute information to ensure the actions we're taking are comprehensive and appropriate.

So today, I wanted to personally reach out and share a few of the steps we are taking for you, our customer:

Before you fly
To give you the greatest flexibility, when you book any flight with us now through March 31, you can change it for free over the next 12 months – any ticket, any fare type, any destination.

On the ground
Our team of in-house medical experts and industrial hygienists oversee our aircraft cleaning procedures to ensure they meet or exceed all CDC guidelines. Hard surfaces such as lavatories, tray tables, window shades and armrests are thoroughly wiped down with a high-grade disinfectant and multi-purpose cleaner. And when we are advised by the CDC of a person who has traveled on board and is potentially exhibiting coronavirus symptoms, that aircraft is taken out of service and sent through a full decontamination process that includes our standard cleaning procedures plus washing ceilings and overhead bins and scrubbing the interior.

In the air
Our aircraft are equipped with state-of-the-art circulation systems, similar to those found in hospitals, which use a high-efficiency (HEPA) filter to circulate the air and remove more than 99% of airborne particles. We're also adjusting our inflight service to limit person-to-person contamination. This includes handing beverages directly to customers instead of allowing customers to touch a tray and ensuring all flight attendants wear gloves during service.

More information on each of these efforts can be found on the United Hub.

I know I speak for every member of our United family when I say that we take the greatest pride in the role we play in the lives of our customers, personally and professionally.

I want you to know that you can continue to rely on us. So, the next time we have the privilege of welcoming you aboard our aircraft, you can know our commitment to you remains as steadfast as ever.

Kind regards,

Oscar
Oscar Munoz
CEO
And we give our GS members a SCUBA tank.
[Reply]
FD 05:08 PM 03-07-2020

Not sure what your point is or how this is a response. The range of outcomes from covid-19 is somewhere between a couple thousand dead and 100,000+ dead and this depends on whether we take it seriously or not. I personally would prefer we prevent tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths.
[Reply]
Page 65 of 3903
« First < 15556162636465 66676869751151655651065 > Last »
Up